Battery Buggy B

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: Battery Buggy B

Post by windu34 »

MadCow2357 wrote: I have decided that I will have a 5 CF rod bed in the middle, but I have yet to see if I have enough CF for an extra 11.5 cm CF rod(I may switch to 11 though). I bought 1 meter sticks (4).

I will see if I can make the holes 3 cm deep. Do I need there to be some material behind the rod so it does not portrude outward? You will probably understand my question if you look at my CAD file.

Windu what do you mean when you say that screw threads gripping into the material won't be enough? So should I make threaded holes?
It doesnt matter if you have material behind the rod or not. Threads that are 3D printed are typically not very strong and VERY hard to get the right tolerances not to mention complex to design. I suggest avoiding threads all-together and using a nut-bolt fastenerhttp://championpartsonline.com.au/index ... t_id=18713
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

Thanks for warning me about the threaded holes windu! That's one mistake that you helped me to avoid :D .

So, after you push the rods in, do you glue them? And with what glue? The holes in my 3D printed parts seem to be a little large, even though I made them to be exactly 8mm. I may not be able to smash the rods in and be done, because they will mostly likely not hold without glue. :?:
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
shrewdPanther46
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

epoxy
kylg
State: AL
Has thanked: 0

Post by kylg »

balsa cement
()_|_|__/_]
()''''|_|'''''''''''
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

MadCow2357 wrote:Thanks for warning me about the threaded holes windu! That's one mistake that you helped me to avoid :D .

So, after you push the rods in, do you glue them? And with what glue? The holes in my 3D printed parts seem to be a little large, even though I made them to be exactly 8mm. I may not be able to smash the rods in and be done, because they will mostly likely not hold without glue. :?:
If the holes arent so tight that you need a hammer to get the carbon in, then you need to redesign and reprint the part. You should not be able to move the rods once they are hammered in. I always adding a small amount of liquid 2-part epoxy to the rods and plastic AFTER I have ran the vehicle multiple times and I am certain that the frame is relatively straight and the way I want it. You will not and should not be able to adjust the frame after you hammer in the rods and epoxy them. It is crucial that the rods are tight in the holes without the epoxy
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
cheese

Post by cheese »

windu34 wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:Thanks for warning me about the threaded holes windu! That's one mistake that you helped me to avoid :D .

If the holes arent so tight that you need a hammer to get the carbon in, then you need to redesign and reprint the part. You should not be able to move the rods once they are hammered in. I always adding a small amount of liquid 2-part epoxy to the rods and plastic AFTER I have ran the vehicle multiple times and I am certain that the frame is relatively straight and the way I want it. You will not and should not be able to adjust the frame after you hammer in the rods and epoxy them. It is crucial that the rods are tight in the holes without the epoxy
Yeah I print my parts about 0.1 mm bigger. The tolerance of my 3D- printer is a little more, so I spent a couple hours sanding all my parts, so that it would fit very tight with gentle hammer taps. I use #6 screws and nuts for literally everything. It surprisingly doesn't add too much weight to make a significant difference and the amount of strength and mental stability for me is a plus.
2018 Nationals: 2nd Place Mystery Architecture || 6th Place Battery Buggy
Cheese's Userpage
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by MadCow2357 »

cheese wrote:
windu34 wrote:

Yeah I print my parts about 0.1 mm bigger. The tolerance of my 3D- printer is a little more, so I spent a couple hours sanding all my parts, so that it would fit very tight with gentle hammer taps. I use #6 screws and nuts for literally everything. It surprisingly doesn't add too much weight to make a significant difference and the amount of strength and mental stability for me is a plus.
I designed 8mm holes for my 8mm CF rods. The holes are not shrinking, they seem to be getting bigger. Why is that? Would it have something to do with the different cooling processes of ABS and PLA? Dunno. :?:
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
cheese

Post by cheese »

Sometimes the orientation of your print makes a difference as there will be different tolerances in different directions.
2018 Nationals: 2nd Place Mystery Architecture || 6th Place Battery Buggy
Cheese's Userpage
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by MadCow2357 »

I guess I will just tape the rods to the 3D printed connectors temporarily if they are not completely tight. Then, when I am certain on what I am going to do, then I will glue/epoxy them in.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

MadCow2357 wrote:I guess I will just tape the rods to the 3D printed connectors temporarily if they are not completely tight. Then, when I am certain on what I am going to do, then I will glue/epoxy them in.
I tried this with MTV this year and it did not work.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

Return to “Battery Buggy B”