sprynder
Division: C
State: TX
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Trial Events

Post by sprynder »

Does anyone have information on which trial events are going to be at nationals this year?
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Re: Trial Events

Post by dxu46 »

sprynder wrote:Does anyone have information on which trial events are going to be at nationals this year?
According to chalker, they are:
chalker wrote: Tentative plan is:
Division C - Wifi Lab and Code Busters
Division B - Solar Power and Density Lab
happygator

Post by happygator »

For Div. B Solar Power, I found the device scoring formula very strange. As of now, the formula is
Final Score = [Part II raw score (based on 100 points)] - 5(Number of degrees increased in temperature - participant estimated change).

For the deduction part, it's entirely on estimation accuracy, not on efficiency. A very efficient device is actually in disadvantage. Consider 2 teams both have perfect Part II score as 100. Team 1 has the temperature raised by 20 degree, estimated 18. Then the final score is 100 - 5(20-18) = 90. Team 2 can simply put a mirror on top of the beaker, the temperature change would be 0, and they would estimate 0. Their final score is 100-5(0-0) = 100. So team 2 wins by having a very inefficient solar collector. This is clearly against the goal.
blaizen

Post by blaizen »

Yes I agree that is a rule that they need to look at and change because the rules are really vague and the building regulations are also vague...
Do you have any idea if we will be in the room as they test the solar panel such as if you have a box with a lens cover that needs to be adjusted as the light is turned on.
"Doth thee consume rampallian?"
"Nay, thee."
happygator

Post by happygator »

blaizen wrote:Yes I agree that is a rule that they need to look at and change because the rules are really vague and the building regulations are also vague...
Do you have any idea if we will be in the room as they test the solar panel such as if you have a box with a lens cover that needs to be adjusted as the light is turned on.
I don't know anything beyond the rules. But I know for most proctors, they will not touch participants' devices at all. They wouldn't want to be liable for breaking the devices. So participants must be there to set up testing.
Pizzacats
Division: B
State: PA

Post by Pizzacats »

Does anyone know whether if they will tell you what place you got in trial events even if you didn’t get a medal?
My signature is my signature
hippo9
State: IN

Post by hippo9 »

It should be on the scoresheet.
2018: Battery Buggy, Road Scholar, Roller Coaster
2019: Chem Lab, Code, Disease, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds
2020 and 2021: Astro, Chem Lab, Code, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds

When you miss nats twice by a combined two points :|
Tailsfan101
Division: Grad
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Pizzacats wrote:Does anyone know whether if they will tell you what place you got in trial events even if you didn’t get a medal?
hippo9 is right, the places will still be on the scoresheet. As an example, here's last year's scoresheet: http://www.wright.edu/sont17 You'll notice after the main events, in gray it says "Roller Coaster (T/P)" and "Rotor Egg Drop (T/P), indicating that they are trial/pilot events.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
GabeAtwa
State: NY

Post by GabeAtwa »

Does anyone know where I can get some tests for solar power? Thanks.
DMAH Team B captain :wink:
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Post by dxu46 »

GabeAtwa wrote:Does anyone know where I can get some tests for solar power? Thanks.
Unlikely since it's a new event, but check the rules and maybe the soinc.org page for trial events to find out which state(s) ran it and maybe get a contact.

Return to “2018 Nationals”