JVallurup47
Division: B
State: MO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Missouri 2018

Post by JVallurup47 »

dxu46 wrote:Some random facts:
  • Without the events that didn't place, Ladue Middle would've gotten 41 points - the lowest score ever recorded
  • Ladue got 70 points, which means that roller coaster and WIDI combined made up 29 points
  • Thermodynamics in both divisions were thrown out because of bad proctoring
  • Ladue High was missing two of their best members
  • Pembroke High beat Ladue High by 13 points (61-74) while the middle schools had 69-70 - one point
  • There were $100 dollar scholarships for the winners of Battery Buggy and Mousetrap Vehicle, in honor of Alan Pringle
Well, RIp Ladue, I saw the roller coaster run and I knew from then that Pembroke was going to win. It is sad that one or two events can put you out of the running for something this prestigious. Maybe they change this? Also would thermo have made a difference for the team?

Good job to Pembroke they deserve it.
JVallurup47

Post by JVallurup47 »

• Without the events that didn't place, Ladue Middle would've gotten 41 points - the lowest score ever recorded
  • Ladue got 70 points, which means that roller coaster and WIDI combined made up 29 points
  • Pembroke High beat Ladue High by 13 points (61-74) while the middle schools had 69-70 - one point
  • There were $100 dollar scholarships for the winners of Battery Buggy and Mousetrap Vehicle, in honor of Alan Pringle
Also congrats to DXU46 for constantly carrying his team. He has been recognized for sure...
hippo9
Division: C
State: IN

Post by hippo9 »

JVallurup47 wrote:
Well, RIp Ladue, I saw the roller coaster run and I knew from then that Pembroke was going to win. It is sad that one or two events can put you out of the running for something this prestigious. Maybe they change this? Also would thermo have made a difference for the team?

Good job to Pembroke they deserve it.
What happened? Did it not make all of the gaps?
2018: Battery Buggy, Road Scholar, Roller Coaster
2019: Chem Lab, Code, Disease, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds
2020 and 2021: Astro, Chem Lab, Code, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds

When you miss nats twice by a combined two points :|
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

hippo9 wrote:
One point, just wow....
I heard the audience was really rude about this- cheering when Ladue got second, and cheering even more when they heard it was just one point.
pajobubo wrote: Kinda interested as to why Thermo got thrown out, what happened in the room and why they thought it was serious enough to toss it. It’s not like tossing events isn’t common, but still interesting to get the full scoop.
Not everyone was given thermometers. I don't see why they couldn't have just graded the test portion and not the build? Throwing out events is very uncommon for Missouri states, when there are constantly poor events run without throwing them out (see: Hydrogeology 2017 when I won the event because it was the Geologic Mapping test from the year before (although I didn't actually do Geomapping at competition besides that time I just studied for it)).
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
pajobubo wrote: Kinda interested as to why Thermo got thrown out, what happened in the room and why they thought it was serious enough to toss it. It’s not like tossing events isn’t common, but still interesting to get the full scoop.
Not everyone was given thermometers. I don't see why they couldn't have just graded the test portion and not the build? Throwing out events is very uncommon for Missouri states, when there are constantly poor events run without throwing them out (see: Hydrogeology 2017 when I won the event because it was the Geologic Mapping test from the year before (although I didn't actually do Geomapping at competition besides that time I just studied for it)).
What I heard was that the starting temperatures were different and the ES didn't supervise the timing, so teams could cheat and say that their device lost X degrees when it was actually X + Y points.
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

Scores came out on moscioly.org
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

From moscioly.org: "We have validated the scores and are please to confirm that the National qualifying team is Pembroke Hill for both Division B and Division C."
Poor, poor Ladue.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
JVallurup47

Post by JVallurup47 »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
hippo9 wrote:
One point, just wow....
I heard the audience was really rude about this- cheering when Ladue got second, and cheering even more when they heard it was just one point.

Everyone was booing ladue because you guys win every year. Also, in some of your build events you guys use very interesting strategies that are kind of bending the rules, and everyone knows about this. In towers you made a really light tower and you depended on just holding the bucket and abusing the bonus.

-Wydown kid
pajobubo

Post by pajobubo »

JVallurup47 wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
hippo9 wrote: One point, just wow....

Everyone was booing ladue because you guys win every year. Also, in some of your build events you guys use very interesting strategies that are kind of bending the rules, and everyone knows about this. In towers you made a really light tower and you depended on just holding the bucket and abusing the bonus.

-Wydown kid
I wouldn’t say everyone was booing Ladue... some people obviously don’t like Ladue, the same way some people obviously don’t like Pembroke or even Wydown: because they win stuff. There’s always going to be rivalries in any style of competition. Was the audience tough with Ladue? Yeah. What happened, happened already, lets not dwell over that too much.

I am totally a fan of rule bending strategies... they require you to think outside of the box, that’s good, as long as they are still legal and do not ruin the spirit of the rules. That bucket only strategy for towers has been brought up many times on the towers forums, and discussed in depth. It is legal, does not violate the spirit of the rules, and on top of that takes guts to pull off, because if you mess up that can result in tiering and bad placing, bad for your team overall. Again, this is just my opinion.
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by antoine_ego »

JVallurup47 wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
hippo9 wrote:

-Wydown kid
That's pretty mean... For towers, so long as they were able to hold the bucket and a bit of sand, it's totally legal and even a strategy. I do hope that the coaches chastised their teams afterwards for booing. That's just poor sportsmanship.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19

Return to “2018 Regionals & States”