Binder Thickness

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Binder Thickness

Post by syo_astro »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:Back in my Fossils and R&M days we used 5-inch binders, but none can compare to chalker's monster Crave the Wave binder he showed a picture of once that I couldn't find again.

(also why is this in the nats forums lmao)
ScottMaurer19 wrote:
4Head wrote:Paging ScottMaurer19
How would you know how thicc my binders are? :?:

I have three 5" binders sitting at home: fossils, rocks, and herpetology.
Sad thing is I don't use most of my rocks binder :cry:
For Rocks, I think we used a 2", though supposedly my old team lost it while moving things:/. It was a really good binder too...I could have imagined going to 3", but I probably couldn't have done bigger.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

antoine_ego wrote:Darn, I feel inadequate with my .75in Astro and like 20 page Hover binders
In fairness, my Astro binder is only about 25 pages double-sided on this year's material, but the size is inflated because of sheet protectors and because I keep past years' DSO stuff in the back.

(chances are our Hovercraft team's binder is no more than a few pages)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
4Head
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by 4Head »

Unome wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:Darn, I feel inadequate with my .75in Astro and like 20 page Hover binders
In fairness, my Astro binder is only about 25 pages double-sided on this year's material, but the size is inflated because of sheet protectors and because I keep past years' DSO stuff in the back.

Why binders in astro? I cant think of any benefit theyd have over laptops.
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion
Adi1008
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

4Head wrote:
Unome wrote:

Some people find binders easier to organize or are able to locate pages faster with a binder. Also, some states, like Georgia, don't allow laptops for Astronomy so I'd imagine teams from states like those would invest in having good binders
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
IvanGe

Post by IvanGe »

Darn, my hover binder is honestly just the AP Physics Reference Table and a crap ton of MEMES
gelinas 2016-2019, wmhs'22

nats '19:
5th - potions
5th - fossils
9th - buggy
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

Adi1008 wrote:
4Head wrote:
Unome wrote: In fairness, my Astro binder is only about 25 pages double-sided on this year's material, but the size is inflated because of sheet protectors and because I keep past years' DSO stuff in the back.

Some people find binders easier to organize or are able to locate pages faster with a binder. Also, some states, like Georgia, don't allow laptops for Astronomy so I'd imagine teams from states like those would invest in having good binders
Indeed, I typically found it easier to use binders, though I never referred to my notes much in the actual event. It was my favorite event, so it was fun to just print a news article, stuff it in the binder, read it, and highlight it...I'm a bit weird maybe. I do know, though, that when I competed, whether it was with a 3" or a 5", nobody could navigate their laptop faster than I could with a binder (we actually timed this once). Don't get me wrong, it's definitely possible to use laptops with *equal* success, but having more information with worse organization is ultimately worse.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
4Head

Post by 4Head »

syo_astro wrote:
Adi1008 wrote:
4Head wrote: Why binders in astro? I cant think of any benefit theyd have over laptops.
Indeed, I typically found it easier to use binders, though I never referred to my notes much in the actual event. It was my favorite event, so it was fun to just print a news article, stuff it in the binder, read it, and highlight it...I'm a bit weird maybe. I do know, though, that when I competed, whether it was with a 3" or a 5", nobody could navigate their laptop faster than I could with a binder (we actually timed this once). Don't get me wrong, it's definitely possible to use laptops with *equal* success, but having more information with worse organization is ultimately worse.
I see, thanks
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion
eddpmett
State: PA

Post by eddpmett »

with the two binder events i've done, road scholar was a two inch that had barely anything in it, and thermo is (i believe) one inch but is almost completely full.
idk what to put here so i'll just type something cringey random!
Almandine
State: MN

Post by Almandine »

God has entered the game.
Herpetology ONLY HERPETOLOGY
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Almandine wrote:Image

God has entered the game.
gets 21st place
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2018 Nationals”