Florida 2018

Verdigris
Division: C
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Florida 2018

Post by Verdigris »

I think they just posted the results about an hour ago, so there’s that. (And congrats to you guys! It’s exciting to see a relatively new face take the gold.)

Div. C results:
1st: Archimedean Upper Conservatory
2nd: Boca Raton Community High School
3rd: Orlando Science Schools
Verdigris - green of Greece (Lake Nona High)
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Killboe
State: AR

Post by Killboe »

Yeah thanks after they called 3rd we thought we were done for it but somehow we got 1st.
pbjay
Division: B

Post by pbjay »

I go to Sanford Middle. We got 2nd in regionals but however this time in states we finished with 6th :cry:
2018 Events: Meteorology (2nd Regionals, 10th States), Fast Facts, Wright Stuff
2019 Events: Dynamic Planet (1st Regionals), Meteorology (1st Regionals), Elastic Launched Glider (2nd Regionals), Disease Detectives (4th Regionals).
Verdigris

Post by Verdigris »

6th overall out of 42 teams is nothing to sneeze at. At States, you have quite a few schools that have been doing SciOly for ages and have most of the events down to a science (literally :P ).

It takes some hard work, but it's far from impossible to steadily improve your placements at State, until eventually you find yourself in 1st or 2nd. Talking from personal experience, Lake Nona High School improved from 21st (or somewhere in the 20s, I don't remember exactly) in 2016, to 9th last year, to 7th this year. And of course, River City Science Academy went from 6th last year to 1st this year, so Archimedean, Orlando Science and co. aren't untouchable.

Now that you've been to States (good job making it to States your first year, by the way), you have a better idea of what you're up against, so you'll be ready to really bring it next time. ;)

(random pep talk whoops)
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Killboe
State: AR

Post by Killboe »

Are there strategies to get more points on the tests. I was thinking that my partner and I rip out pages of the test and do all of the easiest questions first and then we go onto the hard questions and do all that and at the final 10 minutes we go over everything we aren't sure about. Although we haven't used it yet, we think it may be a good idea.

And by we rip out all the pages I mean we do them by ourselves.
Verdigris

Post by Verdigris »

Actually, taking the test apart and dividing it between the two of you is extremely helpful for most test events, since it allows you to complete the test almost twice as fast as you would normally- especially once you get into Division C, or go to State levels. In fact, some State tests are so long that dividing the test is the only way you can reasonably expect to finish the whole thing (glances at Disease Detectives C and Remote Sensing C).

I'd also recommend trying different ways to divide your work on some of the different practice tests that are posted here. Using Disease Detectives as an example, after doing some practice tests, you might find that one partner is better at case studies, while the other is better at quickly remembering facts/statistics- in which case, you'd want to have the first partner do the case studies, and the other partner do the multiple choice. And of course, you both should check each other's work.
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Return to “2018 Regionals & States”