bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Battery Buggy B

Post by bernard »

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
cheese
Division: C
Been thanked: 0

Re: Battery Buggy B

Post by cheese »

Well I guess I should get this forum going. I think forums are one of the best places to learn from so I suggest others to join in!

Looking at the rules, It looks to me that the main variable is the distance. What do you think of braking systems?
2018 Nationals: 2nd Place Mystery Architecture || 6th Place Battery Buggy
Cheese's Userpage
SPP SciO
Division: B
State: NY

Post by SPP SciO »

Regarding rule 3.g - wheels in their entirety must fit in a 30 x 60 cm space - Would it be correct to imagine a 30x60 box drawn on the floor, and the "footprint/shadow" of all wheels has to be contained within? Or is it possible that test would allow some configurations that are actually prohibited?

My students used a 12" threaded rod as an axle for a prototype, which is slightly longer than 30.0 cm. The wheels would fit in the box, and I wouldn't think that the axle ends sticking out would count as part of "wheels in their entirety" - is that a correct assumption?
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
kinghong1970
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0

Post by kinghong1970 »

hacksaw? just to make sure you don't leave anything to interpretation of the event supervisor?
SPP SciO
State: NY

Post by SPP SciO »

kinghong1970 wrote:hacksaw? just to make sure you don't leave anything to interpretation of the event supervisor?
I'm sure that's doable, but in my experience, it's really tricky getting anything screwed on afterwards; there's usually some bending or thread deformation. It may be easier to find a shorter, pre-cut threaded rod. 12" is a pretty common size though, and threaded rods are pretty popular axles, so I'm guessing more than a few teams will encounter this eventually.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Post by bernard »

SPP SciO wrote:
kinghong1970 wrote:hacksaw? just to make sure you don't leave anything to interpretation of the event supervisor?
I'm sure that's doable, but in my experience, it's really tricky getting anything screwed on afterwards; there's usually some bending or thread deformation. It may be easier to find a shorter, pre-cut threaded rod. 12" is a pretty common size though, and threaded rods are pretty popular axles, so I'm guessing more than a few teams will encounter this eventually.
Cut the rod using a hacksaw at a slightly longer length, then sand off threads that have been damaged. Use appropriate PPE to avoid eye or lung irritation.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
cool hand luke
State: TX

Post by cool hand luke »

Thread a nut on from the other end, spin it all the way down.

Thread 2 nuts on the other end, and lock them against each other. Put a wrench on the two locked together and one on the other nut. Spin it off and it will fix the threads.

That's the redneck way if you don't have access to a tap and die set. But those aren't hard to come by either.
kinghong1970
State: NJ

Post by kinghong1970 »

when clamping on vise, clamp the short end where you want to cut off, then use the vertical surface of the vise as a guide for your saw...

i manually "chamfer" the cut end and it usually helps grind out the ugly threads... but as said, thread the nut from other end.
builder83

Post by builder83 »

Wheels and axles are too different things. I think you are correct in assuming the axle or any other part of the vehicle may extend beyond the wheel dimensions.
retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

AliExpress has ball bearing thrust washers in various sizes -- 10 sets for $6.50. Needle bearing thrust washers are also available for $7 something for a set of 10. They are great for allowing a closer fit and still reduce friction.

Return to “Battery Buggy B”