National Member Map

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

National Member Map

Post by Unome »

See image below.

This is the first decrease in membership in at least a decade. The main driver was that the majority of states had very slight decreases or increases. The only major increases that I notice are NorCal, Virginia, Tennessee, which are more than balanced out by, for example, Michigan's 30-team contraction, and smaller but significant decreases of 5-15 teams in many different states. Notably - SoCal, North Carolina, Florida, and Maryland all did not register major growth of 5-10% (~20+ teams) as they have several times in recent years. I suspect the net decrease is mainly a coincidental alignment of non-increases in those states - normal growth in those (e.g. average of the preceding five years) would have boosted the national numbers by about 90 teams.

Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
PM2017
State: CA

Re: National Member Map

Post by PM2017 »

Where do you get the time to do this less than a week before nats?
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
Unome

Post by Unome »

PM2017 wrote:Where do you get the time to do this less than a week before nats?
It took me 4 minutes.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by pb5754 »

Didn't Vermont start this year...
They already have more teams than West Virginia... :?:
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
Adi1008
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

pb5754[] wrote:Didn't Vermont start this year...
They already have more teams than West Virginia... :?:
From what I understand, Science Olympiad teams in Vermont have existed before this year; they would just compete in a neighboring state.
Unome wrote:See image below.

This is the first decrease in membership in at least a decade. The main driver was that the majority of states had very slight decreases or increases. The only major increases that I notice are NorCal, Virginia, Tennessee, which are more than balanced out by, for example, Michigan's 30-team contraction, and smaller but significant decreases of 5-15 teams in many different states. Notably - SoCal, North Carolina, Florida, and Maryland all did not register major growth of 5-10% (~20+ teams) as they have several times in recent years. I suspect the net decrease is mainly a coincidental alignment of non-increases in those states - normal growth in those (e.g. average of the preceding five years) would have boosted the national numbers by about 90 teams.

A month or two ago, I manually counted all the teams in Texas and got ~105 Division B and ~123 Division C teams (numbers are off the top of my head). The number of C teams grew by 1 from last year, but the number of B teams fell by about 20. Perhaps Harvey, which primarily affected the Houston area (and the Houston area is where many of Texas's teams are concentrated), had an impact on these numbers.
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
SOPomo
Has thanked: 0

Post by SOPomo »

Do you know or have access to the numbers broken apart by B and C teams, like the above post for Texas?
Unome

Post by Unome »

SOPomo wrote:Do you know or have access to the numbers broken apart by B and C teams, like the above post for Texas?
Those aren't typically released by NSO (once they were posted on the National Tournament website, but that was a while back). Approximate counts can be figured out from some team websites, although some of them may not be exact because of differences in reporting by states.
Userpage

kate!
Division: C
State: NY

Post by kate! »

This has probably already been answered but why do NorCal and SoCal only get one bid each if they're counted as separate states and have 300+ teams each?
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
Unome

Post by Unome »

kate! wrote:This has probably already been answered but why do NorCal and SoCal only get one bid each if they're counted as separate states and have 300+ teams each?
They're not counted as separate states. The state is allocated bids as normal, and at some point in the distant past the state officials decided to host a northern and a southern tournament because of distance issues - states have a lot of control over how they run things, and this is one of those occasions. In the past, the member map counted California teams together - this was changed in 2007 or 2008, probably just for clarity or such.
Userpage

SOPomo
Has thanked: 0

Post by SOPomo »

Unome wrote:
kate! wrote:This has probably already been answered but why do NorCal and SoCal only get one bid each if they're counted as separate states and have 300+ teams each?
They're not counted as separate states. The state is allocated bids as normal, and at some point in the distant past the state officials decided to host a northern and a southern tournament because of distance issues - states have a lot of control over how they run things, and this is one of those occasions. In the past, the member map counted California teams together - this was changed in 2007 or 2008, probably just for clarity or such.
The age-old argument on here that some states should get more than two bids. It is interesting this year that the prior National #2 team came in 3rd at a state tournament. Go NorCal.

Return to “2018 Nationals”