2018 National Tournament: Colorado State University

beaverkid
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2018 National Tournament: Colorado State University

Post by beaverkid »

My coach asked Steve Lovaas about this and here's his response: "In terms of the rollers, they can't practice in advance in the room where the competition occurs. That's not to say they can't find some random hallway to make sure their cars survived the trip."
Alex-RCHS
Division: Grad
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

chalker wrote:
DarthBuilder wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:Chalker, can we at least test our mousetrap cars on a different floor on Thurs/Fri? Why can't we find an empty gym to practice in?
on Thursday you can test at your hotel maybe.
Yes, testing at your hotel / dorm is fine. We don't make official testing spaces available because it wouldn't be fair to all teams. Some teams arrive early and some arrive late. The late arriving ones would be at a disadvantage by not having official testing opportunities.
Chalker, could you clarify this (because there have been some conflicting statements)? Is it okay for us to find a place to test on campus that is not the official test site? For example, a hallway somewhere.

That, certainly, would not provide us any competitive advantage over the late-arriving teams. Also, if this is truly an issue of fairness, we should at the very least be allowed to test in a random hallway on friday night -- all teams are capable of this.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

Hey my team was ready to have some fun at the fun night, but we could not find it for some reason. Where was the Fun Night.? :( We went to the Lory Student Center at 6.47 and not even the staff knew where the stuff was. We ended up playing football with a bag of my clothes on the plaza where they were supposed to have the "Play on the Plaza" :roll: Such a crappy fun night for my team... :x

Did we go to the wrong place?
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

On an unrelated note: Does anyone know if we have printer access here?
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
allopathie
State: PA

Post by allopathie »

Alex-RCHS wrote:On an unrelated note: Does anyone know if we have printer access here?
You need to login to the printers with a student ID, so probably not. Maybe there are unsecured printers?
Harriton '18, Penn '22.
bearasauras
State: CA

Post by bearasauras »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
chalker wrote:
DarthBuilder wrote: on Thursday you can test at your hotel maybe.
Yes, testing at your hotel / dorm is fine. We don't make official testing spaces available because it wouldn't be fair to all teams. Some teams arrive early and some arrive late. The late arriving ones would be at a disadvantage by not having official testing opportunities.
Chalker, could you clarify this (because there have been some conflicting statements)? Is it okay for us to find a place to test on campus that is not the official test site? For example, a hallway somewhere.

That, certainly, would not provide us any competitive advantage over the late-arriving teams. Also, if this is truly an issue of fairness, we should at the very least be allowed to test in a random hallway on friday night -- all teams are capable of this.
You may want to ask your coach to email the tournament director. There's probably a reason all 3 Event Supervisors for Mousetrap Vehicle saw your question and haven't responded ;) I think something about having to answer questions through the official channel :P
DarthBuilder
State: IL

Post by DarthBuilder »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
chalker wrote:
DarthBuilder wrote: on Thursday you can test at your hotel maybe.

I believe the coaches meeting is tonight and your coaches ask the national supervisors questions about tomorrow. Ask your coach about I.
Deleted
TheChiScientist
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by TheChiScientist »

Good luck to all teams at Nats! :)
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
bearasauras
State: CA

Post by bearasauras »

There has been a room change - Fast Fact B is now in Eddy Hall 212. This has been updated on the web-based map app and will be announced officially at the coaches meeting tonight.
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

Good luck to everyone competing tomorrow! I will be helping out with Thermo B, if anyone wants to say hi!
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!

Return to “2018 Nationals”