Division B:
1st: Montgomery Middle School
2nd: Hammarskjold Middle School
3rd: Tenakill Middle School

Division C:
1st: Livingston High School
2nd: Bergen County Academies
3rd: UCVTS

Congrats to all who participated! States bids posted Wednesday, January 17th.
John P. Stevens Class of 2015 (Go Hawks!)
Columbia University Class of 2019 (Go Lions!)
WhatScience?
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New Jersey 2018

Post by WhatScience? »

Anyone wanna make states predictions

On a sidenote, PA has hit 44.5% of our post count...we are clearly slacking
AnonymousStudier

Post by AnonymousStudier »

Div B because I am in Div B ;)

1) Community (81)
2) Grover (125)
3) Montgomery (154)
4) Hammarskjold (239)

added 4th because why not haha
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by whythelongface »

WhatScience? wrote:Anyone wanna make states predictions

Probably surpassed us in useful posts already though.

I'm biased, so I'll always put South top of the prediction, but if North can pick up their game (which they did at BVF) I can see them getting second, and Montgomery third.
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South/Grover for winning 2nd/1st place at NJ States!
knottingpurple

Post by knottingpurple »

whythelongface wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:Anyone wanna make states predictions

Probably surpassed us in useful posts already though.

I'm biased, so I'll always put South top of the prediction, but if North can pick up their game (which they did at BVF) I can see them getting second, and Montgomery third.
What, are you assuming JPS is gonna do what PHS did last year? That might've just been a fluke, and not a normal outcome for a team which improves tremendously at Regionals...

EDIT: Also, idk if Regionals for North was really a good indication of their overall strength, it might be Valley Forge was not them picking up their game but just them at their real strength.
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
WhatScience?

Post by WhatScience? »

Div B:

1)Community
2)Thomas Grover
3)Montgomery
4)Churchill
5)Hammarskjold
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by whythelongface »

knottingpurple wrote: What, are you assuming JPS is gonna do what PHS did last year? That might've just been a fluke, and not a normal outcome for a team which improves tremendously at Regionals...

EDIT: Also, idk if Regionals for North was really a good indication of their overall strength, it might be Valley Forge was not them picking up their game but just them at their real strength.
Seeing that JPS stacked their teams for regionals and that neither WW-P school did, I'm going to say that WW-P and Montgomery will top the list.

Also, I was talking about picking up their game since last year. They are looking scary, though.
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22

lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by lumosityfan »

whythelongface wrote:
knottingpurple wrote: What, are you assuming JPS is gonna do what PHS did last year? That might've just been a fluke, and not a normal outcome for a team which improves tremendously at Regionals...

Seeing that JPS stacked their teams for regionals and that neither WW-P school did, I'm going to say that WW-P and Montgomery will top the list.

Also, I was talking about picking up their game since last year. They are looking scary, though.
And you aren't assuming that JP could up its game as well? Remember that South fell behind North through the rest of the season last year before ramping it up right before States and winning it. Not guaranteeing that we will do that but there's always the possibility. (I say this because I genuinely believe the attitude has changed at JP so that while you can still have fun, the focus is winning and doing the best you can both individually and as a team. Before, it was just focus on your own events and thus we would be incredibly inconsistent. That's not the case this year, as you can see through regionals.) As for JP, I think we can get at least top 4. That being said, how far we go after that depends on how much we grow after regionals. If we go back to our old ways (remember we were within 4 points of North and South last year at regionals as well and, well, the rest didn't go as planned), we will be back to getting lower top 6 at States which isn't bad. But if we keep this up (which is a big if of course and even I'm encouraging them and those at JP who's reading this: Keep it up! Don't assume anything. Work your butt off to do well this year.), we can go far. Whether we break through the wall of North-South-Monty depends on how well those 3 do. Either way, seeing regions and Valley Forge, I'm even more scared than last year. This should be fun.

As for general states, as I portended earlier, it will be a bloodbath. Remember that South, North, and Monty were all within 22 points of each. Every one of those teams got better. So this should be fun. As per predictions, way too early to have any substantial predictions because as we know before, everyone thought North and Monty would win and, well, South won.) If I had to make one, I would say North, Monty, South, JP, SB, and EB, although the top 3 will be incredibly close (again within 20 points) and the bottom 3 will be fairly close (within 50 points).
John P. Stevens Class of 2015 (Go Hawks!)
Columbia University Class of 2019 (Go Lions!)
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by pb5754 »

Div B:
1. Community
2. Grover
3. Montgomery
4. Crossroads
5. Noor ul Iman
6. Churchill

Div C:
1. South
2. North
3. Montgomery
4. JPS
5. EB
6. SB

tbh the only one I'm confident of is community winning div b lol
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by whythelongface »

Community's score dropped quite a bit from last year - 19 to 41, I think. I've heard that Community always gets a few freshmen at North to compete and the freshmen generally sweep the events, but they stopped doing that this year. Would explain quite a lot. If they did that for States too, I'm a lot less confident in Community's chances of winning.

Also, I'm a bit surprised, because judging by results alone, North should be the consistent Division C champion, seeing that Community is North's feeder school, not South. I think a lot of it comes down to the differences between the differences between the Grover-South study culture and the Community-North study culture. Right now everything's fuzzy though, nothing has been defined. JPS sent a stacked team to UCC, where South didn't stack. North sent a stacked team to BVF and destroyed the PA teams, although whether they stacked I'm not sure. Monty ended up strong at CCC. None of the usual teams have actually pitted their A-teams against each other in competition, and we're not going to stack for Yale either. So I think it might be a bit early to predict for now.
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22

Return to “2018 Regionals & States”