New Jersey 2018

whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Location: At some point (a,b,c) described by the vector parameters <x(t),y(t),z(t)> at some time t

Re: New Jersey 2018

Postby whythelongface » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:59 pm

WhatScience? wrote:
whythelongface wrote:
knottingpurple wrote:
True, I feel like everyone in B has somewhat given up because Community has won for such a long time, whereas C goes back and forth between North and South, Monty was super close, other teams beat them at Regionals...

If South sent our freshmen to Grover to compete, I can assure you the Division B outcome would be very different...

then why don't you...giving grover some nats experience would only benefit you guys in the long run...right

Does it though? Yes, Community goes to Nats, but how many times has North gone to Nats? Maybe there's something inherently wrong with that system, because the people at North aren't really any worse at science than the people at South or at Monty.
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"...a satellite enthusiast, a mineral, and a microbe."

To the South Science Club: Thank you for an amazing two years. I am proud of all of you and so glad to have been able to call the SSC my family. Good luck next year!

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:21 pm

whythelongface wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:
whythelongface wrote:If South sent our freshmen to Grover to compete, I can assure you the Division B outcome would be very different...

then why don't you...giving grover some nats experience would only benefit you guys in the long run...right

Does it though? Yes, Community goes to Nats, but how many times has North gone to Nats? Maybe there's something inherently wrong with that system, because the people at North aren't really any worse at science than the people at South or at Monty.

It comes down to what you prioritize. North is able to have freshmen compete with Community, which is a great team at the national level, without sacrificing too much success at the C level, and South is able to train up their freshmen at the C level to similar (generally greater, though less so recently) success, while also having a solid B team, albeit one that hasn't really been able to touch Community.

Would it be fun to see 9th graders compete with Grover one year to see if they can dethrone Community? Of course, it would. But different programs will prioritize B and C differently.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:38 pm

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
whythelongface wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:then why don't you...giving grover some nats experience would only benefit you guys in the long run...right

It comes down to what you prioritize. North is able to have freshmen compete with Community, which is a great team at the national level, without sacrificing too much success at the C level, and South is able to train up their freshmen at the C level to similar (generally greater, though less so recently) success, while also having a solid B team, albeit one that hasn't really been able to touch Community.

Would it be fun to see 9th graders compete with Grover one year to see if they can dethrone Community? Of course, it would. But different programs will prioritize B and C differently.

Also worth noting that 9th graders doing Div B doesn't necessarily hinder the Div C team (e.g. Solon).
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

shrewdPanther46

Postby shrewdPanther46 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:53 pm

Unome wrote:
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
whythelongface wrote:Does it though? Yes, Community goes to Nats, but how many times has North gone to Nats? Maybe there's something inherently wrong with that system, because the people at North aren't really any worse at science than the people at South or at Monty.

Also worth noting that 9th graders doing Div B doesn't necessarily hinder the Div C team (e.g. Solon).

I think that the value of freshman is being greatly over-estimated. It really comes down to hard work and willingness to practice. This can be clearly seen in potatoboi's example... last years CMS team had a core build around 8th graders, although the one freshman that their team had was really impressive in terms of SO. everyone is sort of thinking that freshman are the reason why cms wins. I honestly doubt it. Although it is great for a team to have some external support, I really think it just comes down to hard work...
salty

knottingpurple

Postby knottingpurple » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:43 pm

shrewdPanther46 wrote:
Unome wrote:
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:It comes down to what you prioritize. North is able to have freshmen compete with Community, which is a great team at the national level, without sacrificing too much success at the C level, and South is able to train up their freshmen at the C level to similar (generally greater, though less so recently) success, while also having a solid B team, albeit one that hasn't really been able to touch Community.

I think that the value of freshman is being greatly over-estimated. It really comes down to hard work and willingness to practice. This can be clearly seen in potatoboi's example... last years CMS team had a core build around 8th graders, although the one freshman that their team had was really impressive in terms of SO. everyone is sort of thinking that freshman are the reason why cms wins. I honestly doubt it. Although it is great for a team to have some external support, I really think it just comes down to hard work...

I know a lot of the best middle school sciolyers now at our school are now incredibly burnt out, to the point of not wanting to do scioly anymore in high school, I think sometimes having new people can be itself an advantage.
"She was determined to drop his acquaintance immediately, and she was very thankful that she had never been acquainted with him at all... she hated him so much that she was resolved never to mention his name again, and she should tell everybody she saw, how good-for-nothing he was."

shrewdPanther46

Postby shrewdPanther46 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:25 pm

knottingpurple wrote:
shrewdPanther46 wrote:
Unome wrote:Also worth noting that 9th graders doing Div B doesn't necessarily hinder the Div C team (e.g. Solon).

I know a lot of the best middle school sciolyers now at our school are now incredibly burnt out, to the point of not wanting to do scioly anymore in high school, I think sometimes having new people can be itself an advantage.

Thats a really good point- its really about how much you care about scioly... not about natural intellect, and that is reflected in scores
salty

WhatScience?
Division: B

Postby WhatScience? » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:00 pm

shrewdPanther46 wrote:
knottingpurple wrote:
shrewdPanther46 wrote:

Thats a really good point- its really about how much you care about scioly... not about natural intellect, and that is reflected in scores

This....no other way to say this....as an individual, I'm not overtly smart...above average maybe...but top tier, no....Then you have the smartest person in our grade..also on team

this person didn't place top 10 in their favorite event....I placed in all 3 of mine....

And this is not bragging, that person is a genius...just goes to show, scioly means work=rewards
"When you clean your room, you are increasing the total chaos of the universe" - Hank Green Crash Course (Entropy)

Events 2018

Thermodynamics, Potions and Poisons, Disease Detectives, Optics, and Towers

knottingpurple

Postby knottingpurple » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:04 pm

WhatScience? wrote:
shrewdPanther46 wrote:
knottingpurple wrote:

This....no other way to say this....as an individual, I'm not overtly smart...above average maybe...but top tier, no....Then you have the smartest person in our grade..also on team

this person didn't place top 10 in their favorite event....I placed in all 3 of mine....

And this is not bragging, that person is a genius...just goes to show, scioly means work=rewards

Also, reminder that your medal placements are not solely dependent on you, but also on other teams - you can work twice as hard as somebody in a different event, but if every team is working hard at your event, and very few teams are working hard at the other event, the other person might still place higher than you.
"She was determined to drop his acquaintance immediately, and she was very thankful that she had never been acquainted with him at all... she hated him so much that she was resolved never to mention his name again, and she should tell everybody she saw, how good-for-nothing he was."

WhatScience?

Postby WhatScience? » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:45 pm

knottingpurple wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:
shrewdPanther46 wrote:

Also, reminder that your medal placements are not solely dependent on you, but also on other teams - you can work twice as hard as somebody in a different event, but if every team is working hard at your event, and very few teams are working hard at the other event, the other person might still place higher than you.

This reminds of an an interesting conversation I had with my potions partner on the difference in between easy, medium, and extremely difficult tests...in easy tests, one or 2 questions wrong is multiple places dropped...on extremely difficult ones, a couple lucky guesses mean rising a couple places...on medium difficulty, somewhere in between
"When you clean your room, you are increasing the total chaos of the universe" - Hank Green Crash Course (Entropy)

Events 2018

whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Location: At some point (a,b,c) described by the vector parameters <x(t),y(t),z(t)> at some time t

Postby whythelongface » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:46 pm

WhatScience? wrote:
shrewdPanther46 wrote:
knottingpurple wrote:

This...no other way to say this...as a collective, we think you're humblebragging...maybe not all of us...but most of us, yes...

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 55256.html
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"...a satellite enthusiast, a mineral, and a microbe."

To the South Science Club: Thank you for an amazing two years. I am proud of all of you and so glad to have been able to call the SSC my family. Good luck next year!

WhatScience?

Postby WhatScience? » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:28 am

whythelongface wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:
shrewdPanther46 wrote:

This...no other way to say this...as a collective, we think you're humblebragging...maybe not all of us...but most of us, yes...

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 55256.html

don't know what that is but no, I am not..those are my genuine thoughts...what do I gain from bragging here...most of y'all are wayyyyyyyy better than me at scioly

Events 2018

lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Postby lumosityfan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:47 pm

Bunch of NJ information just came out! Enjoy :D

State Bids: http://njscienceolympiad.org/tournament ... index.html
Event Schedule: http://njscienceolympiad.org/tournament ... ev0117.pdf
Also, trial event information here: http://njscienceolympiad.org/events/trial/index.html There will be 2 trial events.

To ease your transition into finding out who made states, here's a list for you:
Division B:
Al-Ghazaly Jr HS
Alpine MS
Central Jersey College Prep Charter
Churchill Jr HS
Community MS
Cranbury School
Crossroads MS
Demarest MS
Glenfield MS
Hammarskjold MS
Haworth Public School
Hillsborough MS
Hoboken Dual Language Charter
Medford Memorial MS
Montgomery Upper MS
Mount Olive MS
Noor-Ul-Iman School
Paternson Academy for Gifted/Talented
Pond Road MS
Primoris Academy
Rising Star Academy
Tenfaly MS
Tenakill MS
Thomas Edison EnergySmart Charter
Thomas Grover MS
Voorhees MS
William R. Satz MS
Division C:
Bergen County Academies
Cherry Hill HS East
East Brunswick HS
Governor Livingston HS
Hillsborough HS
Holmdel HS
JP Stevens HS
Lawrence HS
Livingston HS
Middlesex County Academy
Millburn HS
Montgomery HS
Montville Twp HS
Noor-Ul-Iman School
Parsippany HS
Princeton Day School
Princeton HS
Randolph HS
Ridge HS
Robbinsville HS
Somerset Co Vo/Tech
Tenafly HS
UCVTS
West Windsor Plainsboro HS North
West Windsor Plainsboro HS South
Westfield HS

Congrats to those who made states!
JP Stevens 2015, Columbia University 2019
See my favorite teams' event history: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
2016-18 UCC Regionals Astronomy ES, 2017 Princeton Invitational Helicopters ES

shrewdPanther46

Postby shrewdPanther46 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:49 pm

Hi guys, just want to ask you about how the states schedule works out for your team...

Im a div B competitor, and the schedule doesn't really make much sense. It seems as though they are going out of their way to create conflicts. For example, they have both chem events at the same time. It seems to be a near opposite to the nationals schedule. Thoughts?

Also, is there any way a change in schedule can take place (experienced ppl pls explain)?

Thanks!
salty

WhatScience?

Postby WhatScience? » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:05 pm

shrewdPanther46 wrote:Hi guys, just want to ask you about how the states schedule works out for your team...

Im a div B competitor, and the schedule doesn't really make much sense. It seems as though they are going out of their way to create conflicts. For example, they have both chem events at the same time. It seems to be a near opposite to the nationals schedule. Thoughts?

Also, is there any way a change in schedule can take place (experienced ppl pls explain)?

Thanks!

A schedule change generally can't take place...they put a lot of things into these schedules...my heart goes out to you because it's rough these conflicts...

However, other events do open up so you should be open and check it out

And I don't think it's near opposite..in fact, they have thermo and optics for self schedule which is nice

Either way

good luck to you at competition

Events 2018

WhatScience?

Postby WhatScience? » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:12 pm

lumosityfan wrote:Bunch of NJ information just came out! Enjoy :D

State Bids: http://njscienceolympiad.org/tournament ... index.html
Event Schedule: http://njscienceolympiad.org/tournament ... ev0117.pdf
Also, trial event information here: http://njscienceolympiad.org/events/trial/index.html There will be 2 trial events.

To ease your transition into finding out who made states, here's a list for you:
Division B:
Al-Ghazaly Jr HS
Alpine MS
Central Jersey College Prep Charter
Churchill Jr HS
Community MS
Cranbury School
Crossroads MS
Demarest MS
Glenfield MS
Hammarskjold MS
Haworth Public School
Hillsborough MS
Hoboken Dual Language Charter
Medford Memorial MS
Montgomery Upper MS
Mount Olive MS
Noor-Ul-Iman School
Paternson Academy for Gifted/Talented
Pond Road MS
Primoris Academy
Rising Star Academy
Tenfaly MS
Tenakill MS
Thomas Edison EnergySmart Charter
Thomas Grover MS
Voorhees MS
William R. Satz MS
Division C:
Bergen County Academies
Cherry Hill HS East
East Brunswick HS
Governor Livingston HS
Hillsborough HS
Holmdel HS
JP Stevens HS
Lawrence HS
Livingston HS
Middlesex County Academy
Millburn HS
Montgomery HS
Montville Twp HS
Noor-Ul-Iman School
Parsippany HS
Princeton Day School
Princeton HS
Randolph HS
Ridge HS
Robbinsville HS
Somerset Co Vo/Tech
Tenafly HS
UCVTS
West Windsor Plainsboro HS North
West Windsor Plainsboro HS South
Westfield HS

Congrats to those who made states!

Lol lumo, you had this up before the state website did

BTW, where do we register for time slots

Events 2018

Return to “2018 Regionals and States”