Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: 2018 National Tournament: Colorado State University

Postby Unome » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:07 pm

rfscoach wrote:

That's using the term rather loosely.

Too true...

For comparison: the 2016 national tournament website in early August here (though the styling and navbar is very broken on the Internet Archive copy, so pages aren't as easily accessible as on the original)
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

ThiccleRick
State: -

Postby ThiccleRick » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:21 pm

Are the event times for nationals on the schedule in AM or PM?

Froggie
Division: B
State: PA

Postby Froggie » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:35 pm

ThiccleRick wrote:Are the event times for nationals on the schedule in AM or PM?

Well, both.
But we aren't having an event at 3 in the morning.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie

rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Postby rfscoach » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:43 am

Froggie wrote:
ThiccleRick wrote:Are the event times for nationals on the schedule in AM or PM?

Well, both.
But we aren't having an event at 3 in the morning.

Where is the like button?
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.

SilverP

Postby SilverP » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:44 am

Is there any move to petition the directors or something to change the schedule? Who should we contact about this?

scioly2012
Division: C

Postby scioly2012 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:00 pm

SilverP wrote:Is there any move to petition the directors or something to change the schedule? Who should we contact about this?

It's very unlikely that they're going to change the schedule, especially since it's been out and unchanged for months now :/ Which schedule conflict were you concerned about?

SilverP

Postby SilverP » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:29 pm

scioly2012 wrote:
SilverP wrote:Is there any move to petition the directors or something to change the schedule? Who should we contact about this?

It's very unlikely that they're going to change the schedule, especially since it's been out and unchanged for months now :/ Which schedule conflict were you concerned about?

Dynamic Planet and Rocks. I don't see why they would do this, and as a result, it appears Princeton and Yale Invitationals are using the same schedule.

John Richardsim
WikiMod
WikiMod
State: MI

Postby John Richardsim » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:10 pm

SilverP wrote:
Dynamic Planet and Rocks. I don't see why they would do this, and as a result, it appears Princeton and Yale Invitationals are using the same schedule.

I'm sure that the tournament directors would not change the conflicts. While it is inconvenient for most teams, the conflict imposes the same restrictions on all teams, and therefore is fair. Many competitions try to match the national tournament's schedule, and for that reason many teams have already adjusted to the conflict.

While this conflict may seem ridiculous, there have been much more arbitrary schedules in the past (2015's national schedule was entirely based on the alphabetical order of events).
Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

pikachu4919
State: IN
Location: West [Favorite Fightin' Frenchman!] // H-Town! --> Philly

Postby pikachu4919 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:22 pm

SilverP wrote:
scioly2012 wrote:

Well those two invitationals are also basing their schedules off of the current tentative nationals schedule, and since the tentative nationals schedule says that the two are at the same time, they're just following that.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

Purdue WL SciOly Exec Board
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~scienceo/index.html
https://www.facebook.com/purduescioly

MIT and Princeton 2018 Forensics ES
Assassinator #113

knottingpurple
State: NJ

Postby knottingpurple » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:37 pm

pikachu4919 wrote:
SilverP wrote:
scioly2012 wrote:It's very unlikely that they're going to change the schedule, especially since it's been out and unchanged for months now :/ Which schedule conflict were you concerned about?

Well those two invitationals are also basing their schedules off of the current tentative nationals schedule, and since the tentative nationals schedule says that the two are at the same time, they're just following that.

Definitely it's annoying at this point in the season trying to divide up our top earth science people between DP and Rocks, but I guess at least we're doing that now, for Yale and Princeton, rather than just before Nationals. Since we're going to both Princeton and Yale, we were thinking of swapping people between the events for the two different competitions to figure out which pairings work best, it's annoying but at least we're aware of the conflict now and can work to address it I guess.
"She was determined to drop his acquaintance immediately, and she was very thankful that she had never been acquainted with him at all... she hated him so much that she was resolved never to mention his name again, and she should tell everybody she saw, how good-for-nothing he was."

GoldenKnight1
Coach
Coach
State: PA

Postby GoldenKnight1 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:07 am

knottingpurple wrote:Definitely it's annoying at this point in the season trying to divide up our top earth science people between DP and Rocks,

1) While I know it was "tentative" but this schedule has been out since September so you did not need to wait until now.
2) Maybe consider the evil genius of this event conflict. Making more people on your team learn about Rocks and DP. I vote for more "conflicts".

whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Location: At some point (a,b,c) described by the vector parameters <x(t),y(t),z(t)> at some time t

Postby whythelongface » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:59 am

GoldenKnight1 wrote:
knottingpurple wrote:Definitely it's annoying at this point in the season trying to divide up our top earth science people between DP and Rocks,

2) Maybe consider the evil genius of this event conflict. Making more people on your team learn about Rocks and DP. I vote for more "conflicts".

Or maybe it spreads a team out too thin. While I agree that having more people do different events is a good thing, it is my opinion that events should be done by people consistently strong in said events, especially at Nationals.
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"...a satellite enthusiast, a mineral, and a microbe."

To the South Science Club: Thank you for an amazing two years. I am proud of all of you and so glad to have been able to call the SSC my family. Good luck next year!

knottingpurple

Postby knottingpurple » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:18 am

GoldenKnight1 wrote:

1) While I know it was "tentative" but this schedule has been out since September so you did not need to wait until now.

I know it's been out since September, my point was that addressing this conflict now is better than addressing it in May. Addressing it in September is, of course, better than addressing it now, by the same train of thought, but I was trying to say that there's still plenty of time.
"She was determined to drop his acquaintance immediately, and she was very thankful that she had never been acquainted with him at all... she hated him so much that she was resolved never to mention his name again, and she should tell everybody she saw, how good-for-nothing he was."

JT880

Postby JT880 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:56 am

Possibly a bit early, but has anybody heard anything about the trial events this year for nationals?
Washington D.C.

2018 Events
Hovercraft, Optics, Thermodynamics, Dynamic Planet, Mousetrap Vehicle

chalker
State: OH

Postby chalker » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:22 pm

JT880 wrote:Possibly a bit early, but has anybody heard anything about the trial events this year for nationals?

Tentative plan is:
Division C - Wifi Lab and Code Busters
Division B - Solar Power and Density Lab

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Return to “Nationals”