Nationals Event Discussion

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Nationals Event Discussion

Post by Unome »

MIScioly1 wrote:I do wish that all tournaments, not just nationals, involved younger student alumni (eg college students) more frequently. I feel that students can sometimes write some of the best tests because they are the ones who have actually competed the events dozens of times and know what works and what doesn’t. Obviously I’m not saying adults/professors don’t do a good job, but I wish college students were more a part of the process at state and national tournaments. I think having student alumni help with the test writing/supervising could increase the quality of the tests substantially.
I'd say that, on average, the proportion of good event supervisors is similar among both groups (younger student alumni and everyone else). I've seen plenty of not-so-good alumni event supervisors.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
MIScioly1
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by MIScioly1 »

Unome wrote:
MIScioly1 wrote:I do wish that all tournaments, not just nationals, involved younger student alumni (eg college students) more frequently. I feel that students can sometimes write some of the best tests because they are the ones who have actually competed the events dozens of times and know what works and what doesn’t. Obviously I’m not saying adults/professors don’t do a good job, but I wish college students were more a part of the process at state and national tournaments. I think having student alumni help with the test writing/supervising could increase the quality of the tests substantially.
I'd say that, on average, the proportion of good event supervisors is similar among both groups (younger student alumni and everyone else). I've seen plenty of not-so-good alumni event supervisors.
Oh for sure. I still wish that scioly was more welcoming to younger supervisors at higher levels of competition.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Executive Board
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

MIScioly1 wrote:
Unome wrote:
Oh for sure. I still wish that scioly was more welcoming to younger supervisors at higher levels of competition.
My understanding is that the new Science Olympiad Alumni Task Force is designed to better retain and integrate alumni, especially at state and regional tournaments. Participation/volunteering at these tournaments, and the relationships formed as a result, often serve as a stepping stone to becoming involved at the national level.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
MIScioly1
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by MIScioly1 »

nicholasmaurer wrote:
My understanding is that the new Science Olympiad Alumni Task Force is designed to better retain and integrate alumni, especially at state and regional tournaments. Participation/volunteering at these tournaments, and the relationships formed as a result, often serve as a stepping stone to becoming involved at the national level.
Good to hear!
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Executive Board

Return to “2018 Nationals”