New York 2018

IvanGe
Division: C
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Re: New York 2018

Post by IvanGe »

I don't think we should be hating on our own coaches or on people on other teams. Without your coach, you wouldn't even be able to go to invitationals, regs, or states. If your coach didn't volunteer to coach the FM team, Eagle Hill Science Olympiad wouldn't even be a team.

We shouldn't be making accusations to wzhang because he indeed worked on the a lot on the towers, and indeed Dale and a kid from the WM team helped give him advice.
gelinas 2016-2019, wmhs'22

nats '19:
5th - potions
5th - fossils
9th - buggy
Sh1mSh4dy
Division: B
Has thanked: 0

Post by Sh1mSh4dy »

First of all, the comment by "Fmschools" does not reflect what the Eagle Hill Science Olympiad Teams thinks at all. We still do not know who this is, or if it is even somebody on our team at all.

We are in no way blaming the new coaches or any individuals for loss. All the individuals mentioned in Fmschool's essay have all worked very hard, and it is upsetting to read some of the things that have been said. Science Olympiad is a team effort and assigning the blame on your partners is incredibly irresponsible.

I think that it is fair to say that if battery buggy hadn't been tiered, we would've had a good shot at nationals. For this, I am proud of my entire team.

I personally do not blame the battery buggy proctors, I can't blame any proctors for running an event harshly. In the end, it was down to us not being able to prove that our vehicle was within the rules. (Although I think we should have been able to bring the buggy within the rules?)

So please, disregard the comments in Fmschool's post, because it is not fair to the rest of us and our HS team. Best of luck to Gelinas and Goff at nationals.
DaleYoU

Post by DaleYoU »

You guys be bugging out about Towers. I am just trying to help out an Asian kid by mentoring him. This Asian kid needs the help because he needs to impress another member of Gelinas. I helped teach him how to glue the joints. All of you are bugging out cause of seeing a Chubby Asian kid walk up for the medal. LITTLE DO YOU THAT CHUBBY ASIAN KID IS A GOD.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Sh1mSh4dy wrote: So please, disregard the comments in Fmschool's post, because it is not fair to the rest of us and our HS team. Best of luck to Gelinas and Goff at nationals.
This.
FMSO
Geo Maps
kate!

Post by kate! »

Rilliam wrote:Hi
SciOly.org Rules wrote:Posts should have a legitimate purpose. Users should not post two word replies, personal attacks, malicious rumors, or advertisement for a paid service.
This isn't the right forum for chatting either. If you just want to talk to people, either go to scioly.org/chat or post in the General Chat forums.
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
vehicleguy

Post by vehicleguy »

@IvanGe What was your roller coaster score? I'm just curious seeing that you got 1st place in it (congrats btw)
AHHS '22 Vanderbilt '26
2022 Events: Chem Lab, Envi Chem, It's About Time, Orni, PPP, Wright Stuff
2022 States: 3rd Envi Chem, 3rd Orni, 4th Wright Stuff
Userpage- https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Vehicleguy
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Sh1mSh4dy wrote:I personally do not blame the battery buggy proctors, I can't blame any proctors for running an event harshly. In the end, it was down to us not being able to prove that our vehicle was within the rules. (Although I think we should have been able to bring the buggy within the rules?)
Getting slightly off topic, but I still believe this important enough to mention: It is up to the proctor's discretion whether or not they choose to check devices for complying with the rules. It is by no means required of them and it is a generous courtesy if they choose to. Checking all devices for complying within the rules before a team's designated slot is logistically too difficult often times and thus should only be done if the supervisor is extremely familiar with the rules so it can be done quickly or if there is a large staff volunteering (this is pretty rare). As long as the supervisor treats all teams the same (checking all devices or checking none for errors), then they are operating fairly.
Additionally, unless the team had an extra battery that was labeled impounded (which I highly doubt cause they would have used it in that scenario), they wouldnt have been able to bring the device into spec anyways during the teams time slot due to the prohibition of outside materials.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

windu34 wrote:
Sh1mSh4dy wrote:I personally do not blame the battery buggy proctors, I can't blame any proctors for running an event harshly. In the end, it was down to us not being able to prove that our vehicle was within the rules. (Although I think we should have been able to bring the buggy within the rules?)
Getting slightly off topic, but I still believe this important enough to mention: It is up to the proctor's discretion whether or not they choose to check devices for complying with the rules. It is by no means required of them and it is a generous courtesy if they choose to. Checking all devices for complying within the rules before a team's designated slot is logistically too difficult often times and thus should only be done if the supervisor is extremely familiar with the rules so it can be done quickly or if there is a large staff volunteering (this is pretty rare). As long as the supervisor treats all teams the same (checking all devices or checking none for errors), then they are operating fairly.
Additionally, unless the team had an extra battery that was labeled impounded (which I highly doubt cause they would have used it in that scenario), they wouldnt have been able to bring the device into spec anyways during the teams time slot due to the prohibition of outside materials.
I wish there was a like button on the forums, but even though there isn't, this is so, so true.

I've seen this situation quite a few times. One was in 2015 when my team wasn't called out for using a galvanic cell on our mission possible device (which was illegal) until the state tournament, and we were penalized quite a bit although our device was still allowed to run (I guess the proctor was a bit nicer to us? Idr, I wasn't there nor was I involved in it at all). The second: I ran Thermodynamics B and C at Indiana's State Tournament this year and dealt with a team that got particularly upset there because they said their device dimension specs weren't checked at the regional (and the regional they went to happened to be the one that I was a tournament executive for :P ). Going off topic from Battery Buggy, the Thermo rules say that unless a device cannot safely be operated, even if it does not meet the construction specs for dimensions, it is at least still allowed to compete, although a heavy penalty is applied, in which what happened was that I measured the box (without the measurement cube that it was supposed to fit in), determined that although it was out of spec, it's technically allowed to compete with the penalty according to the rules (the real situation was much stickier than that, but that part isn't the most relevant to this).

The spiel that I gave to this team at IN state, and that I think is also just as relevant here, is that no side, whether the ES or the competitor, can assume that the other will be completely in tune with the rules (although we would all love for that to happen, it seems like it would only happen in an ideal world). Especially for events with a build, sure, it is on the ES to know the construction specs and be able to check for those at any tournament level (with punishments obviously being lighter at invitationals and much heavier at state), but the competitors should also be held responsible for thoroughly reading the rules and making sure that their devices meet the specs to avoid running into trouble with ES's that may be stricter. You absolutely CANNOT assume that just because you didn't get called out for your device being out of spec at invitational or regional competitions, your device will be fine at state. The ES's at state and beyond DO crack down on the construction spec rules much more. This is a lesson that ES's, regardless of the level they supervise at, shouldn't necessarily assume that all the competitors they will see will know the rules in and out, and competitors shouldn't necessarily assume the same of the ES. In the end, with problems of teams complaining about getting nicked at state because ES's at invitational/regional competitions weren't strict with checking specs, there's some fault on both parties - the competitors and the earlier competitions' ES's - for the angst in the situation.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
nicksalanitri

Post by nicksalanitri »

vehicleguy wrote:@IvanGe What was your roller coaster score? I'm just curious seeing that you got 1st place in it (congrats btw)

Ours was around 450
Ward Melville 2018-2020 + DMAH Coach 2019

2019 Events: Forensics, Fossils, Geologic Mapping

2020 Events: Fossils, Ornithology, Gravity Vehicle (also did forensics, ppp, wright)
scioly2345
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by scioly2345 »

nicksalanitri wrote:
vehicleguy wrote:@IvanGe What was your roller coaster score? I'm just curious seeing that you got 1st place in it (congrats btw)

Ours was around 450
Btw i saw your roller coaster, it was absolutely beautiful. Job well done
2016-2019 Brother Joseph Fox Latin School
2020-2022 Kellenberg Memorial High School
2022 events - Bridge, Write It Do It, Wright Stuff
God Bless and Rest In Peace Len Joeris (Balsa Man)
“for the betterment of science”

Return to “2018 Regionals & States”