MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Re: Battery Buggy B

Post by MadCow2357 »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:Getting T81 3 7/8 inch wheels from Banebots.com Do I need wheel hubs, or can I attach the wheels to the threaded rod without the hubs?

Also, I got a 1/8 inch threaded rod, but I realized how small the ball bearings with an inner diameter of 1/8" (outer diameter 1/4) would be on the frame, so I am trying to decide whether I should return the 1/8 threaded rod and get a 1/4 inch. It would bend less, and the ball bearings would be a more respectable size (around 1/2 outer diameter. This could just be the perfectionist inside me being a nuisance, but it bothers me.

1 inch by 1 inch wood is too thick for the frame, or am I wrong?

I need help... :( ... fast...
1) you need hubs
2) dont buy a thicker size just because "it looks better", unless if your threaded rod is actually bending under the force of the vehicle, you have no reason to buy a new rod (i doubt it would bend in the first place)
3) 1"x1" is perfectly fine... theres no harm in having a slightly thicker frame because it will only be more sturdy.
Thanks for the quick reply. I was told that the Buggy should be relatively lightweight, but I assumed the ball bearings would be about 1/2 inch wide when I bought the wood, since fidget spinner bearings are usually that size. I discovered though, that the bearings for 1/8 threaded rods were only 1/4 inches wide, and that is ridiculous. That is like the width of of esc key on the surface type cover I am using right now to type this reply. I wanted to use a more appropriately sized set of bearings, so I thought the bearings with a inner diameter of 1/4 and an outer diameter of 1/2 paired with a 1/4 threaded rod would be better (prettier, in my opinion).
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
shrewdPanther46
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

MadCow2357 wrote:
shrewdPanther46 wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:Getting T81 3 7/8 inch wheels from Banebots.com Do I need wheel hubs, or can I attach the wheels to the threaded rod without the hubs?

Also, I got a 1/8 inch threaded rod, but I realized how small the ball bearings with an inner diameter of 1/8" (outer diameter 1/4) would be on the frame, so I am trying to decide whether I should return the 1/8 threaded rod and get a 1/4 inch. It would bend less, and the ball bearings would be a more respectable size (around 1/2 outer diameter. This could just be the perfectionist inside me being a nuisance, but it bothers me.

1 inch by 1 inch wood is too thick for the frame, or am I wrong?

I need help... :( ... fast...
1) you need hubs
2) dont buy a thicker size just because "it looks better", unless if your threaded rod is actually bending under the force of the vehicle, you have no reason to buy a new rod (i doubt it would bend in the first place)
3) 1"x1" is perfectly fine... theres no harm in having a slightly thicker frame because it will only be more sturdy.
Thanks for the quick reply. I was told that the Buggy should be relatively lightweight, but I assumed the ball bearings would be about 1/2 inch wide when I bought the wood, since fidget spinner bearings are usually that size. I discovered though, that the bearings for 1/8 threaded rods were only 1/4 inches wide, and that is ridiculous. That is like the width of of esc key on the surface type cover I am using right now to type this reply. I wanted to use a more appropriately sized set of bearings, so I thought the bearings with a inner diameter of 1/4 and an outer diameter of 1/2 paired with a 1/4 threaded rod would be better (prettier, in my opinion).
Ye we are using 1/4 inch threarded rod, and i think the bearings are around 5/12ths of an inch wide, not sure tbh, but it really shouldnt make a difference. If you have like a lot of time until your next competition, theres no harm, but theres no real need to do thta.
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by MadCow2357 »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:
shrewdPanther46 wrote:
1) you need hubs
Ye we are using 1/4 inch threarded rod, and i think the bearings are around 5/12ths of an inch wide, not sure tbh, but it really shouldnt make a difference. If you have like a lot of time until your next competition, theres no harm, but theres no real need to do thta.
Thanks a lot for all of your help. Just ordered the Banebots wheels, finally got something done today!
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
808rain
Has thanked: 0

Post by 808rain »

Can anyone please tell me what is expected to be in the practice log? Do I just pick any notebook? What information do I need to record? How many test runs need to be recorded? Thanks!
SPP SciO
Division: B
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by SPP SciO »

808rain wrote:Can anyone please tell me what is expected to be in the practice log? Do I just pick any notebook? What information do I need to record? How many test runs need to be recorded? Thanks!
For the best answer, refer to the rules (section 6). Requirements for max points are clearly listed.

From a practical standpoint, the log isn't just so you can get points on competition day, it's so you can calibrate your vehicle. Depending on how your vehicle works, some types of data may be more or less important.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by MadCow2357 »

SPP SciO wrote:
808rain wrote:Can anyone please tell me what is expected to be in the practice log? Do I just pick any notebook? What information do I need to record? How many test runs need to be recorded? Thanks!
For the best answer, refer to the rules (section 6). Requirements for max points are clearly listed.

From a practical standpoint, the log isn't just so you can get points on competition day, it's so you can calibrate your vehicle. Depending on how your vehicle works, some types of data may be more or less important.
I agree with SPP SciO, you should read section 6 of the rules. I have what the rules say right here:
PRACTICE LOG:
Teams must record at least 10 practice runs with at least 3 parameters, which must include distance, time, and
any additional parameter (e.g., wheel turns for braking, distance from Target). Logs will be impounded and
returned.
So, you need at least 10 practice runs, though you should have way more than that.
For parameters, you have to have the distance, and your run time. My recommendations for other parameters, would be your brake setting, your total score, target distance, or the distance to the point. Make sure you have an equation for the brake setting, and also make sure you measure the time to the hundredths of a second.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
mderoller

Post by mderoller »

So you could complete a practice log from 9 to 12 meters, in 50cm increments, with all the necessary data to setup your buggy for a run and bring that to the Event? Give a copy to the supervisor to be impounded?
SlipStrike1244

Post by SlipStrike1244 »

yes
be sure to include 3 variables, accuracy, time, and one more
SlipStrike1244

Post by SlipStrike1244 »

can i still get the centerline bonus if my vehicle goes off the midline at one point but ends up in it at the end
shrewdPanther46
State: NJ

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

nope, u dont get the bonus if it strays away and comes back

Return to “Battery Buggy B”