24. Fossil Ridge
25. Iolani
26. Boca Raton
27. Blue Valley North
28. Archimedean
29. Charter of Wilmington
30. NCSSM
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
mnoga
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Unofficial Rankings C

Post by mnoga »

Where is Mountain View, Albany, and Palo Alto? Or are they not on this list because you expect Mira Loma to beat them at NorCal State?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

mnoga wrote:Where is Mountain View, Albany, and Palo Alto? Or are they not on this list because you expect Mira Loma to beat them at NorCal State?
I consider Mira Loma the most likely winner, although I agree that Albany or Mountain View have a chance. I don't think Paly has much of a shot at winning this year.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
mnoga
State: CA

Post by mnoga »

The National Tournament should be modified to invite at least a few wildcard teams like Albany or Mountain View. These teams are better than most at Nationals AND by going to Nationals it would give them a better chance to win their state tournament the following year.
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by pb5754 »

mnoga wrote:The National Tournament should be modified to invite at least a few wildcard teams like Albany or Mountain View. These teams are better than most at Nationals AND by going to Nationals it would give them a better chance to win their state tournament the following year.
The same can be said about teams such as Seven Lakes, Clements, Centerville, Mentor, WWP South, Montgomery, etc.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
maxxxxx
State: PA
Has thanked: 0

Post by maxxxxx »

pb5754[] wrote:
mnoga wrote:The National Tournament should be modified to invite at least a few wildcard teams like Albany or Mountain View. These teams are better than most at Nationals AND by going to Nationals it would give them a better chance to win their state tournament the following year.
The same can be said about teams such as Seven Lakes, Clements, Centerville, Mentor, WWP South, Montgomery, etc.
Along with this, it would be pretty much impossible to standardize a wildcard system. The best idea I've seen is Kenniky's proposed system in the team numbers thread, but even if something were implemented I very much doubt that it would affect CA teams at all since CA already gets two bids
Lower Merion Class Of 2017
SOPomo
Has thanked: 0

Post by SOPomo »

Unome wrote:
mnoga wrote:Where is Mountain View, Albany, and Palo Alto? Or are they not on this list because you expect Mira Loma to beat them at NorCal State?
I consider Mira Loma the most likely winner, although I agree that Albany or Mountain View have a chance. I don't think Paly has much of a shot at winning this year.
I think it will be a very interesting State tourney at both levels this year. It's been a while since Mira Loma's been given a real run for it. Churchill's had Kennedy breathing down their necks for years now. We'll see, maybe I'll try to upkeep something during awards.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

maxxxxx wrote:
pb5754[] wrote:
Along with this, it would be pretty much impossible to standardize a wildcard system. The best idea I've seen is Kenniky's proposed system in the team numbers thread, but even if something were implemented I very much doubt that it would affect CA teams at all since CA already gets two bids
I think an even bigger limitation of inviting more teams that no one seems to talk about is the fact that there are currently 6 time blocks and 10 teams per block. What will you do with the extra teams? You can't just say lets do 12 teams per time block because events like Mousetrap and Mission already struggle to score all the teams in one time block. You could try adding more time blocks, but then grading takes longer and awards is pushed back an hour.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

windu34 wrote:
maxxxxx wrote:
pb5754[] wrote: The same can be said about teams such as Seven Lakes, Clements, Centerville, Mentor, WWP South, Montgomery, etc.
I think an even bigger limitation of inviting more teams that no one seems to talk about is the fact that there are currently 6 time blocks and 10 teams per block. What will you do with the extra teams? You can't just say lets do 12 teams per time block because events like Mousetrap and Mission already struggle to score all the teams in one time block. You could try adding more time blocks, but then grading takes longer and awards is pushed back an hour.
At Nationals, I'm not quite sure about the timing thing - e.g. I've heard Mission ESes claim that a very skilled ES could run 10 teams in an hour solo (though keeping the pace for 6 hours is obviously still going to be difficult). Although, 11 teams per timeslot would give us 15 B and 16 C this year, which is about the same as the 2010 number for B and in between the 2007 and 2008 numbers for C.
Userpage

Crtomir
Division: B
State: OH

Post by Crtomir »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
Crtomir wrote:
Unome wrote:My newer rankings (feel free to let me know if you think I forgot someone, that's rather likely)

1. Troy
2. Mason
3. Harriton
4. Solon
Mason? Seriously? Beating Solon? Seriously? ;)
Thanks for the support :D
Just beat Solon at the State Tournament first! ;)

Return to “2018 Nationals”