Central - 3/10/18 at Grandview Heights High School
Southeastern - 3/10/18 at Marietta College
Western - 3/17/18 at Piqua High School
Northwestern - 3/17/18 at Bowling Green State University

State Tournament: 4/28/18 at Ohio State University
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
RJohnson
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ohio 2018

Post by RJohnson »

I don't know if this affects anyone else here, but apparently Ohio and NAQT's Small School National Championship are now on the same day. I've gone to both for the past three years and I was wondering if the OHSO people would ever consider moving the tournament dates... Would love to know if this is an issue for others, because if it is, we might have a stronger case...
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad

Post by nicholasmaurer »

RJohnson wrote:I don't know if this affects anyone else here, but apparently Ohio and NAQT's Small School National Championship are now on the same day. I've gone to both for the past three years and I was wondering if the OHSO people would ever consider moving the tournament dates... Would love to know if this is an issue for others, because if it is, we might have a stronger case...
I don't know how common of an issue this conflict will be. However, I do know that OHSO will likely not be able to consider another date. The date is based upon the availability of facilities (e.g. French Field House) at OSU, and I believe this was the only Saturday available in the month of April.

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
chalker

Post by chalker »

RJohnson wrote:I don't know if this affects anyone else here, but apparently Ohio and NAQT's Small School National Championship are now on the same day. I've gone to both for the past three years and I was wondering if the OHSO people would ever consider moving the tournament dates... Would love to know if this is an issue for others, because if it is, we might have a stronger case...
It's not going to be possible to move the State tournament. Notice that it's almost a month later this year and the reason is due to availability of facilities at OSU. We book things a year in advance and unfortunately got shut out of a lot of locations we need for early April next year.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
smurphy00
Division: C

Post by smurphy00 »

chalker wrote:It's not going to be possible to move the State tournament. Notice that it's almost a month later this year and the reason is due to availability of facilities at OSU. We book things a year in advance and unfortunately got shut out of a lot of locations we need for early April next year.
Was wondering why states was a lot later for 2018. That explains it!
Herpetology / Ecology / Towers / Forensics / Microbe Mission
jgrischow1
Division: B

Post by jgrischow1 »

nicholasmaurer wrote:State website

Division B Invitational Tournaments:

St. Ignatius - 11/18/17
Northview - 12/9/17
Westlake - 1/6/18
Kenston - 1/13/18
Northmont - 1/13/18
Centerville - 1/27/18
Solon - 2/3/18
Southview - 2/10/18
Mentor - 2/17/18
New Albany - 2/17/18
West Liberty-Salem - 3/3/18

Division C Invitational Tournaments:

Northview - 12/9/17
Westlake - 1/6/18
Kenston - 1/13/18
Northmont - 1/13/18
Centerville - 1/27/18
Solon - 2/3/18
Southview - 2/10/18
Mentor - 2/17/18
New Albany - 2/17/18
West Liberty-Salem - 3/3/18

Regional Tournaments:

Northeastern - 2/24/18 at Mentor High School
Northern - 3/3/18 at St. Ignatius High School
Southwestern - 3/3/18 at Xavier University
Eastern - 3/10/18 at University of Akron
Central - 3/10/18 at Grandview Heights High School
Southeastern - 3/10/18 at Marietta College
Western - 3/17/18 at Piqua High School
Northwestern - 3/17/18 at Bowling Green State University

State Tournament: 4/28/18 at Ohio State University
Central tourney has been changed to 3/17 per https://ohso.osu.edu/tournaments/region ... tournament
19sawickin
State: PA

Post by 19sawickin »

Has Ohio been trying to standardize their invitational/regional/state tournaments to more closely match the nationals schedule? I ask because PA has affirmed their commitment to doing just that this year, and Northview's schedule almost perfectly matches the PA State Tournament's preliminary schedule. If this is the case, is it safe to assume that the majority of the other Ohio invitationals will follow the same pattern - specifically Kenston and Solon?
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Post by nicholasmaurer »

19sawickin wrote:Has Ohio been trying to standardize their invitational/regional/state tournaments to more closely match the nationals schedule? I ask because PA has affirmed their commitment to doing just that this year, and Northview's schedule almost perfectly matches the PA State Tournament's preliminary schedule. If this is the case, is it safe to assume that the majority of the other Ohio invitationals will follow the same pattern - specifically Kenston and Solon?
To my knowledge, there is not a concerted effort by the state office to encourage use of the National Tournament schedule at invitational and regional tournaments. The Solon High School Invitational will follow the National Tournament schedule, but that is a choice we make independently. I believe the State Tournament schedule is mostly determined by space availability at OSU, and so while they try to create similar conflicts as the National Tournament schedule, they are not always successful.

Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

nicholasmaurer wrote:
19sawickin wrote:Has Ohio been trying to standardize their invitational/regional/state tournaments to more closely match the nationals schedule? I ask because PA has affirmed their commitment to doing just that this year, and Northview's schedule almost perfectly matches the PA State Tournament's preliminary schedule. If this is the case, is it safe to assume that the majority of the other Ohio invitationals will follow the same pattern - specifically Kenston and Solon?
To my knowledge, there is not a concerted effort by the state office to encourage use of the National Tournament schedule at invitational and regional tournaments. The Solon High School Invitational will follow the National Tournament schedule, but that is a choice we make independently. I believe the State Tournament schedule is mostly determined by space availability at OSU, and so while they try to create similar conflicts as the National Tournament schedule, they are not always successful.
What does "affirmed their commitment" mean wrt invitationals...
Userpage

19sawickin
State: PA

Post by 19sawickin »

Unome wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
What does "affirmed their commitment" mean wrt invitationals...
At one of the coaches clinics they apparently stated that invitationals held in PA as well as regionals and states would do their best to align their schedules with the national schedule. It's not an official statement or something, but the effort's nice I think.

Return to “2018 Regionals & States”