Battery Buggy B

User avatar
windu34
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1364
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Battery Buggy B

Post by windu34 » April 29th, 2018, 7:16 pm

MadCow2357 wrote: I have decided that I will have a 5 CF rod bed in the middle, but I have yet to see if I have enough CF for an extra 11.5 cm CF rod(I may switch to 11 though). I bought 1 meter sticks (4).

I will see if I can make the holes 3 cm deep. Do I need there to be some material behind the rod so it does not portrude outward? You will probably understand my question if you look at my CAD file.

Windu what do you mean when you say that screw threads gripping into the material won't be enough? So should I make threaded holes?
It doesnt matter if you have material behind the rod or not. Threads that are 3D printed are typically not very strong and VERY hard to get the right tolerances not to mention complex to design. I suggest avoiding threads all-together and using a nut-bolt fastenerhttp://championpartsonline.com.au/index ... t_id=18713
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida State Tournament Director 2020
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Circuit Lab Event Supervisor for 2020: UT Austin (B/C), MIT (C), Solon (C), Princeton (C), Golden Gate (C), Nationals (C)

User avatar
MadCow2357
Member
Member
Posts: 753
Joined: November 19th, 2017, 9:09 am
Division: C
State: RI
Location: Stark Industries Internship
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 23 times
Contact:

Re: Battery Buggy B

Post by MadCow2357 » April 30th, 2018, 3:55 am

Thanks for warning me about the threaded holes windu! That's one mistake that you helped me to avoid :D .

So, after you push the rods in, do you glue them? And with what glue? The holes in my 3D printed parts seem to be a little large, even though I made them to be exactly 8mm. I may not be able to smash the rods in and be done, because they will mostly likely not hold without glue. :?:
MadCow2357's Userpage
2020 Events: Boomilever, Machines, Wright Stuff, and sadly not Gravity Vehicle
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
Andrew Yang for VP!
In remembrance of Len Joeris (Balsa Man) and Dr. Gerard Putz - Don't cry because they are gone. Smile because they were here.

shrewdPanther46
Member
Member
Posts: 437
Joined: October 9th, 2017, 6:25 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Battery Buggy B

Post by shrewdPanther46 » April 30th, 2018, 4:43 am

epoxy

kylg
Member
Member
Posts: 53
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 5:00 pm
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Battery Buggy B

Post by kylg » April 30th, 2018, 5:19 am

balsa cement
()_|_|__/_]
()''''|_|'''''''''''

User avatar
windu34
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1364
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Battery Buggy B

Post by windu34 » April 30th, 2018, 6:45 am

MadCow2357 wrote:Thanks for warning me about the threaded holes windu! That's one mistake that you helped me to avoid :D .

So, after you push the rods in, do you glue them? And with what glue? The holes in my 3D printed parts seem to be a little large, even though I made them to be exactly 8mm. I may not be able to smash the rods in and be done, because they will mostly likely not hold without glue. :?:
If the holes arent so tight that you need a hammer to get the carbon in, then you need to redesign and reprint the part. You should not be able to move the rods once they are hammered in. I always adding a small amount of liquid 2-part epoxy to the rods and plastic AFTER I have ran the vehicle multiple times and I am certain that the frame is relatively straight and the way I want it. You will not and should not be able to adjust the frame after you hammer in the rods and epoxy them. It is crucial that the rods are tight in the holes without the epoxy
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida State Tournament Director 2020
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Circuit Lab Event Supervisor for 2020: UT Austin (B/C), MIT (C), Solon (C), Princeton (C), Golden Gate (C), Nationals (C)

User avatar
cheese
Member
Member
Posts: 211
Joined: April 8th, 2017, 7:59 pm
Division: C
Location: Wherever the cheese is
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Battery Buggy B

Post by cheese » April 30th, 2018, 4:07 pm

windu34 wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:Thanks for warning me about the threaded holes windu! That's one mistake that you helped me to avoid :D .

So, after you push the rods in, do you glue them? And with what glue? The holes in my 3D printed parts seem to be a little large, even though I made them to be exactly 8mm. I may not be able to smash the rods in and be done, because they will mostly likely not hold without glue. :?:
If the holes arent so tight that you need a hammer to get the carbon in, then you need to redesign and reprint the part. You should not be able to move the rods once they are hammered in. I always adding a small amount of liquid 2-part epoxy to the rods and plastic AFTER I have ran the vehicle multiple times and I am certain that the frame is relatively straight and the way I want it. You will not and should not be able to adjust the frame after you hammer in the rods and epoxy them. It is crucial that the rods are tight in the holes without the epoxy
Yeah I print my parts about 0.1 mm bigger. The tolerance of my 3D- printer is a little more, so I spent a couple hours sanding all my parts, so that it would fit very tight with gentle hammer taps. I use #6 screws and nuts for literally everything. It surprisingly doesn't add too much weight to make a significant difference and the amount of strength and mental stability for me is a plus.
2018 Nationals: 2nd Place Mystery Architecture || 6th Place Battery Buggy
Cheese's Userpage

User avatar
MadCow2357
Member
Member
Posts: 753
Joined: November 19th, 2017, 9:09 am
Division: C
State: RI
Location: Stark Industries Internship
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 23 times
Contact:

Re: Battery Buggy B

Post by MadCow2357 » April 30th, 2018, 5:03 pm

cheese wrote:
windu34 wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:Thanks for warning me about the threaded holes windu! That's one mistake that you helped me to avoid :D .

So, after you push the rods in, do you glue them? And with what glue? The holes in my 3D printed parts seem to be a little large, even though I made them to be exactly 8mm. I may not be able to smash the rods in and be done, because they will mostly likely not hold without glue. :?:
If the holes arent so tight that you need a hammer to get the carbon in, then you need to redesign and reprint the part. You should not be able to move the rods once they are hammered in. I always adding a small amount of liquid 2-part epoxy to the rods and plastic AFTER I have ran the vehicle multiple times and I am certain that the frame is relatively straight and the way I want it. You will not and should not be able to adjust the frame after you hammer in the rods and epoxy them. It is crucial that the rods are tight in the holes without the epoxy
Yeah I print my parts about 0.1 mm bigger. The tolerance of my 3D- printer is a little more, so I spent a couple hours sanding all my parts, so that it would fit very tight with gentle hammer taps. I use #6 screws and nuts for literally everything. It surprisingly doesn't add too much weight to make a significant difference and the amount of strength and mental stability for me is a plus.
I designed 8mm holes for my 8mm CF rods. The holes are not shrinking, they seem to be getting bigger. Why is that? Would it have something to do with the different cooling processes of ABS and PLA? Dunno. :?:
MadCow2357's Userpage
2020 Events: Boomilever, Machines, Wright Stuff, and sadly not Gravity Vehicle
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
Andrew Yang for VP!
In remembrance of Len Joeris (Balsa Man) and Dr. Gerard Putz - Don't cry because they are gone. Smile because they were here.

User avatar
cheese
Member
Member
Posts: 211
Joined: April 8th, 2017, 7:59 pm
Division: C
Location: Wherever the cheese is
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Battery Buggy B

Post by cheese » April 30th, 2018, 5:27 pm

Sometimes the orientation of your print makes a difference as there will be different tolerances in different directions.
2018 Nationals: 2nd Place Mystery Architecture || 6th Place Battery Buggy
Cheese's Userpage

User avatar
MadCow2357
Member
Member
Posts: 753
Joined: November 19th, 2017, 9:09 am
Division: C
State: RI
Location: Stark Industries Internship
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 23 times
Contact:

Re: Battery Buggy B

Post by MadCow2357 » May 1st, 2018, 7:23 am

I guess I will just tape the rods to the 3D printed connectors temporarily if they are not completely tight. Then, when I am certain on what I am going to do, then I will glue/epoxy them in.
MadCow2357's Userpage
2020 Events: Boomilever, Machines, Wright Stuff, and sadly not Gravity Vehicle
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
Andrew Yang for VP!
In remembrance of Len Joeris (Balsa Man) and Dr. Gerard Putz - Don't cry because they are gone. Smile because they were here.

User avatar
PM2017
Member
Member
Posts: 520
Joined: January 20th, 2017, 5:02 pm
Division: Grad
State: CA
Location: Enjoying College! :D
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Battery Buggy B

Post by PM2017 » May 1st, 2018, 8:29 am

MadCow2357 wrote:I guess I will just tape the rods to the 3D printed connectors temporarily if they are not completely tight. Then, when I am certain on what I am going to do, then I will glue/epoxy them in.
I tried this with MTV this year and it did not work.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

Locked

Return to “Battery Buggy B”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest