Battery Buggy B

MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Re: Battery Buggy B

Post by MadCow2357 »

Have you guys experimented with caliper steering yet? I have been trying to figure out how I could mount the bearings to the caliper... Nestor recommended to drill 3 holes in the caliper: 2 for "bearing mount quad block" mounting holes (what a mouthful), and 1 for the axle to go through. Not sure how I would drill through a metal caliper though...

Ideas people? windu I think you worked with calipers for your 2017 electric vehicle, maybe you could clear things up for me?
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
cheese
Been thanked: 0

Post by cheese »

The two wheel bases are connected with threaded rod. When you turn the threaded rod (make it tighter or looser) it changes the gap on a side. This changes how parallel the two wheel bases are. https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1XKU ... sp=sharing
2018 Nationals: 2nd Place Mystery Architecture || 6th Place Battery Buggy
Cheese's Userpage
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

I would recommend against threaded rods - they are heavy. It was fine for electric vehicle because we had plenty of motor power, but with battery buggy, you do not. I used 3D printed parts and epoxy to for my caliper steering system. I have pictures on the Best of 2017 page. Additionally, if you want to email me, I can send you additional resources.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by MadCow2357 »

cheese wrote:The two wheel bases are connected with threaded rod. When you turn the threaded rod (make it tighter or looser) it changes the gap on a side. This changes how parallel the two wheel bases are. https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1XKU ... sp=sharing
Ok thanks now I know how it works!!! So basically your frame is partially threaded rod as well... did you take this approach?
windu34 wrote:I would recommend against threaded rods - they are heavy. It was fine for electric vehicle because we had plenty of motor power, but with battery buggy, you do not. I used 3D printed parts and epoxy to for my caliper steering system. I have pictures on the Best of 2017 page. Additionally, if you want to email me, I can send you additional resources.
Yeah I thought the same thing. At least 10% of my vehicle's weight comes from the threaded axles alone. If I were to have more threaded rod in my frame... *shudder*... I would have one really heavy vehicle... :P
I will definitely look at the best of 2017 page... and I would appreciate the additional resources :) ! Should I PM my email to you then?

As an unrelated side note, can I upload pictures of my buggy and my tower to the Best of 2018 page even though they weren't the best?
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

MadCow2357 wrote:
cheese wrote:The two wheel bases are connected with threaded rod. When you turn the threaded rod (make it tighter or looser) it changes the gap on a side. This changes how parallel the two wheel bases are. https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1XKU ... sp=sharing
Ok thanks now I know how it works!!! So basically your frame is partially threaded rod as well... did you take this approach?
windu34 wrote:I would recommend against threaded rods - they are heavy. It was fine for electric vehicle because we had plenty of motor power, but with battery buggy, you do not. I used 3D printed parts and epoxy to for my caliper steering system. I have pictures on the Best of 2017 page. Additionally, if you want to email me, I can send you additional resources.
Yeah I thought the same thing. At least 10% of my vehicle's weight comes from the threaded axles alone. If I were to have more threaded rod in my frame... *shudder*... I would have one really heavy vehicle... :P
I will definitely look at the best of 2017 page... and I would appreciate the additional resources :) ! Should I PM my email to you then?

As an unrelated side note, can I upload pictures of my buggy and my tower to the Best of 2018 page even though they weren't the best?
I think as long as you were top 10 at nats, you can post? Idk I don't make those rules haha. Yes please email me, not PM. That goes for anyone who wants resources on steering - I cant add attachments through PM.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by MadCow2357 »

windu34 wrote: I think as long as you were top 10 at nats, you can post? Idk I don't make those rules haha.
Haha I was 26th but I think my Battery Buggy looked wicked awesome!!! :lol:
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
cheese
Been thanked: 0

Post by cheese »

MadCow2357 wrote:
?
I did not take this exact approach. I might share in best of 2018 and you will see there.
2018 Nationals: 2nd Place Mystery Architecture || 6th Place Battery Buggy
Cheese's Userpage

Return to “Battery Buggy B”