Ohio 2018

Name
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Ohio 2018

Post by Name »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
They could just let Ohio have 4 national slots for Div C and give 3 to Texas :?:
While your at it give NY some more. (But like there's so many teams that are good enough to qualify that are being blocked out by things like DC this'll never happen without making drastic changes to the nats system. Maybe making the competition include Thursday/Sunday? I'm probably missing some big factor that makes this implauseable)
South Woods MS, Syosset HS '21
BirdSO TD/ES
Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi, Astro, Code, Fossils
1st place MIT Codebusters 2019-2020
1st place NYS Fermi Questions (2019), Astronomy and Codebusters (2021)
Science Olympiad Founder's Scholarship winner
ScottMaurer19
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 0

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Name wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:
They could just let Ohio have 4 national slots for Div C and give 3 to Texas :?:
While your at it give NY some more. (But like there's so many teams that are good enough to qualify that are being blocked out by things like DC this'll never happen without making drastic changes to the nats system. Maybe making the competition include Thursday/Sunday? I'm probably missing some big factor that makes this implauseable)
The main factor would be space and facilities at the venue I think. That and how are the extra slots assigned.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
kate!
Division: C
State: NY

Post by kate! »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
Name wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:
The main factor would be space and facilities at the venue I think. That and how are the extra slots assigned.
To be honest, I don't think there'll be states getting 3 bids any time in the future without giving every state 2 bids first, no matter how big the state that wants 3 bids is. 2 bids in New York is pretty fair because it encourages competition, usually the top 3 teams are fighting to get in, while if you added 3 bids, there wouldn't be enough strong competition.
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
SciolyGuy411

Post by SciolyGuy411 »

Anyone know what happened to Mentor in Heli? There were dominant all year and I see on score sheet they took 24th at states?
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

SciolyGuy411 wrote:Anyone know what happened to Mentor in Heli? There were dominant all year and I see on score sheet they took 24th at states?
Quoting Scott from the "Best Times" thread in the Heli forum:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:From what I've heard, Mentor's first flight was short due to a rib breaking off of the device. The second flight last 14 seconds I think and they weren't sure why.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

For analyzing B results for nationals, it's likely worthwhile to keep this in mind:
Crtomir wrote:Our team placed 3rd in Mystery Architecure at the Ohio State Tournament. They had to build a cantilever that hung off of a wall and held a 12 oz. soda can. See picture:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/A3LSSdkKkivtYxCW2

Unfortunately, the scoring was all messed up. The students were supposed to take their bag that that their team number on it and go to that station to build their cantilever. The event supervisors did not tell them that, so teams took their bags and numbers at random. Then, when they did the scoring, they recorded each team's score as if they were from the team number that was their bag/station number. Here, we were team #9, but our score got recorded for team #4 because we were at station #4. There was no way to back out what each team placed (not everyone will remember their station number). They could have turned this event into a trial event, but it would not have affected the team rankings.

I don't know what materials they had to work with. They said they were given a whole roll of tape to work with. Usually, they limit the amount of tape. It also looks like they had bamboo skewers to work with. Not sure how many.

Hope this helps those going to Nationals. Good luck.
So, Solon and Tower Heights likely placed higher than 16th and 19th. I'd say it'd be a good idea to just take away the scores for the event, as it probably should have been to begin with. Team scores aren't affected too much, except Kenston falls to 10th, and Shore, McCord, and Ridge each move up one place.
Solon - 50
Tower Heights - 93
Watts - 135
Magsig - 164
New Albany - 198
Chardon - 272
Mentor Shore - 293
McCord - 304
Mentor Ridge - 318
Kenston - 325
Beachwood - 327
Mason - 348
Westlake Lee Burneson - 349
Northmont - 364
Grandview Heights - 368
West Liberty Salem - 389
Springfield - 394
Granville - 420
New Richmond - 427
Copley-Fairlawn - 447
Seton Catholic - 460
Amherst - 492
Arbor Hills - 498
A.I. Root - 520
Dayton Regional STEM - 538
Hudson - 542
Orrville - 550
Revere - 552
St. Francis Xavier - 570
Canal Winchester - 598
Rocky River - 603
Shawnee - 605
St. Barnabas - 614
Ross - 618
Milford - 639
Warren - 654
Brecksville-Broadview Hts - 662
Eastern - 717
Southern - 777
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote: I'd say it'd be a good idea to just take away the scores for the event, as it probably should have been to begin with.
Probably?

East, you are the master of the understatement. The scores were all assigned to random teams. It is mind-boggling that they have been left in. One for PRES, I think.
MIScioly1
State: MI
Been thanked: 0

Post by MIScioly1 »

kate! wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:
Name wrote:
To be honest, I don't think there'll be states getting 3 bids any time in the future without giving every state 2 bids first, no matter how big the state that wants 3 bids is. 2 bids in New York is pretty fair because it encourages competition, usually the top 3 teams are fighting to get in, while if you added 3 bids, there wouldn't be enough strong competition.
I don’t think they’ll ever change how nationals is done, but I think they should. Personally, I’m more of a fan of rewarding performance rather than just size. I’d have 70 teams, with the 60 they have now, plus an extra bid to the state of every team in the top 10 of nationals the previous year (max 4 per state). So, if Ohio had their usual two teams and both placed in top 10 at nats, they’d get 4 bids the following year. It’d give smaller states the opportunity for more bids too (ahem Texas).

I’m sure there are a thousand problems with this idea, but just my two cents :)
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Executive Board
chalker

Post by chalker »

knightmoves wrote:
EastStroudsburg13 wrote: I'd say it'd be a good idea to just take away the scores for the event, as it probably should have been to begin with.
Probably?

East, you are the master of the understatement. The scores were all assigned to random teams. It is mind-boggling that they have been left in. One for PRES, I think.
I'll copy what I put in the other thread about this: Just wanted to point out that while this did potentially happen, there isn't any concrete evidence to prove that it did happen. We looked at this a bit after the ceremony and couldn't conclude one way or the other. Note it also didn't matter if we trialed the event, as the gap between 2nd and 3rd place was more than the number of teams, hence it wouldn't change who was going to nationals.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
chalker

Post by chalker »

MIScioly1 wrote: I’m sure there are a thousand problems with this idea, but just my two cents :)
As stated before, the main issue is space:

-We can only squeeze so many students into a typical competition room, hence only so many per hour. And only so many competition blocks during the day.
-We can only squeeze so many people into some of the ceremony venues (hence some years we end up doing 2 separate ceremonies, which is a big hassle to everyone)
-We can only make so many dorm rooms / hotel rooms available (hence some years some teams end up staying in hotels way far away from campus)

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Return to “2018 Regionals & States”