Test flying eliminated?

Dastan
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: April 25th, 2018, 7:31 am
Division: B
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Test flying eliminated?

Post by Dastan » May 3rd, 2018, 8:17 am

I was told that no access to those spaces until Saturday morning. I dont know if this means that they will allow us to have some practices in the morning or not.

coachchuckaahs
Member
Member
Posts: 429
Joined: April 24th, 2017, 9:19 am
Division: B
State: NM
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Test flying eliminated?

Post by coachchuckaahs » May 3rd, 2018, 9:28 am

I wonder if they intend to keep the gym dimensions secret until the morning as well? The rules require them to announce the gym dimensions "in advance of the competition". It would seem the spirit of this rule would be well in advance, such that teams can prepare and test toward that scope. But this is the latest I can recall and still not having the venue dimensions.

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records

ScottMaurer19
Member
Member
Posts: 591
Joined: January 5th, 2017, 9:39 am
Division: Grad
State: OH
Location: Solon, OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Test flying eliminated?

Post by ScottMaurer19 » May 3rd, 2018, 9:45 am

coachchuckaahs wrote:I wonder if they intend to keep the gym dimensions secret until the morning as well? The rules require them to announce the gym dimensions "in advance of the competition". It would seem the spirit of this rule would be well in advance, such that teams can prepare and test toward that scope. But this is the latest I can recall and still not having the venue dimensions.

Coach Chuck
For helicopters it is in racquetball courts which are typically 40 feet long, 20 feet wide, and 20 feet high. As for WS I would expect them to release it soon. I know in the past I have been able to find gym heights by looking up the facility.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80

coachchuckaahs
Member
Member
Posts: 429
Joined: April 24th, 2017, 9:19 am
Division: B
State: NM
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Test flying eliminated?

Post by coachchuckaahs » May 3rd, 2018, 9:50 am

Thanks Scott. Yes, I am more concerned about WS height. I have found floor plans from which you can scale the size of the room, but ceiling or obstruction height has been difficult. Since it is part of Moby Arena, photos tend to focus on the arena, not the Aux gym. Have not found a height online (yet). Should not be up to coaches to do the detective work when the dimensions are supposed to be out in advance.

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records

ScottMaurer19
Member
Member
Posts: 591
Joined: January 5th, 2017, 9:39 am
Division: Grad
State: OH
Location: Solon, OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Test flying eliminated?

Post by ScottMaurer19 » May 3rd, 2018, 9:54 am

coachchuckaahs wrote:Thanks Scott. Yes, I am more concerned about WS height. I have found floor plans from which you can scale the size of the room, but ceiling or obstruction height has been difficult. Since it is part of Moby Arena, photos tend to focus on the arena, not the Aux gym. Have not found a height online (yet). Should not be up to coaches to do the detective work when the dimensions are supposed to be out in advance.

Coach Chuck
I did a google search and think I found a picture of the Moby Aux. "courts" but it looks like the gym. ImageImage
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80

coachchuckaahs
Member
Member
Posts: 429
Joined: April 24th, 2017, 9:19 am
Division: B
State: NM
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Test flying eliminated?

Post by coachchuckaahs » May 3rd, 2018, 9:57 am

Yup. Those are the ONLY two photos I could find anywhere.

I guess that is the best info we'll have pending official numbers.

Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records

killer225whale
Member
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: November 23rd, 2009, 9:28 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Test flying eliminated?

Post by killer225whale » May 3rd, 2018, 12:41 pm

coachchuckaahs wrote:Yup. Those are the ONLY two photos I could find anywhere.

I guess that is the best info we'll have pending official numbers.

Chuck
The dimensions have been released: https://coloradoscienceolympiad.org/nat ... sions.html.

User avatar
sciolyperson1
Member
Member
Posts: 667
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: Test flying eliminated?

Post by sciolyperson1 » May 3rd, 2018, 1:52 pm

killer225whale wrote:
coachchuckaahs wrote:Yup. Those are the ONLY two photos I could find anywhere.

I guess that is the best info we'll have pending official numbers.

Chuck
The dimensions have been released: https://coloradoscienceolympiad.org/nat ... sions.html.
Just wondering, where did you get the link? I can't seem to find it on the website at https://coloradoscienceolympiad.org/nationals2018/
WW-P HSN '22, Community '18
sciolyperson1's Userpage
Nats:
Team - 3rd '18, '19
Roller - 1st '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17

MIT:
Gravity - 1st '20

'20: Gravity - Boomi - WIDI - PPP
Vehicle event medalling streak - 1 :(
Rate my tests!

shrewdPanther46
Member
Member
Posts: 438
Joined: October 9th, 2017, 6:25 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Test flying eliminated?

Post by shrewdPanther46 » May 3rd, 2018, 1:56 pm

Its the last item under "Teams" called "Event Room Dimensions"

User avatar
Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 198
Joined: December 4th, 2017, 7:09 pm
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: Test flying eliminated?

Post by Riptide » May 12th, 2018, 7:51 am

Source
Looks like test flying is limited to only the morning on competition day.
UC Berkeley
Seven Lakes High School '19

Locked

Return to “2018 Nationals”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest