Texas 2018

QuantumEcho
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Texas 2018

Post by QuantumEcho »

This was personally my best invitational experience. The proctors/students were very knowledge in the rules, and in their events personally. In my opinion, I loved the tests at this invitational. Virtually no question was "free" and it was an excellent experience overall. For a first time invitational, this was quite exceptional. I would like to thank Adi1008 & the others @ SLHS for organizing and running this invite smoothly and efficiently..
Seven Lakes Junior High ‘17, Obra D. Tompkins High School ‘21
Nick-Yay
Division: C
State: TX

Post by Nick-Yay »

QuantumEcho wrote:This was personally my best invitational experience. The proctors/students were very knowledge in the rules, and in their events personally. In my opinion, I loved the tests at this invitational. Virtually no question was "free" and it was an excellent experience overall. For a first time invitational, this was quite exceptional. I would like to thank Adi1008 & the others @ SLHS for organizing and running this invite smoothly and efficiently..
I thought the same. There were no delays (the awards started right at 7:00) and everything was very organized and well-planned. I'm honestly blown away, especially since this is their first invitational.
Tompkins High School '20

2017 State:
Hydrogeology: 1

2018 State:
Herpetology: 1
Science Word: 7
Rocks and Minerals: 11
Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

Thank you to everyone who attended our inaugural tournament today! We sincerely hope that the invitational was memorable and valuable for every team and it was truly a pleasure to give back to our amazing Science Olympiad community.

I'm incredibly proud of every person on this team for working so hard to ensure that this tournament would be a success, from spending months writing, revising, and reviewing (thank you to our alumni test reviewers!!) the tests to the workdays leading up to the tournament going late into the night. Furthermore, we're especially grateful for the support of our parent committees - from helping us run each event and grade papers to procuring donations and setting up signs, folders, and posters, their support and planning expertise was indubitably invaluable.

The goal of the Seven Lakes Invitational is to provide the best possible tournament for everyone involved, not only in quality, but also in comfort, through combining the best aspects of tournaments we've been to, from MIT and Golden Gate to UT and Rice. Many of our event supervisors were experts in the events they helped write and proctor, with numerous medals from tournaments like MIT and Nationals and did a great job writing extremely challenging, fair, and generally well-written tests. Knowing how difficult and time-consuming their jobs can be, we provided visiting coaches and volunteers with free breakfast and lunch to keep everyone well-fed throughout the day.

The final results are available on our website here and a Google Drive folder containing the keys to every exam will be sent out to coaches soon. We welcome any feedback at [email protected] and hope to see everyone back next year!
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
QuantumEcho

Post by QuantumEcho »

Good luck to everyone competing at Clements!
QuantumEcho

Post by QuantumEcho »

Rice Science Olympiad Invitational Results: (I forgot ranks 10-6)

5. Tompkins HS B
4. Clements HS A
3. Tompkins HS A
2. Seven Lakes HS B
1. Seven Lakes HS A
rafaelnadal

Post by rafaelnadal »

Forgot 10-7 but CyFalls got 6th :)
CyFalls HS '19

2017 State: 2nd place We've Got Your Number

2018: 7L/Clements/Rice/Districts/Reg/States

Anatomy & Physiology:: 10/-/15/2/1/-
Experimental Design: 6/2/10/-/-
Microbe Mission: 12/5/8/4/2/-
Mousetrap Vehicle 17/6/9/5/2/-
We've Got Your Number: -/2/-/1/1/-
Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Riptide »

Full Results here

10. LASA
9. Langham Creek A
8. Cinco Ranch
7. CyRanch A
6. CyFalls A
5. Tompkins HS B
4. Clements HS A
3. Tompkins HS A
2. Seven Lakes HS B
1. Seven Lakes HS A
UC Berkeley
Seven Lakes High School '19
JT880
State: DC

Post by JT880 »

What does everything think about Texas state this year? Any predictions?

Predictions:
1. Seven Lakes - strong placements at MIT (although there were a couple event bombs), plus they are probably motivated to win this year especially after following last year's upset
2. LASA - this team had a similar performance at MIT (however they had far more bombed events, won't hold this against them though), and they usually make it past state to nationals
3. Clements - i'm not really buying into the hype about clements; they are a fantastic team but they do not look as strong as they did last year. anything can happen though
4. Cy-Falls - consistent placings throughout this year and has been competitive against the unstacked big three
5. Tompkins - solid team, good placings at rice
Washington D.C.

2018 Events
Hovercraft, Optics, Thermodynamics, Dynamic Planet, Mousetrap Vehicle
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Div C Predictions:
1. LASA
2. Seven Lakes
3. Clements
4. Tompkins
5. CyFalls

Realistic Div C Predicitions:
1. LASA/Seven Lakes/Clements
2. LASA/Seven Lakes/Clements
3. LASA/Seven Lakes/Clements
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Nick-Yay

Post by Nick-Yay »

1. LASA - not really too sure for now, since they rarely bring stacked teams to invites.
2. Seven Lakes - not much to say here. Strong team, competitive
3. Clements - Honestly, the top 3 have always been these schools. Not too sure how Clements is this year, trailed behind the other two teams at MIT
4. Tompkins - Don't think they'll break through any of the trio this year (don't hate me team), but I don't see them falling below fourth
5. Cy-falls/Cinco Ranch - not too sure which one here, so I won't choose (historically it's Cy-falls though)
Tompkins High School '20

2017 State:
Hydrogeology: 1

2018 State:
Herpetology: 1
Science Word: 7
Rocks and Minerals: 11

Return to “2018 Regionals & States”