Battery Buggy B

User avatar
MadCow2357
Member
Member
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:09 pm
Division: B
State: RI
Location: Gallagher MS
Contact:

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby MadCow2357 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:02 pm

shrewdPanther46 wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:Getting T81 3 7/8 inch wheels from Banebots.com Do I need wheel hubs, or can I attach the wheels to the threaded rod without the hubs?

Also, I got a 1/8 inch threaded rod, but I realized how small the ball bearings with an inner diameter of 1/8" (outer diameter 1/4) would be on the frame, so I am trying to decide whether I should return the 1/8 threaded rod and get a 1/4 inch. It would bend less, and the ball bearings would be a more respectable size (around 1/2 outer diameter. This could just be the perfectionist inside me being a nuisance, but it bothers me.

1 inch by 1 inch wood is too thick for the frame, or am I wrong?

I need help... :( ... fast...


1) you need hubs
2) dont buy a thicker size just because "it looks better", unless if your threaded rod is actually bending under the force of the vehicle, you have no reason to buy a new rod (i doubt it would bend in the first place)
3) 1"x1" is perfectly fine... theres no harm in having a slightly thicker frame because it will only be more sturdy.


Thanks for the quick reply. I was told that the Buggy should be relatively lightweight, but I assumed the ball bearings would be about 1/2 inch wide when I bought the wood, since fidget spinner bearings are usually that size. I discovered though, that the bearings for 1/8 threaded rods were only 1/4 inches wide, and that is ridiculous. That is like the width of of esc key on the surface type cover I am using right now to type this reply. I wanted to use a more appropriately sized set of bearings, so I thought the bearings with a inner diameter of 1/4 and an outer diameter of 1/2 paired with a 1/4 threaded rod would be better (prettier, in my opinion).
2017-2018 Events: Battery Buggy, Mystery Architecture, and Towers
2018-2019 Events: Battery Buggy, Boomilever, Thermodynamics, maybe ELG

"“Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers.” - Homer Simpson

shrewdPanther46
Member
Member
Posts: 400
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:25 am
Division: C
State: NJ
Contact:

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby shrewdPanther46 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:16 pm

MadCow2357 wrote:
shrewdPanther46 wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:Getting T81 3 7/8 inch wheels from Banebots.com Do I need wheel hubs, or can I attach the wheels to the threaded rod without the hubs?

Also, I got a 1/8 inch threaded rod, but I realized how small the ball bearings with an inner diameter of 1/8" (outer diameter 1/4) would be on the frame, so I am trying to decide whether I should return the 1/8 threaded rod and get a 1/4 inch. It would bend less, and the ball bearings would be a more respectable size (around 1/2 outer diameter. This could just be the perfectionist inside me being a nuisance, but it bothers me.

1 inch by 1 inch wood is too thick for the frame, or am I wrong?

I need help... :( ... fast...


1) you need hubs
2) dont buy a thicker size just because "it looks better", unless if your threaded rod is actually bending under the force of the vehicle, you have no reason to buy a new rod (i doubt it would bend in the first place)
3) 1"x1" is perfectly fine... theres no harm in having a slightly thicker frame because it will only be more sturdy.


Thanks for the quick reply. I was told that the Buggy should be relatively lightweight, but I assumed the ball bearings would be about 1/2 inch wide when I bought the wood, since fidget spinner bearings are usually that size. I discovered though, that the bearings for 1/8 threaded rods were only 1/4 inches wide, and that is ridiculous. That is like the width of of esc key on the surface type cover I am using right now to type this reply. I wanted to use a more appropriately sized set of bearings, so I thought the bearings with a inner diameter of 1/4 and an outer diameter of 1/2 paired with a 1/4 threaded rod would be better (prettier, in my opinion).


Ye we are using 1/4 inch threarded rod, and i think the bearings are around 5/12ths of an inch wide, not sure tbh, but it really shouldnt make a difference. If you have like a lot of time until your next competition, theres no harm, but theres no real need to do thta.
salty

User avatar
MadCow2357
Member
Member
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:09 pm
Division: B
State: RI
Location: Gallagher MS
Contact:

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby MadCow2357 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:45 pm

shrewdPanther46 wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:
shrewdPanther46 wrote:
1) you need hubs
2) dont buy a thicker size just because "it looks better", unless if your threaded rod is actually bending under the force of the vehicle, you have no reason to buy a new rod (i doubt it would bend in the first place)
3) 1"x1" is perfectly fine... theres no harm in having a slightly thicker frame because it will only be more sturdy.


Thanks for the quick reply. I was told that the Buggy should be relatively lightweight, but I assumed the ball bearings would be about 1/2 inch wide when I bought the wood, since fidget spinner bearings are usually that size. I discovered though, that the bearings for 1/8 threaded rods were only 1/4 inches wide, and that is ridiculous. That is like the width of of esc key on the surface type cover I am using right now to type this reply. I wanted to use a more appropriately sized set of bearings, so I thought the bearings with a inner diameter of 1/4 and an outer diameter of 1/2 paired with a 1/4 threaded rod would be better (prettier, in my opinion).


Ye we are using 1/4 inch threarded rod, and i think the bearings are around 5/12ths of an inch wide, not sure tbh, but it really shouldnt make a difference. If you have like a lot of time until your next competition, theres no harm, but theres no real need to do thta.


Thanks a lot for all of your help. Just ordered the Banebots wheels, finally got something done today!
2017-2018 Events: Battery Buggy, Mystery Architecture, and Towers
2018-2019 Events: Battery Buggy, Boomilever, Thermodynamics, maybe ELG

"“Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers.” - Homer Simpson

808rain
Member
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:51 pm
State: -
Contact:

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby 808rain » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:01 pm

Can anyone please tell me what is expected to be in the practice log? Do I just pick any notebook? What information do I need to record? How many test runs need to be recorded? Thanks!

SPP SciO
Member
Member
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:21 pm
Division: B
State: NY
Location: Brooklyn
Contact:

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby SPP SciO » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:13 pm

808rain wrote:Can anyone please tell me what is expected to be in the practice log? Do I just pick any notebook? What information do I need to record? How many test runs need to be recorded? Thanks!


For the best answer, refer to the rules (section 6). Requirements for max points are clearly listed.

From a practical standpoint, the log isn't just so you can get points on competition day, it's so you can calibrate your vehicle. Depending on how your vehicle works, some types of data may be more or less important.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com

User avatar
MadCow2357
Member
Member
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:09 pm
Division: B
State: RI
Location: Gallagher MS
Contact:

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby MadCow2357 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:29 pm

SPP SciO wrote:
808rain wrote:Can anyone please tell me what is expected to be in the practice log? Do I just pick any notebook? What information do I need to record? How many test runs need to be recorded? Thanks!


For the best answer, refer to the rules (section 6). Requirements for max points are clearly listed.

From a practical standpoint, the log isn't just so you can get points on competition day, it's so you can calibrate your vehicle. Depending on how your vehicle works, some types of data may be more or less important.

I agree with SPP SciO, you should read section 6 of the rules. I have what the rules say right here:
PRACTICE LOG:
Teams must record at least 10 practice runs with at least 3 parameters, which must include distance, time, and
any additional parameter (e.g., wheel turns for braking, distance from Target). Logs will be impounded and
returned.
So, you need at least 10 practice runs, though you should have way more than that.
For parameters, you have to have the distance, and your run time. My recommendations for other parameters, would be your brake setting, your total score, target distance, or the distance to the point. Make sure you have an equation for the brake setting, and also make sure you measure the time to the hundredths of a second.
2017-2018 Events: Battery Buggy, Mystery Architecture, and Towers
2018-2019 Events: Battery Buggy, Boomilever, Thermodynamics, maybe ELG

"“Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers.” - Homer Simpson

mderoller
Member
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:00 pm
State: -
Contact:

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby mderoller » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:10 am

So you could complete a practice log from 9 to 12 meters, in 50cm increments, with all the necessary data to setup your buggy for a run and bring that to the Event? Give a copy to the supervisor to be impounded?

SlipStrike1244
Member
Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:48 pm
State: -
Contact:

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby SlipStrike1244 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:48 am

yes
be sure to include 3 variables, accuracy, time, and one more

SlipStrike1244
Member
Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:48 pm
State: -
Contact:

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby SlipStrike1244 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:16 am

can i still get the centerline bonus if my vehicle goes off the midline at one point but ends up in it at the end

shrewdPanther46
Member
Member
Posts: 400
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:25 am
Division: C
State: NJ
Contact:

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby shrewdPanther46 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:21 am

nope, u dont get the bonus if it strays away and comes back
salty

SlipStrike1244
Member
Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:48 pm
State: -
Contact:

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby SlipStrike1244 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:54 am

dang

User avatar
Galahad
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:28 am
Division: B
State: HI
Contact:

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby Galahad » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:14 am

SlipStrike1244 wrote:dang

oof oof
Here we go once again!

2018 Nats: Pots (6), Meteor (13), DD (25), Crime (26) Density (6)

Mililani/Iolani/Highlands/Kraemer/Regs/States/Nats
Pots //////
Meteor //////
DD //////
Crime //////
Density //////
Herp //////
Game //////

https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Galahad
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Highlands_Intermediate_School

SlipStrike1244
Member
Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:48 pm
State: -
Contact:

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby SlipStrike1244 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:06 pm

welp. 4th in battery buggy, could have gotten 1st easily, 1st in widi, 2nd in regional overall. i didn't position it right the second time so i got a horrible score of 270. ripriprip

shrewdPanther46
Member
Member
Posts: 400
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:25 am
Division: C
State: NJ
Contact:

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby shrewdPanther46 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:29 pm

That's basically what happened to me too... we wound wrong. Tbh, its not that hard to do something stupid and wind wrong at competition under the pressure
salty

sciolyrules107
Member
Member
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:55 pm
Division: B
State: PA
Contact:

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby sciolyrules107 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:20 am

Just out of curiosity... how fast do your cars travel for a distance of 12 meters?

Normally, after the car starts does it remain at a constant speed or does it accelerate?
pm meeeeeeeeee


Return to “Battery Buggy B”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest