Idaho 2018

Nerd_Bunny
Division: C
State: ID
Has thanked: 0

Re: Idaho 2018

Post by Nerd_Bunny »

Is there any way to get tests back from certain events? One A&P question is bothering me so much yet I can't find out what it was. Anyone have a way to do this?
Events: A&P, DD, Circuit Lab
States/Nats
2017 DD: 1/16
2018 A&P: 1/29
2019 A&P: 1/22
2019 PM: 1/22 
If you're curious...yes, I like rabbits.
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Nerd_Bunny wrote:Is there any way to get tests back from certain events? One A&P question is bothering me so much yet I can't find out what it was. Anyone have a way to do this?
Generally (i.e. >99% of the time) regional and state tournaments don't release taken tests, although a few release digitals (e.g. UT-Austin) and occasionally individual event supervisors may release their tests.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Tailsfan101

Post by Tailsfan101 »

It occurred to me last night, while I was looking at the score sheet, just how we won. So, about a week before state, our team still had one event not covered: Meteorology. One of my teammates volunteered then to take on the event and save us a few points. Because there were 31 teams competing, we would have gotten 32 points in Meteorology had they not competed. Instead, they earned 10th place. Seeing as St. Joe's was only 12 points behind us, we would not have won if this had not been taken on.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Was it confirmed that St. Joseph's really sent unstacked teams? I don't know Idaho well at all, but that would be an incredibly unwise decision. It's also possible that their "other" teams were simply also quite good.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
Tailsfan101

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Alex-RCHS wrote:Was it confirmed that St. Joseph's really sent unstacked teams? I don't know Idaho well at all, but that would be an incredibly unwise decision. It's also possible that their "other" teams were simply also quite good.
I believe their teams were somewhat stacked; However, because their five teams that finished worse than 2nd beat the 2nd place team in so many events, it would have greatly improved their overall score by sending just one team, most assuredly enough to win.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Nerd_Bunny wrote:Is there any way to get tests back from certain events? One A&P question is bothering me so much yet I can't find out what it was. Anyone have a way to do this?
Best way is to get the name of the supervisor and try to find them on facebook or linked in or maybe get their email through the tournament director if possible
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Tailsfan101

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Here's Division B results manually stacked:
1. St. Joseph's Catholic School (67)
2. Treasure Valley Homeschool (114)
3. Sacred Heart Catholic School (154)
4. Fairmont Junior High School (183)
5. North Junior High School (204)

I have no regrets.
RoboStudent
Been thanked: 0

Post by RoboStudent »

Hello all, I figure I might as well post a 'recap' of my time at state this past weekend. Let me start off by respnding to what has been said regarding St. Joe's. I was part of the last class to attend Nationals with St. Joe's, and based on my observations (and maybe some information) I am prepared to say that St. Joe's is probably phasing out their program. I noticed this past weekend that the two eigth-grade (or 'varsity') St. Joe's teams had talent, shall I say...distributed, rather than stacked. I believe in my humble opinion that St. Joe's would have won decisively if teams were more strategically picked.

Now that that's out of the way, thet me talk about my time at the competition breifly.

Mousetrap vehicle (4): Very well run event. I would like to give a shoutout to the father/son pair that ran this event (as well as mission possible last year). They were highly knowledgeable and dealt with setbacks well.

Optics (6): Once again, I can't complain. It was run by what I assume are BSU students, and they kept things well organized.

Fermi Questions (6): Very hard test. I must say it fit the criteria in difficulty, but it didn't seem to be a good fermi test in regards to the fact that there were categories that had information presented first to assist with the test.

I want to say thanks to the volunteers, and thanks to BSU for hosting us. Two things I'd like to see in the future: better signs directing to events, and (if possible) a gym to do awards in. The room wan't quite big enough, and the atmosphere was just different in a small room. I also want to give a shoutout to North, Rigby, and Twin Falls on great performances. Good luck to the Homeschoolers.
Idaho SO
Bishop Kelly High School
RoboStudent's Userpage
taelor15

Post by taelor15 »

RoboStudent wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote:Predictions:

Division B
1. Saint Joseph's
2. Treasure Valley
3. Fairmont
4. Sacred Heart
5. Saint Paul's

Division C
1. Treasure Valley
2. Bishop Kelly
3. Twin Falls
4. Capital
5. Rigby
I think these predictiona are good, but you seem to have accidentally placed the number 2 next to Bishop Kelly...
taelor15

Post by taelor15 »

MissAmargasaurus wrote:Wow, what a great day! I'm so so excited to be attending nationals again! Everything seemed great, I'm really happy with how well hosting was at BSU. Can't wait to see how it improves next year. And our team finished with 36 points, wow!

Now for my thoughts on each of my events.

Herpetology (1st): Very well run event! The stations were a great change after having powerpoints for a few years. I found the questions to be of a good difficulty, not too easy but also not so hard you couldn't answer for a majority of them. There were only 6 questions I believe that me and my partner could not answer/ran out of time for, 2 minutes surprisingly was enough time for almost every station! I think the only criticism I would have is that I found the station rotation to be confusing at the beginning, but as the event went on it got easier. I'd suggest marking the paper bags/backs of the paper with the station number in order to make things go smoothly in the future, and that I think the answer sheet could of had more room for writing as some of the scientific names can get VERY long.

Experimental Design (1st): Also well run! I was not expecting that topic, I assumed we'd probably get something based on flight considering the large room. Having the rubric available was both good and bad I feel, haha! It was helpful to have (especially for keeping things in order) considering we did not have a template to write on, but at the same time it did remove the competitive edge a team can have from having the rubric memorized. Sorry to whoever got our materials, I couldn't untie the knot on the washers, oops!

Ecology: (2nd): Not bad, but also not great too, y'know? I found the test to be a bit too easy, with only 2-3 questions that I feel were hard enough for a state level. I think the length of it could of been doubled, along with math questions as there were none on it. It was a nice test though, I was just hoping for something more challenging.
I don't know. The Herpetology test seemed really unorganized, at least in my time slot. Several teams got messed up and missed stations. However it was better than last year's invasive's powerpoint.

Return to “2018 Regionals & States”