Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Re: Indiana 2018

Post by syo_astro » March 18th, 2018, 10:18 pm

pikachu4919 wrote:
hippo9 wrote:
pikachu4919 wrote:
No, they will not. Indiana has always (to my memory) had a no return, no release policy on all their Regional and State Tournament exams.
I understand not releasing they most likely won't release tests, but what about the scores for build events like Mission, Mousetrap, Coaster etc?
But then if they released raw scores then people would demand for release of tests as well since usually, they're released together.
...? I've definitely seen cases where only top build scores released (at least when I competed in NYS, but I think also other times with the forums). There are many cases where all people want are scores and not even tests (read: many nats threads...).

Note: Won't bring up exact reasons for not releasing scores as I don't know them. They probably exist, though, and would require influencing / discussing with the state directors. I don't necessarily think scores are all helpful (for various reasons, with some exceptions), but there is more logic probably why top scores for builds can be very useful, which is totally separate from tests.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

dcrxcode
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IN
Been thanked: 0

Post by dcrxcode » March 19th, 2018, 7:19 am

eddprste wrote:
Does anyone know if the photos taken of the teams onstage will be posted anywhere? Also, congrats to Adams for their first trophy at state!
They haven't been posted in the past (to my knowledge) but if you emailed the state director, they might be able to send them to you.

Congrats to Adams!!

pikachu4919

Post by pikachu4919 » March 19th, 2018, 8:38 am

dcrxcode wrote:
eddprste wrote:
Does anyone know if the photos taken of the teams onstage will be posted anywhere? Also, congrats to Adams for their first trophy at state!
They haven't been posted in the past (to my knowledge) but if you emailed the state director, they might be able to send them to you.

Congrats to Adams!!
I'm not sure if this'll happen or not, but with the increased social media presence this year, I'm guessing they might post the photos on their Facebook page? We'll see though. And yes, huge congratulations to John Adams for breaking into the Top 5 :D
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

pikachu4919's Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Rate my tests!

SciNerd42

Post by SciNerd42 » March 19th, 2018, 4:05 pm

Rate the test

Ecology (B): I was disappointed to see a 22 multiple choice test for 36 teams. Let alone Part 3 in the manual which is supposed to make up 1/3 of the test was absent. It wasn't worth the 9 months I spent studying the event.

Disease Detectives (B): Exactly what you want in a state test. Lots of questions. Lots of math. Lots of vocabulary.

Herpetology (B): I loved that we had specimens and not just pictures. Questions were well written and covered everything I had in my binder.

Optics (B): I wish they would quit giving us the same test as the high schoolers.

Alex-RCHS
Division: C
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS » March 19th, 2018, 5:39 pm

How did Carmel and Munster stack up at regionals/invites? Because that huge of a gap at states seems like it should have been more predictable.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022

Polar

Post by Polar » March 19th, 2018, 6:08 pm

Alex-RCHS wrote:How did Carmel and Munster stack up at regionals/invites? Because that huge of a gap at states seems like it should have been more predictable.
Both Carmel and Munster won 1st at their respective regionals. Munster actually went to a Lake Central invite and beating them there, but losing to them at state.

Polar

Post by Polar » March 19th, 2018, 6:10 pm

SciNerd42 wrote:Rate the test

Ecology (B): I was disappointed to see a 22 multiple choice test for 36 teams. Let alone Part 3 in the manual which is supposed to make up 1/3 of the test was absent. It wasn't worth the 9 months I spent studying the event.

Disease Detectives (B): Exactly what you want in a state test. Lots of questions. Lots of math. Lots of vocabulary.

Herpetology (B): I loved that we had specimens and not just pictures. Questions were well written and covered everything I had in my binder.

Optics (B): I wish they would quit giving us the same test as the high schoolers.
For D Planet, division b and c tests were exactly the same: 18 MC and 3 free response, except division b only had to do 2 of the free responses.

How did you place in your events?

dcrxcode
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dcrxcode » March 19th, 2018, 6:41 pm

Alex-RCHS wrote:How did Carmel and Munster stack up at regionals/invites? Because that huge of a gap at states seems like it should have been more predictable.
They hadn't competed head to head all year long in a competition, which was different from previous years, in which Munster typically beat Carmel in every invite.

pikachu4919

Post by pikachu4919 » March 19th, 2018, 7:01 pm

dcrxcode wrote:
They hadn't competed head to head all year long in a competition, which was different from previous years, in which Munster typically beat Carmel in every invite.
Yeah, I found it hard to predict where the two would fall in relation to each other because of the fact that they didn't go to any of the same competitions until state this season. And in comparison to Lake Central and the Bloomingtons as well, since we usually only see Lake Central at invites where we may not have our top squad competing or split, and there's very little data on the Bloomingtons since they don't seem to travel THAT much due to their location.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

pikachu4919's Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Rate my tests!

GhostPants_

Post by GhostPants_ » March 19th, 2018, 8:03 pm

Does anyone know when the full results will be released?

Return to “2018 Regionals & States”