2018 National Tournament: Colorado State University

User avatar
beaverkid
Member
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: February 18th, 2008, 9:54 pm
Contact:

Re: 2018 National Tournament: Colorado State University

Postby beaverkid » May 16th, 2018, 10:46 pm

My coach asked Steve Lovaas about this and here's his response: "In terms of the rollers, they can't practice in advance in the room where the competition occurs. That's not to say they can't find some random hallway to make sure their cars survived the trip."

User avatar
Alex-RCHS
Member
Member
Posts: 493
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:46 pm
Division: C
State: NC
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: 2018 National Tournament: Colorado State University

Postby Alex-RCHS » May 17th, 2018, 7:03 pm

chalker wrote:
DarthBuilder wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:Chalker, can we at least test our mousetrap cars on a different floor on Thurs/Fri? Why can't we find an empty gym to practice in?

on Thursday you can test at your hotel maybe.


Yes, testing at your hotel / dorm is fine. We don't make official testing spaces available because it wouldn't be fair to all teams. Some teams arrive early and some arrive late. The late arriving ones would be at a disadvantage by not having official testing opportunities.

Chalker, could you clarify this (because there have been some conflicting statements)? Is it okay for us to find a place to test on campus that is not the official test site? For example, a hallway somewhere.

That, certainly, would not provide us any competitive advantage over the late-arriving teams. Also, if this is truly an issue of fairness, we should at the very least be allowed to test in a random hallway on friday night -- all teams are capable of this.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022

User avatar
MadCow2357
Member
Member
Posts: 229
Joined: November 19th, 2017, 9:09 am
Division: B
State: RI
Location: Gallagher MS
Contact:

Re: 2018 National Tournament: Colorado State University

Postby MadCow2357 » May 17th, 2018, 7:11 pm

Hey my team was ready to have some fun at the fun night, but we could not find it for some reason. Where was the Fun Night.? :( We went to the Lory Student Center at 6.47 and not even the staff knew where the stuff was. We ended up playing football with a bag of my clothes on the plaza where they were supposed to have the "Play on the Plaza" :roll: Such a crappy fun night for my team... :x

Did we go to the wrong place?
2017-2018 Events: Battery Buggy, Mystery Architecture, and Towers
2018-2019 Events: Battery Buggy, Boomilever, Thermodynamics, maybe ELG

"Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers." - Homer Simpson

User avatar
Alex-RCHS
Member
Member
Posts: 493
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:46 pm
Division: C
State: NC
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: 2018 National Tournament: Colorado State University

Postby Alex-RCHS » May 17th, 2018, 7:12 pm

On an unrelated note: Does anyone know if we have printer access here?
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022

User avatar
allopathie
Member
Member
Posts: 42
Joined: April 5th, 2017, 8:06 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: Die Mitte der Welt
Contact:

Re: 2018 National Tournament: Colorado State University

Postby allopathie » May 17th, 2018, 7:23 pm

Alex-RCHS wrote:On an unrelated note: Does anyone know if we have printer access here?

You need to login to the printers with a student ID, so probably not. Maybe there are unsecured printers?
Penn ’22. PA Water Quality C Event Supervisor.
Nouvelle plaque de vanité: «J'OUBLIE».

bearasauras
Member
Member
Posts: 343
Joined: March 4th, 2003, 8:33 pm
State: CA
Location: Los Angeles, California
Contact:

Re: 2018 National Tournament: Colorado State University

Postby bearasauras » May 17th, 2018, 10:06 pm

Alex-RCHS wrote:
chalker wrote:
DarthBuilder wrote: on Thursday you can test at your hotel maybe.


Yes, testing at your hotel / dorm is fine. We don't make official testing spaces available because it wouldn't be fair to all teams. Some teams arrive early and some arrive late. The late arriving ones would be at a disadvantage by not having official testing opportunities.

Chalker, could you clarify this (because there have been some conflicting statements)? Is it okay for us to find a place to test on campus that is not the official test site? For example, a hallway somewhere.

That, certainly, would not provide us any competitive advantage over the late-arriving teams. Also, if this is truly an issue of fairness, we should at the very least be allowed to test in a random hallway on friday night -- all teams are capable of this.


You may want to ask your coach to email the tournament director. There's probably a reason all 3 Event Supervisors for Mousetrap Vehicle saw your question and haven't responded ;) I think something about having to answer questions through the official channel :P

DarthBuilder
Member
Member
Posts: 224
Joined: August 1st, 2017, 8:02 am
Division: C
State: IL
Contact:

Re: 2018 National Tournament: Colorado State University

Postby DarthBuilder » May 18th, 2018, 5:13 am

Alex-RCHS wrote:
chalker wrote:
DarthBuilder wrote: on Thursday you can test at your hotel maybe.


Yes, testing at your hotel / dorm is fine. We don't make official testing spaces available because it wouldn't be fair to all teams. Some teams arrive early and some arrive late. The late arriving ones would be at a disadvantage by not having official testing opportunities.

Chalker, could you clarify this (because there have been some conflicting statements)? Is it okay for us to find a place to test on campus that is not the official test site? For example, a hallway somewhere.

That, certainly, would not provide us any competitive advantage over the late-arriving teams. Also, if this is truly an issue of fairness, we should at the very least be allowed to test in a random hallway on friday night -- all teams are capable of this.



I believe the coaches meeting is tonight and your coaches ask the national supervisors questions about tomorrow. Ask your coach about I.
New Trier 19’

Jibriel Saqibuddin

User avatar
TheChiScientist
Member
Member
Posts: 468
Joined: March 11th, 2018, 11:25 am
Division: C
State: IL
Location: Somewhere between Absolute Zero and 1E32 K.
Contact:

Re: 2018 National Tournament: Colorado State University

Postby TheChiScientist » May 18th, 2018, 9:45 am

Good luck to all teams at Nats! :)
A Science Olympian from 2015 -To Present
Medal Count:21 8-)
Current Events
Boomilever,Code Busters,Exp Design

Background In
Thermo, Exp Design, WIDI, Hovercraft, Bridges, Wright Stuff, Geocaching, Ecology, Fermi

School: Crystal Lake Central High School Wiki
Assassinator #119 and Co-Conspirator in #120 ;)

bearasauras
Member
Member
Posts: 343
Joined: March 4th, 2003, 8:33 pm
State: CA
Location: Los Angeles, California
Contact:

Re: 2018 National Tournament: Colorado State University

Postby bearasauras » May 18th, 2018, 10:11 am

There has been a room change - Fast Fact B is now in Eddy Hall 212. This has been updated on the web-based map app and will be announced officially at the coaches meeting tonight.

User avatar
pikachu4919
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 519
Joined: December 7th, 2012, 2:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Location: West [Favorite Fightin' Frenchman!]
Contact:

Re: 2018 National Tournament: Colorado State University

Postby pikachu4919 » May 18th, 2018, 10:31 pm

Good luck to everyone competing tomorrow! I will be helping out with Thermo B, if anyone wants to say hi!
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics


Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

Purdue WL SciOly Exec Board
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~scienceo/index.html
https://www.facebook.com/purduescioly

MIT and Princeton 2018 Forensics ES
Assassinator #113

User avatar
windu34
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1191
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Contact:

Re: 2018 National Tournament: Colorado State University

Postby windu34 » May 18th, 2018, 10:31 pm

Good luck to everyone competing tomorrow! I will be helping run Optics C and probably be helping out with Mousetrap Vehicle impound
President of Science Olympiad at the University of Florida || Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org
windu34's Userpage

Event Supervisor for 2019:
MIT Invitational - Mission Possible
Harvard Invitational - Sounds of Music
Princeton Invitational - Herpetology

pb5754[]
Member
Member
Posts: 253
Joined: March 5th, 2017, 7:49 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Contact:

Re: 2018 National Tournament: Colorado State University

Postby pb5754[] » May 19th, 2018, 8:03 am

Good Luck to everyone competing!

pb5754[]
Member
Member
Posts: 253
Joined: March 5th, 2017, 7:49 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Contact:

Re: 2018 National Tournament: Colorado State University

Postby pb5754[] » May 19th, 2018, 3:57 pm

Has anyone made a live spreadsheet or no? I may not be able to watch the whole livestream... :(

User avatar
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 507
Joined: April 11th, 2017, 6:55 pm
Division: B
State: MO
Location: contemplating my life choices
Contact:

Re: 2018 National Tournament: Colorado State University

Postby dxu46 » May 19th, 2018, 4:00 pm

pb5754[] wrote:Has anyone made a live spreadsheet or no? I may not be able to watch the whole livestream... :(

https://scioly.org/sont
Ladue Science Olympiad!
Projected 2019 events: Dynamic Planet, Experimental Design, Fossils, Game On, Road Scholar
Summary of 2018 season: :D :shock: :) :roll: :evil: 8-) :| :cry:

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
Friend me here!

pb5754[]
Member
Member
Posts: 253
Joined: March 5th, 2017, 7:49 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Contact:

Re: 2018 National Tournament: Colorado State University

Postby pb5754[] » May 19th, 2018, 4:10 pm

dxu46 wrote:
pb5754[] wrote:Has anyone made a live spreadsheet or no? I may not be able to watch the whole livestream... :(

https://scioly.org/sont

Thanks :D

EDIT: nvm read the wrong times


Return to “2018 Nationals”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest