Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NC
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: North Carolina 2018

Post by venules »

daydreamer0023 wrote:And the NC version of CB/Forensics is so watered down... :'(
I think our Forensics team said something similar, but oddly enough, one of my partners did Chem Lab and she said that there was a station where only one team knew how to complete it. NC events seem pretty variable in general, but why would similar (chemistry-related) events be run so differently? I get that there's different supervisors and all, but given that NCSO appears to have instated a statewide test format for Anatomy & Physiology, why not do something similar for events that are related? It would probably be more difficult for lab events than study/inquiry events, but still.

edited to clarify: each event has different requirements, evidently, but I mean a system that ensures each event is on the same level of difficulty at each tournament.
NCSO Alumna, '13-19 | Duke University '23
Alex-RCHS

Post by Alex-RCHS »

venules wrote:
daydreamer0023 wrote:And the NC version of CB/Forensics is so watered down... :'(
I think our Forensics team said something similar, but oddly enough, one of my partners did Chem Lab and she said that there was a station where only one team knew how to complete it. NC events seem pretty variable in general, but why would similar (chemistry-related) events be run so differently? I get that there's different supervisors and all, but given that NCSO appears to have instated a statewide test format for Anatomy & Physiology, why not do something similar for events that are related? It would probably be more difficult for lab events than study/inquiry events, but still.

edited to clarify: each event has different requirements, evidently, but I mean a system that ensures each event is on the same level of difficulty at each tournament.
Anatomy in NC is run by two very young ESs (Enloe 2017, NCSSM 2015) who were both former state champions, so it makes sense that it’d be run well.

There’s definitely a lot of variablility in test quality in NC, although they’re generally quite good and even the bad ones are not as bad as other states (NJ... yikes).

Specifically:
Astro was excellent. I’ve only taken it once, but I understand it’s that good every year.

Disease was okay in the two years I took it (2016, 17) but much too easy. It was harder this year, apparently, which is great.

Microbe was way too easy last year, but this year it was fantastic. Better than the national exam, in many ways. Cell bio in 2016 was also quite good. I’m not sure what happened to Microbe in 2017, but it was too easy and not particularly interesting.

Remote has always focused a little too much on having random facts in your notes. We were fortunate to have a whole diagram in our notes at states last year that helped us get 4th. The points we got from that probably accounted for 20% of our test. Without it we may not have medaled. This year a lot of questions (VIIRS especially) emphasizes trivial knowledge too much. Also, we lost lots of points because we didn’t have sin or cos on our calculator.

Thermo tests have been bad, generally. There were errors on the answer key, bad questions in general, AND they graded our test wrong (literally didn’t add the points up right) and cost us 4-5 places. If the scores were closer, it might have cost our team a trip to nats. Needless to say, I hope to volunteer for thermo next year. ;)
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by pb5754 »

Alex-RCHS wrote:There’s definitely a lot of variablity in test quality in NC, although they’re generally quite good and even the bad ones are not as bad as other states (NJ... yikes).
We should vote on the worst run competition:
Candidates:
1. NJ
2. NJ
3. NJ
:|
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by sciolyperson1 »

pb5754[] wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:There’s definitely a lot of variablity in test quality in NC, although they’re generally quite good and even the bad ones are not as bad as other states (NJ... yikes).
We should vote on the worst run competition:
Candidates:
1. NJ
2. NJ
3. NJ
:|
Cough cough towers cough cough a board between two tables that arent level cough cough
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
venules
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by venules »

According to the NCSO website, it looks like Piedmont is hosting an invitational on January 26, 2019. Does anyone have any more information?
NCSO Alumna, '13-19 | Duke University '23

Return to “2018 Regionals & States”