New York 2018

bt03
Division: B
State: -

Re: New York 2018

Postby bt03 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:27 am

JasperKota wrote:
bt03 wrote:Question: Is Indoor Bottle Rocket going to be a legitimate event or will it be a trial event? Or possible neither? Been hearing many rumors circulating throughout.

Official events are already out, and indoor bottle rocket is not on the list, but it's possible it may be a trial event or not an event at all. Trial events for NY aren't out yet, as far as I know.

Good to know. When will the trial events for NY be released (perhaps mid-October)? You know how messy online ordering gets. :lol:
Random Fact 1: Water isn't wet. You can get wet by water, but water doesn't make water wet.
Random Fact 2: Is fire hot? Fire makes things hot, but can fire make fire hotter?

JasperKota
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY

Postby JasperKota » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:35 am

bt03 wrote:Good to know. When will the trial events for NY be released (perhaps mid-October)? You know how messy online ordering gets. :lol:

Haven't heard of a timeframe from my captain/coach or online, and I can't remember when last year's trial events were released but I'd imagine it'd be announced around then.
2018 Events: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Parasitology, WIDI
2017 Events: Invasives, Wright Stuff, Ecology
2016 Events: Invasives, Dynamic Planet, Crave the Wave

SPP SciO
Division: B

Postby SPP SciO » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:55 pm

http://www.newyorkscioly.org/tournaments/comp_events/ "Duct Tape Challenge" for both division B and C ... Seems awfully similar to Mystery Architecture. On one hand, it's disappointing that there's not much interesting new science content to learn. On the other hand, it seems like it'll be a lot of fun, especially for the student who joined the team late or is a last-minute substitute.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com

gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Postby gneissisnice » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:33 am

SPP SciO wrote:http://www.newyorkscioly.org/tournaments/comp_events/ "Duct Tape Challenge" for both division B and C ... Seems awfully similar to Mystery Architecture. On one hand, it's disappointing that there's not much interesting new science content to learn. On the other hand, it seems like it'll be a lot of fun, especially for the student who joined the team late or is a last-minute substitute.

Yeah, that was my first thought. It looks exactly like Mystery Architecture, but if the manufacturers of duct tape paid Science Olympiad a lot of money to make an event focusing on their product.

But since trial events no longer count, it's probably a good event for that. Fun and low-pressure because it won't hurt your team score, and it doesn't really take prep time away from other events.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

NeilMehta
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby NeilMehta » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:36 am

gneissisnice wrote:
SPP SciO wrote:http://www.newyorkscioly.org/tournaments/comp_events/ "Duct Tape Challenge" for both division B and C ... Seems awfully similar to Mystery Architecture. On one hand, it's disappointing that there's not much interesting new science content to learn. On the other hand, it seems like it'll be a lot of fun, especially for the student who joined the team late or is a last-minute substitute.

Yeah, that was my first thought. It looks exactly like Mystery Architecture, but if the manufacturers of duct tape paid Science Olympiad a lot of money to make an event focusing on their product.

But since trial events no longer count, it's probably a good event for that. Fun and low-pressure because it won't hurt your team score, and it doesn't really take prep time away from other events.

One thing to note here is how an event like this is hard to imagine as a real event in the future, unlike last year's trials (herp, mys des) or earlier trials. I'm really excited to see the other trial(s) to see if the pattern of fun, low pressure events will continue, or if more rigorous study events will come in place. Part of me always liked how trial events really prepared students for future occurrences of that event as a nationally-run one (such as the case of herpetology), although part of me was always bothered by how if a team's best event happened to be a trial event, they would lose a strong asset at the national tournament.
my events tend to deal with really big or small things ..
so now i do fermi : ^)

Voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018

Trumpets
State: -

Postby Trumpets » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:16 pm

The other trial events are out:
Parasitology B/C
and
Science Quiz Bowl B/C
I forgot my old account whoops :cry:

NeilMehta
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby NeilMehta » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:32 pm

Trumpets wrote:The other trial events are out:
Parasitology B/C
and
Science Quiz Bowl B/C

Parisitology could replace herp?

Voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018

Jaajer

Postby Jaajer » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:24 pm

Is it just me, or does the final round of Science Quiz Bowl just seem like a way to entertain competitors while they are waiting for the award ceremony.

gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby gneissisnice » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:14 am

NeilMehta wrote:
Parasitology B/C
and
Science Quiz Bowl B/C

Man, it better not.

We have SO many events in that rotation already: Herpetology -> Ornithology -> Forestry -> Entomology -> Invasives

The addition of Invasives was already excessive, now we have events that students will NEVER get to see while they're competing because it's on a 10 year cycle. Heck, even with "only" four events, I never got to experience Ornithology because of the way the events rotated.

Parasitology sounds like it would make more sense with Microbe Mission, though I don't remember what else is in that rotation (just Protein Modeling?)
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:16 am

gneissisnice wrote:
NeilMehta wrote:
Parasitology B/C
and
Science Quiz Bowl B/C

Man, it better not.

We have SO many events in that rotation already: Herpetology -> Ornithology -> Forestry -> Entomology -> Invasives

The addition of Invasives was already excessive, now we have events that students will NEVER get to see while they're competing because it's on a 10 year cycle. Heck, even with "only" four events, I never got to experience Ornithology because of the way the events rotated.

Parasitology sounds like it would make more sense with Microbe Mission, though I don't remember what else is in that rotation (just Protein Modeling?)

Microbe Mission --> Heredity/Designer Genes --> Bio-Process Lab/Cell Biology
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

NeilMehta
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby NeilMehta » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:41 am

Unome wrote:
gneissisnice wrote:
NeilMehta wrote:Parisitology could replace herp?

Man, it better not.

Microbe Mission --> Heredity/Designer Genes --> Bio-Process Lab/Cell Biology

Parasitology could be thrown in there, but maybe change the focus from ID to information and make it a microbes-style event? (single cheatsheet, etc)

kenniky
State: MA

Postby kenniky » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:52 pm

They could make the Bio ID events 1-year rotations, possibly?

Although I feel like they don't have qualms with making it larger, what with them trying out stuff like EEE in recent years

raxu
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby raxu » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:31 pm

I am yet to comprehend F-M's godly 3282 Tower national score last year.
Richard
Events done Div. B: Simple Machines <3, Shock Value.
Events done Div. C: Astronomy <3 , It's About Time, Forensics, Optics, Remote Sensing, Game On, Materials Science, Mousetrap Vehicle, Fermi Questions, Thermodynamics.

MattH2018

Postby MattH2018 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:56 am

raxu wrote:I am yet to comprehend F-M's godly 3282 Tower national score last year.

If I were you I’d be more impressed with Gelinas and their tower scores. I believe their kids were hoping to put up close to 4000 at nats and just had a mishap

Piggy

Postby Piggy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:10 pm

Since trial events do not count towards teams' scores at regionals or states, should teams just not prepare for them? (referring more to Parasitology than Duct Tape Challenge)

Return to “Regionals and States”