3-D print battery buggy

PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Re: 3-D print battery buggy

Post by PM2017 »

Matholy wrote:PLA is definetly better than ABS or PETG. It's easier to print and alot stronger.
Actually, although PLA is the easiest to print, PETG is stronger and more durable.

(I'm not in this event, or division for that matter, but I have done my research on 3d printers.)
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
SahilS
Division: B
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by SahilS »

I'm using carbon fiber tubes and 3D printed connectors connect them into a rectangle. Like how you can use connectors to connect PVC pipes... just with carbon fiber instead.
shrewdPanther46
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

SahilS wrote:I'm using carbon fiber tubes and 3D printed connectors connect them into a rectangle. Like how you can use connectors to connect PVC pipes... just with carbon fiber instead.
Methods like ^ are great for building, because weight is so important in battery buggy. A heavy car will really restrict the maximum speed you can take it to (which is also why 6V motor cars have posted the best times i have seen so far at invis). I highly, highly, recommend building the way SahilS did.
SahilS

Post by SahilS »

Methods like ^ are great for building, because weight is so important in battery buggy. A heavy car will really restrict the maximum speed you can take it to (which is also why 6V motor cars have posted the best times i have seen so far at invis). I highly, highly, recommend building the way SahilS did.
So I finished my battery buggy today and I tested it. It worked perfectly and it goes very fast. One thing I would do is use thin carbon fiber because I got tubes that were 12mm wide. You can get 8mm ones which is what I would highly suggest getting. I should've not underestimated the strength of carbon fiber. Though with how fast mine goes right now, I don't think it will make much of a difference. Carbon fiber is so light though. I held all 3 rods which I used and they felt like I was holding almost nothing. I'll post a picture of it soon.
shrewdPanther46

SahilS wrote:
So I finished my battery buggy today and I tested it. It worked perfectly and it goes very fast. One thing I would do is use thin carbon fiber because I got tubes that were 12mm wide. You can get 8mm ones which is what I would highly suggest getting. I should've not underestimated the strength of carbon fiber. Though with how fast mine goes right now, I don't think it will make much of a difference. Carbon fiber is so light though. I held all 3 rods which I used and they felt like I was holding almost nothing. I'll post a picture of it soon.
We have been able to produce similar results. However, we are having issues with the car skidding due to the speed. Anyone have suggestions for tiny, very dense weights that we can use (obviously can't use lead). Suggestions?

Thanks!
kinghong1970

Post by kinghong1970 »

Um... I love CF but would not expose any kids to sanding CF unless we have dust control solutions...

Don’t want to breathe in the dusts
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

kinghong1970 wrote:Um... I love CF but would not expose any kids to sanding CF unless we have dust control solutions...

Don’t want to breathe in the dusts
Options to alleviate this hazard include wearing masks, having a fan or vacuum remove dust as it is created, or performing such tasks outdoors in a breeze.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
shrewdPanther46

You could always simply work with precut material. Even when using non CF stuff, generally, my partner and I do not find the need to sand anything (axles, etc.)
SahilS

Post by SahilS »

We have been able to produce similar results. However, we are having issues with the car skidding due to the speed. Anyone have suggestions for tiny, very dense weights that we can use (obviously can't use lead). Suggestions?

Thanks!
Ok, by skidding I am going to assume you mean your wheels stop but lose traction and skid. If so then you might want to get some wheels with grippier rubber. I am using wheels from BaneBots and they work flawlessly. You could also adjust your buggy so that it goes the distance and stops precisely at the end after skidding. If you're having trouble with your braking system and want a rod to stop the wing nut then I would use a carbon fiber rod. I am using one which has a diameter of 4mm and I just cut it with a mini miter saw. I didn't wear any protective gear to keep me away from the dust but I'm fine.
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

SahilS wrote:
Were your carbon fiber tubes circular? Besides connecting them, did you use glue as well? I am kind of dissatisfied with how plain my wooden Battery Buggy looks right now, nothing like the awesome F1 Electric Vehicle that windu34 used in the 2016 science olympiad competition. Maybe I will try a 3D printed - carbon fiber one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_Fe-PyHDsg
So OP! BTW, Why hasn't the picture come yet Sahil?! :D
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23

Return to “Battery Buggy B”