whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Re: New Jersey 2018

Post by whythelongface »

Unome wrote:Seeing as there are so many NJ people now, you all can go maintain the regionals pages I created a few years back.
I did, I updated the latest results.

Speaking of medals, WhatScience? I for one medalled first and second in both my events, and I'll have you know I exclusively used publicly available tests and resources..

If you're going to claim people are gloating, maybe stop snubbing the other New Jersey teams? You're the one who took the competitive part of Science Olympiad too far.

On a side note, letting your team know how disappointed you are is not the way to motivate them. Taking your feelings before theirs is the trademark of a bad leader, in fact.
Last edited by whythelongface on January 10th, 2018, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South/Grover for winning 2nd/1st place at NJ States!
CMS AC
Division: B
Has thanked: 0

Post by CMS AC »

Hey! I'm a div b competitor that went to ucc yesterday.

can anybody that did road scholar message me? i have a question about the test.

thanks.
fanjiatian

Post by fanjiatian »

One reason why NJ Regionals may not be a reliable predictor of success at States is that less than half of the main events are run at Regionals :P A team that is able to cover 11 regular events + 2 trials well might be spread thin with 23 regular events + 2 trials.
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Anomaly »

fanjiatian wrote:One reason why NJ Regionals may not be a reliable predictor of success at States is that less than half of the main events are run at Regionals :P A team that is able to cover 11 regular events + 2 trials well might be spread thin with 23 regular events + 2 trials.
Very true... invitationals that host all events are more accurate for NJ teams
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
knottingpurple

Post by knottingpurple »

Anomaly wrote:
fanjiatian wrote:One reason why NJ Regionals may not be a reliable predictor of success at States is that less than half of the main events are run at Regionals :P A team that is able to cover 11 regular events + 2 trials well might be spread thin with 23 regular events + 2 trials.
Even then, most invitationals limit teams to 15 competitors per team, while NJ Regionals and States allow 18 regular team members, so teams will be spread even more thin at invitationals than they actually will be at States.

(Regionals, our team honestly had almost all our team members doing only 1 event, with a very few people doing 2, while at Regionals most people have to do around 3 events, and at States it's slightly less than 3 I think?)
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
shrewdPanther46

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

knottingpurple wrote:
Anomaly wrote:
Even then, most invitationals limit teams to 15 competitors per team, while NJ Regionals and States allow 18 regular team members, so teams will be spread even more thin at invitationals than they actually will be at States.

(Regionals, our team honestly had almost all our team members doing only 1 event, with a very few people doing 2, while at Regionals most people have to do around 3 events, and at States it's slightly less than 3 I think?)
But the NJ schedule only makes it difficult to do well in other invitationals as well at later competitions (which I feel are far more important)
WhatScience?

Post by WhatScience? »

Don't use private resources...

there is 1 public potions test

the other events maybe but potions...no way
lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by lumosityfan »

WhatScience? wrote:Don't use private resources...

Well it doesn't help potions and poisons has only happened this year so far. Not much resources by default.
John P. Stevens Class of 2015 (Go Hawks!)
Columbia University Class of 2019 (Go Lions!)
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

And that's where learning more basics outside of the endless practice tests can also kick in

But seriously tho... Although I never did Potions and Poisons bc 1) I was never in Div B and 2) it became an official event after I started college, I might still have some advice for that event anyways. And although what I'm about to say probably pertains more to the actual P&P thread rather than this one, based on what I understand about the event, knowing how to take tests (or whatever tests may exist for P&P since it's such a new event) is only one part, knowing a significant amount of fundamentals in chemistry/biology is what may seal the deal (like they always say, memorizing how to solve a problem is one thing, but if you know the fundamentals, then you can solve it anyways). Just as one example, you can only learn so much the fattail scorpion (or any of the other toxins/toxic living organisms for that matter, but let's just use that as an example for now) by taking practice tests, and for that matter, not every practice test may cover the fattail scorpion because not every test writer may choose to ask about it. So...if you can't get all you need to know from all the practice tests out there, where will you get the info from? Honestly, Wikipedia would probably even be a better resource for learning about it/those than a bunch of practice tests (I love it as much as teachers hate it). And even so, there are also lab practicals that you would need to know how to do that may not be fully covered by all existing practice tests either.

But bottom line about this is, you need a lot more than tests to succeed.

Also, you might wanna not trash talk your team/tell them how disappointed you are in them, and you might wanna delete the contents pertaining to that or, if you really think you need to, beg a mod to take the post down. You can feel frustration all you want, but that doesn't mean you should actually say it to them or, possibly even worse, publish it on the Internet. Based on what you said, I don't think you carefully considered how they might feel or react to what you said. You can imagine what outcome you hope to happen, but it doesn't matter what's in your head on that. It matters what the rest of your team may think about that, and I am certain they will not appreciate the things you said about them, and I also think it will not motivate them to do better. On the contrary, it might make them more frustrated and maybe even rebellious to you. By telling the entire Internet how you (supposedly) "carried the team" AND how disappointed you were in the rest of your teammates, it shows that you have a big ego and quite a bit of arrogance and selfishness, since you come off as only caring about yourself and not about them, and that's not something that others are gonna look up to - they'll see you more as trying to boss them around rather than trying to help them. (see here) And you might know the feeling of being bossed around - nobody likes that, I'm certain that you don't either. Good leadership has a steep learning curve, and by the looks of it, you've got a long way to go.

Don't despair too much tho - there's always next season, and more opportunities to learn how to get better at SciOly in general. Although I'm not from Jersey, I hope you heed the advice of myself anyways as well as that of many others on this site who have also given you some and use that to improve. (I'll be at Princeton, actually...just a fun fact)
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
WhatScience?

Post by WhatScience? »

Pikachu's advice|
pikachu4919 wrote:

And that's where learning more basics outside of the endless practice tests can also kick in

But seriously tho... Although I never did Potions and Poisons bc 1) I was never in Div B and 2) it became an official event after I started college, I might still have some advice for that event anyways. And although what I'm about to say probably pertains more to the actual P&P thread rather than this one, based on what I understand about the event, knowing how to take tests (or whatever tests may exist for P&P since it's such a new event) is only one part, knowing a significant amount of fundamentals in chemistry/biology is what may seal the deal (like they always say, memorizing how to solve a problem is one thing, but if you know the fundamentals, then you can solve it anyways). Just as one example, you can only learn so much the fattail scorpion (or any of the other toxins/toxic living organisms for that matter, but let's just use that as an example for now) by taking practice tests, and for that matter, not every practice test may cover the fattail scorpion because not every test writer may choose to ask about it. So...if you can't get all you need to know from all the practice tests out there, where will you get the info from? Honestly, Wikipedia would probably even be a better resource for learning about it/those than a bunch of practice tests (I love it as much as teachers hate it). And even so, there are also lab practicals that you would need to know how to do that may not be fully covered by all existing practice tests either.

But bottom line about this is, you need a lot more than tests to succeed.

Also, you might wanna not trash talk your team/tell them how disappointed you are in them, and you might wanna delete the contents pertaining to that or, if you really think you need to, beg a mod to take the post down. You can feel frustration all you want, but that doesn't mean you should actually say it to them or, possibly even worse, publish it on the Internet. Based on what you said, I don't think you carefully considered how they might feel or react to what you said. You can imagine what outcome you hope to happen, but it doesn't matter what's in your head on that. It matters what the rest of your team may think about that, and I am certain they will not appreciate the things you said about them, and I also think it will not motivate them to do better. On the contrary, it might make them more frustrated and maybe even rebellious to you. By telling the entire Internet how you (supposedly) "carried the team" AND how disappointed you were in the rest of your teammates, it shows that you have a big ego and quite a bit of arrogance and selfishness, since you come off as only caring about yourself and not about them, and that's not something that others are gonna look up to - they'll see you more as trying to boss them around rather than trying to help them. (see here) And you might know the feeling of being bossed around - nobody likes that, I'm certain that you don't either. Good leadership has a steep learning curve, and by the looks of it, you've got a long way to go.

Don't despair too much tho - there's always next season, and more opportunities to learn how to get better at SciOly in general. Although I'm not from Jersey, I hope you heed the advice of myself anyways as well as that of many others on this site who have also given you some and use that to improve. (I'll be at Princeton, actually...just a fun fact)

Thank you for your advice...I have edited that post........I did not been to come of as arrogant and I am sorry for ranting on this site

I hope you all understand that I was just really worried that I might not have gone to states which for me was a really scary prospect

Return to “2018 Regionals & States”