National Member Map

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3667
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

National Member Map

Postby Unome » May 11th, 2018, 9:03 am

See image below.

This is the first decrease in membership in at least a decade. The main driver was that the majority of states had very slight decreases or increases. The only major increases that I notice are NorCal, Virginia, Tennessee, which are more than balanced out by, for example, Michigan's 30-team contraction, and smaller but significant decreases of 5-15 teams in many different states. Notably - SoCal, North Carolina, Florida, and Maryland all did not register major growth of 5-10% (~20+ teams) as they have several times in recent years. I suspect the net decrease is mainly a coincidental alignment of non-increases in those states - normal growth in those (e.g. average of the preceding five years) would have boosted the national numbers by about 90 teams.

Image
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

User avatar
PM2017
Member
Member
Posts: 394
Joined: January 20th, 2017, 5:02 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Contact:

Re: National Member Map

Postby PM2017 » May 11th, 2018, 8:39 pm

Where do you get the time to do this less than a week before nats?
2018 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions

2019 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions, Circuit Lab

--
West High School Science Olympiad

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3667
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: National Member Map

Postby Unome » May 11th, 2018, 8:44 pm

PM2017 wrote:Where do you get the time to do this less than a week before nats?

It took me 4 minutes.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

pb5754[]
Member
Member
Posts: 261
Joined: March 5th, 2017, 7:49 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Contact:

Re: National Member Map

Postby pb5754[] » May 11th, 2018, 8:50 pm

Didn't Vermont start this year...
They already have more teams than West Virginia... :?:

User avatar
Adi1008
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 423
Joined: December 6th, 2013, 1:56 pm
Division: Grad
State: TX
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

Re: National Member Map

Postby Adi1008 » May 11th, 2018, 8:55 pm

pb5754[] wrote:Didn't Vermont start this year...
They already have more teams than West Virginia... :?:

From what I understand, Science Olympiad teams in Vermont have existed before this year; they would just compete in a neighboring state.

Unome wrote:See image below.

This is the first decrease in membership in at least a decade. The main driver was that the majority of states had very slight decreases or increases. The only major increases that I notice are NorCal, Virginia, Tennessee, which are more than balanced out by, for example, Michigan's 30-team contraction, and smaller but significant decreases of 5-15 teams in many different states. Notably - SoCal, North Carolina, Florida, and Maryland all did not register major growth of 5-10% (~20+ teams) as they have several times in recent years. I suspect the net decrease is mainly a coincidental alignment of non-increases in those states - normal growth in those (e.g. average of the preceding five years) would have boosted the national numbers by about 90 teams.

Image

A month or two ago, I manually counted all the teams in Texas and got ~105 Division B and ~123 Division C teams (numbers are off the top of my head). The number of C teams grew by 1 from last year, but the number of B teams fell by about 20. Perhaps Harvey, which primarily affected the Houston area (and the Houston area is where many of Texas's teams are concentrated), had an impact on these numbers.
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14

SOPomo
Member
Member
Posts: 64
Joined: March 7th, 2016, 12:38 pm
State: -
Contact:

Re: National Member Map

Postby SOPomo » May 12th, 2018, 4:08 pm

Do you know or have access to the numbers broken apart by B and C teams, like the above post for Texas?

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3667
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: National Member Map

Postby Unome » May 12th, 2018, 4:22 pm

SOPomo wrote:Do you know or have access to the numbers broken apart by B and C teams, like the above post for Texas?

Those aren't typically released by NSO (once they were posted on the National Tournament website, but that was a while back). Approximate counts can be figured out from some team websites, although some of them may not be exact because of differences in reporting by states.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

User avatar
kate!
Member
Member
Posts: 222
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 12:07 pm
Division: B
State: NY
Location: R.C. Murphy JHS
Contact:

Re: National Member Map

Postby kate! » May 12th, 2018, 4:39 pm

This has probably already been answered but why do NorCal and SoCal only get one bid each if they're counted as separate states and have 300+ teams each?
I know stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Now I kind of know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, fossils, and water... hopefully I'll get to keep learning.

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3667
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: National Member Map

Postby Unome » May 12th, 2018, 4:43 pm

kate! wrote:This has probably already been answered but why do NorCal and SoCal only get one bid each if they're counted as separate states and have 300+ teams each?

They're not counted as separate states. The state is allocated bids as normal, and at some point in the distant past the state officials decided to host a northern and a southern tournament because of distance issues - states have a lot of control over how they run things, and this is one of those occasions. In the past, the member map counted California teams together - this was changed in 2007 or 2008, probably just for clarity or such.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

SOPomo
Member
Member
Posts: 64
Joined: March 7th, 2016, 12:38 pm
State: -
Contact:

Re: National Member Map

Postby SOPomo » May 15th, 2018, 11:07 am

Unome wrote:
kate! wrote:This has probably already been answered but why do NorCal and SoCal only get one bid each if they're counted as separate states and have 300+ teams each?

They're not counted as separate states. The state is allocated bids as normal, and at some point in the distant past the state officials decided to host a northern and a southern tournament because of distance issues - states have a lot of control over how they run things, and this is one of those occasions. In the past, the member map counted California teams together - this was changed in 2007 or 2008, probably just for clarity or such.


The age-old argument on here that some states should get more than two bids. It is interesting this year that the prior National #2 team came in 3rd at a state tournament. Go NorCal.


Return to “2018 Nationals”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest