New York 2018

Locked
bt03
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: September 19th, 2017, 5:12 pm
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New York 2018

Post by bt03 » March 5th, 2018, 8:57 am

syo_astro wrote: It's fun predicting both divisions!

On the other hand, doesn't Gelinas have a really good shot at 1st compared with others? At most, I could see Eagle Hills maybe losing their second, but I'm not sure how likely that even is. True anything is possible, but usually there's only a few teams that take the top spots >.>.
To be honest, I don't know much about the States because this is our second time at it. I've looked at the historical wikis, and I just saw Eagle Hill and Gelinas. I just remember last year Eagle Hill got 1st, Gelinas 2nd. RC Murphy came close.
New York needs a little help! We do fairly well at Nationals, but we haven't been Top 10 in some time.
Random Fact 1: Water isn't wet. You can get wet by water, but water doesn't make water wet.
Random Fact 2: Is fire hot? Fire makes things hot, but can fire make fire hotter?

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4285
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Has thanked: 181 times
Been thanked: 59 times

Re: New York 2018

Post by Unome » March 5th, 2018, 9:02 am

bt03 wrote:
syo_astro wrote: It's fun predicting both divisions!

On the other hand, doesn't Gelinas have a really good shot at 1st compared with others? At most, I could see Eagle Hills maybe losing their second, but I'm not sure how likely that even is. True anything is possible, but usually there's only a few teams that take the top spots >.>.
To be honest, I don't know much about the States because this is our second time at it. I've looked at the historical wikis, and I just saw Eagle Hill and Gelinas. I just remember last year Eagle Hill got 1st, Gelinas 2nd. RC Murphy came close.
New York needs a little help! We do fairly well at Nationals, but we haven't been Top 10 in some time.
Pretty sure Gelinas has been top 10 for at least three years in a row.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

bt03
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: September 19th, 2017, 5:12 pm
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New York 2018

Post by bt03 » March 5th, 2018, 9:09 am

Unome wrote:
bt03 wrote:
syo_astro wrote: It's fun predicting both divisions!

On the other hand, doesn't Gelinas have a really good shot at 1st compared with others? At most, I could see Eagle Hills maybe losing their second, but I'm not sure how likely that even is. True anything is possible, but usually there's only a few teams that take the top spots >.>.
To be honest, I don't know much about the States because this is our second time at it. I've looked at the historical wikis, and I just saw Eagle Hill and Gelinas. I just remember last year Eagle Hill got 1st, Gelinas 2nd. RC Murphy came close.
New York needs a little help! We do fairly well at Nationals, but we haven't been Top 10 in some time.
Pretty sure Gelinas has been top 10 for at least three years in a row.
Welp I'm a noob :P

Unome, can you check if the Wiki formatting is decent for NYC Metro? I fixed a little.
Random Fact 1: Water isn't wet. You can get wet by water, but water doesn't make water wet.
Random Fact 2: Is fire hot? Fire makes things hot, but can fire make fire hotter?

User avatar
Tailsfan101
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
Posts: 813
Joined: April 14th, 2017, 4:33 pm
Division: C
State: ID
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 119 times
Been thanked: 106 times
Contact:

Re: New York 2018

Post by Tailsfan101 » March 5th, 2018, 9:10 am

Unome wrote:Pretty sure Gelinas has been top 10 for at least three years in a row.
This is true. Fun fact: Actually, Gelinas has taken home a 10th place trophy in 2015, 2016, and 2017! In 2014 they just missed out.
2016-2021 Treasure Valley Homeschool, 2020-2021 Div C Captain
2021 events: Disease Detectives, Designer Genes, Geologic Mapping, Write It Do It, Codebusters, Anatomy and Physiology

Assassinator for games 118: New Life and 136: A SciOly Pandemic
Selected Assassinators for games 121 and 148

bt03
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: September 19th, 2017, 5:12 pm
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New York 2018

Post by bt03 » March 5th, 2018, 9:17 am

Tailsfan101 wrote:
Unome wrote:Pretty sure Gelinas has been top 10 for at least three years in a row.
This is true. Fun fact: Actually, Gelinas has taken home a 10th place trophy in 2015, 2016, and 2017! In 2014 they just missed out.
Sadly we will never be as talented as Gelinas. :cry:
But, you can never give up!
Random Fact 1: Water isn't wet. You can get wet by water, but water doesn't make water wet.
Random Fact 2: Is fire hot? Fire makes things hot, but can fire make fire hotter?

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4285
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Has thanked: 181 times
Been thanked: 59 times

Re: New York 2018

Post by Unome » March 5th, 2018, 9:18 am

bt03 wrote:Unome, can you check if the Wiki formatting is decent for NYC Metro? I fixed a little.
Looks pretty good to me, though I'd recommend including columns for the tournament date and number of state bids, and for the state placements of each team (like this page). You can also use div tags to align the opening text:

Code: Select all

<div style="float:right">{{RegionalInfoBox . . . }}</div>
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

bt03
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: September 19th, 2017, 5:12 pm
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New York 2018

Post by bt03 » March 5th, 2018, 9:21 am

Unome wrote:
bt03 wrote:Unome, can you check if the Wiki formatting is decent for NYC Metro? I fixed a little.
Looks pretty good to me, though I'd recommend including columns for the tournament date and number of state bids, and for the state placements of each team (like this page). You can also use div tags to align the opening text:

Code: Select all

<div style="float:right">{{RegionalInfoBox . . . }}</div>
Sure, will do. Thanks!

Edited.
Last edited by bt03 on March 5th, 2018, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Random Fact 1: Water isn't wet. You can get wet by water, but water doesn't make water wet.
Random Fact 2: Is fire hot? Fire makes things hot, but can fire make fire hotter?

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 609
Joined: December 3rd, 2011, 9:45 pm
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 14 times
Contact:

Re: New York 2018

Post by syo_astro » March 5th, 2018, 9:27 am

Some other notes:
RC Murphy got ~200+ vs. the other two which got significantly lower (difference > 50). At most, I'd say NY is "doing worse" in C with no top 10s the past few years. On the other hand, NY schools do work really hard and are competitive. NY C still gets top 10 - 20 at nats, and the top teams at NY states can be ridiculously close in score. I haven't competed recently, so I don't know everything as well as I could...but NYS is a solid state all around;).

Anyway, good luck at states, have fun! I remember in middle school my school couldn't even get to states, and it's never impossible to dethrone a top seat given time (upsets happen ALL the time in competitions). Talent is one thing...decent coaching and motivation as a team is another >.> (and funding...but often once a team is started that gets sorted out).
Last edited by syo_astro on March 5th, 2018, 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

User avatar
Tailsfan101
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
Posts: 813
Joined: April 14th, 2017, 4:33 pm
Division: C
State: ID
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 119 times
Been thanked: 106 times
Contact:

Re: New York 2018

Post by Tailsfan101 » March 5th, 2018, 9:29 am

<post deleted>
Last edited by Tailsfan101 on March 5th, 2018, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
2016-2021 Treasure Valley Homeschool, 2020-2021 Div C Captain
2021 events: Disease Detectives, Designer Genes, Geologic Mapping, Write It Do It, Codebusters, Anatomy and Physiology

Assassinator for games 118: New Life and 136: A SciOly Pandemic
Selected Assassinators for games 121 and 148

User avatar
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 3183
Joined: January 17th, 2009, 7:32 am
Division: Grad
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 173 times
Contact:

Re: New York 2018

Post by EastStroudsburg13 » March 5th, 2018, 9:44 am

Tailsfan101 wrote:Should I? No, it would be cruel. But I've done it before, haven't I? Why not now? Oh fine, I guess I will...
bt03 wrote:Sure, Thanks!
Scioly.org Rules: What is and What isn't wrote:2. Posts should have a legitimate purpose. Users should not post two word replies, personal attacks, malicious rumors, or advertisement for a paid service.
Yep, I strike again.
Please, don't. A post saying "thanks" still has a purpose, and is not the sort of post that the rule is aiming toward. In addition, it is not your responsibility to be the enforcer of forum rules; if there is a legitimate case where someone posts a short reply that has no purpose, please just report the post and/or let the user know in a friendly way that posts should have a general purpose.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki


So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

Locked

Return to “2018 Regionals & States”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest