State Tournament: 4/28/18 at Ohio State University
Assistant Coach and Alumni ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Co-Director - Northeast Ohio Region

RJohnson
Division: C
State: OH

Re: Ohio 2018

Postby RJohnson » September 6th, 2017, 9:47 am

I don't know if this affects anyone else here, but apparently Ohio and NAQT's Small School National Championship are now on the same day. I've gone to both for the past three years and I was wondering if the OHSO people would ever consider moving the tournament dates... Would love to know if this is an issue for others, because if it is, we might have a stronger case...

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad

Postby nicholasmaurer » September 6th, 2017, 6:30 pm

RJohnson wrote:I don't know if this affects anyone else here, but apparently Ohio and NAQT's Small School National Championship are now on the same day. I've gone to both for the past three years and I was wondering if the OHSO people would ever consider moving the tournament dates... Would love to know if this is an issue for others, because if it is, we might have a stronger case...

I don't know how common of an issue this conflict will be. However, I do know that OHSO will likely not be able to consider another date. The date is based upon the availability of facilities (e.g. French Field House) at OSU, and I believe this was the only Saturday available in the month of April.

chalker

Postby chalker » September 6th, 2017, 7:05 pm

RJohnson wrote:I don't know if this affects anyone else here, but apparently Ohio and NAQT's Small School National Championship are now on the same day. I've gone to both for the past three years and I was wondering if the OHSO people would ever consider moving the tournament dates... Would love to know if this is an issue for others, because if it is, we might have a stronger case...

It's not going to be possible to move the State tournament. Notice that it's almost a month later this year and the reason is due to availability of facilities at OSU. We book things a year in advance and unfortunately got shut out of a lot of locations we need for early April next year.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

smurphy00

Postby smurphy00 » September 8th, 2017, 1:21 pm

chalker wrote:It's not going to be possible to move the State tournament. Notice that it's almost a month later this year and the reason is due to availability of facilities at OSU. We book things a year in advance and unfortunately got shut out of a lot of locations we need for early April next year.

Was wondering why states was a lot later for 2018. That explains it!
2018 Events
Herpetology / Ecology / Towers / Forensics / Microbe Mission

jgrischow1
Division: B

Postby jgrischow1 » September 26th, 2017, 6:16 am

nicholasmaurer wrote:State website

Division B Invitational Tournaments:

St. Ignatius - 11/18/17
Northview - 12/9/17
Westlake - 1/6/18
Kenston - 1/13/18
Northmont - 1/13/18
Centerville - 1/27/18
Solon - 2/3/18
Southview - 2/10/18
Mentor - 2/17/18
New Albany - 2/17/18
West Liberty-Salem - 3/3/18

Division C Invitational Tournaments:

Northview - 12/9/17
Westlake - 1/6/18
Kenston - 1/13/18
Northmont - 1/13/18
Centerville - 1/27/18
Solon - 2/3/18
Southview - 2/10/18
Mentor - 2/17/18
New Albany - 2/17/18
West Liberty-Salem - 3/3/18

Regional Tournaments:

Northeastern - 2/24/18 at Mentor High School
Northern - 3/3/18 at St. Ignatius High School
Southwestern - 3/3/18 at Xavier University
Eastern - 3/10/18 at University of Akron
Central - 3/10/18 at Grandview Heights High School
Southeastern - 3/10/18 at Marietta College
Western - 3/17/18 at Piqua High School
Northwestern - 3/17/18 at Bowling Green State University

State Tournament: 4/28/18 at Ohio State University

Central tourney has been changed to 3/17 per https://ohso.osu.edu/tournaments/region ... tournament

19sawickin
State: PA

Postby 19sawickin » November 8th, 2017, 4:35 pm

Has Ohio been trying to standardize their invitational/regional/state tournaments to more closely match the nationals schedule? I ask because PA has affirmed their commitment to doing just that this year, and Northview's schedule almost perfectly matches the PA State Tournament's preliminary schedule. If this is the case, is it safe to assume that the majority of the other Ohio invitationals will follow the same pattern - specifically Kenston and Solon?

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Postby nicholasmaurer » November 8th, 2017, 4:51 pm

19sawickin wrote:Has Ohio been trying to standardize their invitational/regional/state tournaments to more closely match the nationals schedule? I ask because PA has affirmed their commitment to doing just that this year, and Northview's schedule almost perfectly matches the PA State Tournament's preliminary schedule. If this is the case, is it safe to assume that the majority of the other Ohio invitationals will follow the same pattern - specifically Kenston and Solon?

To my knowledge, there is not a concerted effort by the state office to encourage use of the National Tournament schedule at invitational and regional tournaments. The Solon High School Invitational will follow the National Tournament schedule, but that is a choice we make independently. I believe the State Tournament schedule is mostly determined by space availability at OSU, and so while they try to create similar conflicts as the National Tournament schedule, they are not always successful.

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » November 8th, 2017, 5:43 pm

nicholasmaurer wrote:
19sawickin wrote:Has Ohio been trying to standardize their invitational/regional/state tournaments to more closely match the nationals schedule? I ask because PA has affirmed their commitment to doing just that this year, and Northview's schedule almost perfectly matches the PA State Tournament's preliminary schedule. If this is the case, is it safe to assume that the majority of the other Ohio invitationals will follow the same pattern - specifically Kenston and Solon?

To my knowledge, there is not a concerted effort by the state office to encourage use of the National Tournament schedule at invitational and regional tournaments. The Solon High School Invitational will follow the National Tournament schedule, but that is a choice we make independently. I believe the State Tournament schedule is mostly determined by space availability at OSU, and so while they try to create similar conflicts as the National Tournament schedule, they are not always successful.

What does "affirmed their commitment" mean wrt invitationals...
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

19sawickin

Postby 19sawickin » November 9th, 2017, 1:54 pm

Unome wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:

What does "affirmed their commitment" mean wrt invitationals...

At one of the coaches clinics they apparently stated that invitationals held in PA as well as regionals and states would do their best to align their schedules with the national schedule. It's not an official statement or something, but the effort's nice I think.

Unome

Postby Unome » December 9th, 2017, 6:50 pm

Per Twitter, Mason took 1st and 2nd. Anyone have the rest of the scores?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Froggie
Division: B

Postby Froggie » December 9th, 2017, 7:45 pm

Unome wrote:Per Twitter, Mason took 1st and 2nd. Anyone have the rest of the scores?

Wait which invite?
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie

antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Postby antoine_ego » December 9th, 2017, 8:09 pm

Froggie wrote:
Unome wrote:Per Twitter, Mason took 1st and 2nd. Anyone have the rest of the scores?

Wait which invite?

I presume Sylvania-Northview
Rest in Peace Len Joeris

National Placings
2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!

Acton-Boxborough Regional High School '19

19sawickin

Postby 19sawickin » December 9th, 2017, 8:19 pm

antoine_ego wrote:
Froggie wrote:

Wait which invite?

Div B results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... bLblj_U0eI

Div C Results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... hVbq5GC6vA

Unome

Postby Unome » December 9th, 2017, 8:44 pm

19sawickin wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:
Froggie wrote:Wait which invite?

Div B results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... bLblj_U0eI

Div C Results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... hVbq5GC6vA

Very good performance by Mason. Solon looks rather weak, but at this time in the season they tend to - I wouldn't make any judgements until after MIT. Boca Raton seemed unusually weak, though I'd attribute it to travel-related things. Mentor wasn't there this year, which is a little unusual.

Tower Heights' showing was very good, with a composite score of 85; 1st and 2nd is especially good since it's over Meads Mill. Nothing else major in B.
Userpage

Return to “2018 Regionals and States”