Meetup Thread

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Meetup Thread

Post by Unome »

For planning the scioly.org meetup during the Swap Meet. Unfortunately there is basically zero info at present about the facilities involved, so we will have to wait until the tournament website finally gets some updates.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Re: Meetup Thread

Post by Alex-RCHS »

I’m interested. Also, weren’t there ultimate tournaments in the past?
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

But the swap meet is the usual meetup time/place...
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
Unome

Post by Unome »

Alex-RCHS wrote:I’m interested. Also, weren’t there ultimate tournaments in the past?
Do we have someone volunteering to organize them? ;)
pikachu4919 wrote:But the swap meet is the usual meetup time/place...
The swap meet seems to be in the Aux Gym. However, I have no idea where the entrances or other landmarks in the room are so I'm not sure what would work as a meeting location.
Userpage

Alex-RCHS

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Unome wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:I’m interested. Also, weren’t there ultimate tournaments in the past?
Sure, I’ll work on it later.
About me!
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
Alex-RCHS

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
Unome wrote:
Alright, I've talked to my team and we definitely have interest in doing this. I'm happy to organize it, but I don't want to do anything I'm not allowed to. So first;
- Am I allowed to organize this, or would CSU / SOINC have an issue with it?
- Also, is there someone else who normally organizes it? Because again, I don't want to impede.
- Is it normally on Thursday or Friday?
About me!
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
Unome

Post by Unome »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:
Unome wrote: Do we have someone volunteering to organize them? ;)
Alright, I've talked to my team and we definitely have interest in doing this. I'm happy to organize it, but I don't want to do anything I'm not allowed to. So first;
- Also, is there someone else who normally organizes it? Because again, I don't want to impede.
1) They've been cooperative in the past. I'd recommend emailing Steve Lovaas about it when you get a chance, once you've thought of a location that might work to make sure it's free.
2) There hasn't been a successful tournament in most recent years because of a lack of people willing to organize it.
3) Friday afternoon since a lot of people won't be there for most of Thursday (typically around 1-3 PM or such).

You can find some past threads in the old Nationals forums, those should be helpful.
Userpage

Alex-RCHS

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Unome wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote: Sure, I’ll work on it later.
1) They've been cooperative in the past. I'd recommend emailing Steve Lovaas about it when you get a chance, once you've thought of a location that might work to make sure it's free.
2) There hasn't been a successful tournament in most recent years because of a lack of people willing to organize it.
3) Friday afternoon since a lot of people won't be there for most of Thursday (typically around 1-3 PM or such).

You can find some past threads in the old Nationals forums, those should be helpful.
Thanks. Who is Steve Lovaas?
About me!
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
Person
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Person »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
Unome wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote: Alright, I've talked to my team and we definitely have interest in doing this. I'm happy to organize it, but I don't want to do anything I'm not allowed to. So first;

Thanks. Who is Steve Lovaas?
Looks like he's the CO state director/2018 nationals tournament director.
I am a Person.
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
Alex-RCHS

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Update: An Ultimate tournament is a possibility, but intramural fields cost $35 per field per hour. I don't think many teams would be willing to pay to cover the cost (and introducing money into the equation will make things a lot messier) so I asked him about free options instead.
About me!
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022

Return to “2018 Nationals”