State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Missouri 2018

Post by dxu46 »

Missouri Science Olympiad 2018!
http://www.moscioly.org/
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Missouri

Invitationals
Pembroke Hill Invitational (December 2nd, 2017, Division B)
Pembroke Hill Invitational (January 6th, 2018, Division C)
Smithton Invitational (January 20th, 2018, Division B)
Northland Invitational (January 27th, 2018, Division C)
Warrensburg High School (February 3rd, 2018, Division B/C)

Regional Tournaments
Region 1: NW Missouri (February 24th, 2018 for Division B, February 3rd, 2018 for Division C)
Region 2: NE Missouri (February 24th, 2018 for both divisions)
Region 3: Kansas City Area (February 17th, 2018 for both divisions)
Region 4: Central West Missouri (February 24th, 2018 for both divisions)
Region 5: Central Missouri (February 17th, 2018 for both divisions)
Region 6: St. Louis Area (January 27th, 2018 for Division B, March 3rd, 2018 for Division C)
Region 7: SW Missouri (February 24th, 2018 for both divisions)
Region 8: SE Missouri (February 10th, 2018 for both divisions)

State Tournament
Westminster College, Fulton, MO (April 7th, 2018)

Edits: Added invitationals
Last edited by dxu46 on December 16th, 2017, 3:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Missouri 2018

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

Was hoping someone else who still lives in MO would take up this thread this year.

In other news, Missouri C has totally lost it's second bid seeing Texas' growth...looks like the ever-lasting Ladue vs. Pembroke showdown will finally culminate in a single victor.
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by dxu46 »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:Was hoping someone else who still lives in MO would take up this thread this year.

In other news, Missouri C has totally lost it's second bid seeing Texas' growth...looks like the ever-lasting Ladue vs. Pembroke showdown will finally culminate in a single victor.
WHHAAAATT??? Since when????
Does that mean that Texas can have 3 teams?
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

dxu46 wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:Was hoping someone else who still lives in MO would take up this thread this year.

Vermont is starting its state tournament this year, which means it gets its own nationals bid in each division, and these bids come from the states in each division that sent two teams to nats with the lowest number of total teams. For C this was between Missouri and Texas before we saw the number of teams per state for last year, but now that we know we can pretty confidently say it's Missouri. Missouri B still gets to send two teams, and a different state for B lost its second bid (I'd like to say Washington?).

Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
dxu46 wrote:

Vermont is starting its state tournament this year, which means it gets its own nationals bid in each division, and these bids come from the states in each division that sent two teams to nats with the lowest number of total teams. For C this was between Missouri and Texas before we saw the number of teams per state for last year, but now that we know we can pretty confidently say it's Missouri. Missouri B still gets to send two teams, and a different state for B lost its second bid (I'd like to say Washington?).
Florida or Missouri are the two states most likely to lose their second Div B bid this year - Washington had a second Div B bid in 2016, but did not last year since New Hampshire expanded to Div B. Seeing Florida's growth in recent years the last two decades, I'd say even if Missouri keeps it this year, Florida will probably end up keeping the second bid in the long run.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dxu46 »

Unome wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
dxu46 wrote:
Florida or Missouri are the two states most likely to lose their second Div B bid this year - Washington had a second Div B bid in 2016, but did not last year since New Hampshire expanded to Div B. Seeing Florida's growth in recent years the last two decades, I'd say even if Missouri keeps it this year, Florida will probably end up keeping the second bid in the long run.
So there has to be exactly 60 teams for nationals for each division? (not counting Japan) And Missouri will be a 1-team state? When do we find this out officially?
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

dxu46 wrote:
Unome wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote: Vermont is starting its state tournament this year, which means it gets its own nationals bid in each division, and these bids come from the states in each division that sent two teams to nats with the lowest number of total teams. For C this was between Missouri and Texas before we saw the number of teams per state for last year, but now that we know we can pretty confidently say it's Missouri. Missouri B still gets to send two teams, and a different state for B lost its second bid (I'd like to say Washington?).
So there has to be exactly 60 teams for nationals for each division? (not counting Japan) And Missouri will be a 1-team state? When do we find this out officially?
Yes, there are exactly 60 teams at Nationals each year in each division. Each state gets 1 guaranteed slot (note that CA is technically divided into 2 states, Southern and Northern CA, each of which gets a slot). The remaining slots are assigned to states based upon their membership numbers for the year. These aren't finalized until the Jan/Feb time frame I think. Here's a map of last seasons breakdown: https://www.soinc.org/snapshots/national-member-map.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

chalker wrote:
dxu46 wrote:
Unome wrote: Florida or Missouri are the two states most likely to lose their second Div B bid this year - Washington had a second Div B bid in 2016, but did not last year since New Hampshire expanded to Div B. Seeing Florida's growth in recent years the last two decades, I'd say even if Missouri keeps it this year, Florida will probably end up keeping the second bid in the long run.
Yes, there are exactly 60 teams at Nationals each year in each division. Each state gets 1 guaranteed slot (note that CA is technically divided into 2 states, Southern and Northern CA, each of which gets a slot). The remaining slots are assigned to states based upon their membership numbers for the year. These aren't finalized until the Jan/Feb time frame I think. Here's a map of last seasons breakdown: https://www.soinc.org/snapshots/national-member-map.
dxu46: the National Tournament team numbers are typically released in late March/early April, which is when most of us will find out which teams get two bids.

This is the first time I've heard Jan/Feb cited as the time of finalizing that, but I assume chalker knows what he's talking about and that that's some kind of internal timeframe.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Froggie »

Just out of curiosity, why can nats only have 60 teams per division?
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

While I do appreciate the Missouri thread seeing some love, there have been countless discussions over the number of teams going to nats before in general chat, and there are two interesting Missouri things for this year besides the change in nats bids:

-Pembroke is starting up its invitational again, as confirmed by SOnerd

-and Clayton High, the high school fed by Wydown Middle (which just ousted Pembroke Middle from their nats bid for the first time in a while) has formed a team and is competing in region 6

This'll definitely be a close year for the single bid from these two teams and Ladue.

Return to “2018 Regionals & States”