Who's going to Nationals? // 2018 Edition

CMS AC
Division: B
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Who's going to Nationals? // 2018 Edition

Post by CMS AC »

Also, just wondering, why do people do so many events? There's only 47 "spots" total for the 23 events (exdesi has 3) and 15 people... 47/15 is a little greater than 3, so only 2 people do 4 events. For example, Galahad is doing 6 events lol.
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

CMS AC wrote:Also, just wondering, why do people do so many events? There's only 47 "spots" total for the 23 events (exdesi has 3) and 15 people... 47/15 is a little greater than 3, so only 2 people do 4 events. For example, Galahad is doing 6 events lol.
There are also people who do only 1 or 2 events, so assuming that there is 1 single event kid and a few (3 maybe) 2 event kids, there are 40 spots left with 11 members. We can have 9 members doing 3, 2 doing 4, and 1 doing 5. Obviously there could be a perfect team with each member doing around the same amount of events, but IMO that's not common. Most teams aren't going to be that coordinated.
pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

windu34 wrote:
Skink wrote:
pikachu4919 wrote:pikachu4919 from IN, assisting with an event that has yet to be determined
syo_astro from MI/NY, assisting with ...*drumroll*... Astronomy C
windu34 from FL, assisting with Optics C
How do you guys spin this? Are you traveling with an advancing team? I've never been to a National tournament, but I just don't see random trips halfway across the country as tenable for me. :(
All three of us are traveling in quite different ways. I became a regional director this year and my state director offered to take me along with him to nationals to help him supervise Optics since we had been working relatively closely to form the new regional at my university. Left-over state funds are being used to cover my travel and I will be staying in the hotel with all of the other nationals staff. Technically my first week of my Summer semester will have started so Ill be missing 2 or 3 days of classes, but its the first week and I scheduled my labs to be in the middle of the week for this very reason.
Yeah, my classes will have finished by the time nats rolls around, and my old team is also going this year, which is extra motivation to go. I do have a friend that's an alum from another school in Indiana that's gone to nats as a volunteer for several years now even though his team hasn't made nationals (this year is the only year that he won't be able to go and it's for other reasons, not due to not having the means to get out to Colorado). Syo is helping Donna and Tad as an assistant ES.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
jimmy-bond
State: OH

Post by jimmy-bond »

dxu46 wrote:
CMS AC wrote:Also, just wondering, why do people do so many events? There's only 47 "spots" total for the 23 events (exdesi has 3) and 15 people... 47/15 is a little greater than 3, so only 2 people do 4 events. For example, Galahad is doing 6 events lol.
There are also people who do only 1 or 2 events, so assuming that there is 1 single event kid and a few (3 maybe) 2 event kids, there are 40 spots left with 11 members. We can have 9 members doing 3, 2 doing 4, and 1 doing 5. Obviously there could be a perfect team with each member doing around the same amount of events, but IMO that's not common. Most teams aren't going to be that coordinated.
Also, Galahad is doing two trial events, which weren't included in the original 47 open spots.
PCHS, HI '21 | CWRU, OH '25
Code(16), DD(40), FQ(39),4&6(36), WQ(27)
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

Haha we beat Barrington Middle School again for the second time in the row!!!!! :lol:

Gallagher Middle School, State of Rhode Island. Division B. Events: Battery Buggy, Mystery Architecture, and Towers.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Alot of it come down to differences in the amount of time people are willing to put in. Someone who has more time to dedicate to scioly will inevitably pick up more events. Additionally, having done an event in the previous season that won't be changing much frees you up to take on more events. I did 5 my junior year and 6 my senior year mostly because I did EV and Robot Arm the year before and had done well in them and knew all the techy stuff already so it was just a matter of building and testing.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Post by bernard »

I'll be there again, traveling from Washington state to supervise Mousetrap Vehicle.
Skink wrote:
pikachu4919 wrote:pikachu4919 from IN, assisting with an event that has yet to be determined
syo_astro from MI/NY, assisting with ...*drumroll*... Astronomy C
windu34 from FL, assisting with Optics C
How do you guys spin this? Are you traveling with an advancing team? I've never been to a National tournament, but I just don't see random trips halfway across the country as tenable for me. :(
Nationals is always during my school year, so I book tickets after registering for spring quarter classes and take time off work as needed.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

be right back, becoming BFFs with Donna

...really, though, I'm jealous. Have fun, folks.
birdylayaduck08
State: TX
Been thanked: 0

Post by birdylayaduck08 »

Division C, Texas
Seven Lakes High School
Dynamic Planet, Herpetology, Game On
Seven Lakes High School '19
Justin72835