3-D print battery buggy

rchand
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

3-D print battery buggy

Post by rchand »

Is it a good idea to 3d print out the frame and base of my battery buggy?
wzhang5460
Division: B
State: NY

Re: 3-D print battery buggy

Post by wzhang5460 »

rchand wrote:Is it a good idea to 3d print out the frame and base of my battery buggy?
It might be too heavy but it's worth a try! Make sure the infill is set low though. (10 to 15%)
Circuit Lab NY State Champion with legendary circuitologist Eric Wang
LONGEST DEFENDING ROCKS AND MINERALS REGIONAL CHAMPION OF EASTERN LONG ISLAND IN HISTORY ~4 YEARS AND COUNTING
UrTechGeek
Division: B
State: MI

Post by UrTechGeek »

If you were to 3D print the chassis or frame of a battery buggy, I would suggest not covering the entire bottom of the chassis and only covering half or a third of the bottom. So have something like the picture below. Leave the red area empty. This will decrease the weight a lot. Or maybe try 3D printing a chassis that is somewhat like an F1 car or a capital i. Then have the motor, batteries, and other components in the center of the vehicle. Hope this helps!!!

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Or print only components that are used to join other parts like dowels.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

bernard wrote:Or print only components that are used to join other parts like dowels.
Carbon Fiber Rods
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

windu34 wrote:
bernard wrote:Or print only components that are used to join other parts like dowels.
Carbon Fiber Rods
Carbon fiber rods are included in dowels. I've left the choice of material up to the user. Aluminum, steel, plastic, carbon fiber, basswood, balsa wood, K'nex, etc.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Almandine
Division: C
State: MN

Post by Almandine »

I would not recommend 3D printing the buggy, as the plastic can be quite brittle. If you were to, it would be quite heavy as a solid piece. To counter it, you would have to implement a hollow design with necessary supports, but that will be tricky to design and print.
Herpetology ONLY HERPETOLOGY
SamDream

Post by SamDream »

Almandine wrote:I would not recommend 3D printing the buggy, as the plastic can be quite brittle. If you were to, it would be quite heavy as a solid piece. To counter it, you would have to implement a hollow design with necessary supports, but that will be tricky to design and print.
I have done Scrambler, a 2016-2017 event, and used Actobotics parts from Servo City to make the structure. The weight came in at about 1000g, way to heavy. Now doing Battery Buggy this year, I salvaged my Scrambler car and replaced heavy aluminum parts with half as light PETG 3d printed parts made by my very new 3d Printer. You can find these part's STEP files on the Servo City website by finding the part you want and clicking the RECOURCES tab. Also, if you don't have a 3d printer and are using Actobotics, make the car lighter by using Mini Channel on the Servo City website.
shrewdPanther46
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

SamDream wrote:
Almandine wrote:I would not recommend 3D printing the buggy, as the plastic can be quite brittle. If you were to, it would be quite heavy as a solid piece. To counter it, you would have to implement a hollow design with necessary supports, but that will be tricky to design and print.
I have done Scrambler, a 2016-2017 event, and used Actobotics parts from Servo City to make the structure. The weight came in at about 1000g, way to heavy. Now doing Battery Buggy this year, I salvaged my Scrambler car and replaced heavy aluminum parts with half as light PETG 3d printed parts made by my very new 3d Printer. You can find these part's STEP files on the Servo City website by finding the part you want and clicking the RECOURCES tab. Also, if you don't have a 3d printer and are using Actobotics, make the car lighter by using Mini Channel on the Servo City website.
Did you try PLA? Isn't it risky to use petg since it's flexible? Also, what did your mass come out to following this alteration?
Matholy

Post by Matholy »

PLA is definetly better than ABS or PETG. It's easier to print and alot stronger.

Return to “Battery Buggy B”