3-D print battery buggy

kinghong1970
Division: B
State: NJ

Re: 3-D print battery buggy

Postby kinghong1970 » February 25th, 2018, 11:48 am

Um... I love CF but would not expose any kids to sanding CF unless we have dust control solutions...

Don’t want to breathe in the dusts

windu34
Division: Grad
State: FL

Postby windu34 » February 25th, 2018, 1:51 pm

kinghong1970 wrote:Um... I love CF but would not expose any kids to sanding CF unless we have dust control solutions...

Don’t want to breathe in the dusts

Options to alleviate this hazard include wearing masks, having a fan or vacuum remove dust as it is created, or performing such tasks outdoors in a breeze.
President of Science Olympiad at the University of Florida || Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org
windu34's Userpage

Event Supervisor for 2019:
MIT Invitational - Mission Possible
Harvard Invitational - Sounds of Music
Princeton Invitational - Herpetology

shrewdPanther46
Division: C

Postby shrewdPanther46 » February 25th, 2018, 4:27 pm

You could always simply work with precut material. Even when using non CF stuff, generally, my partner and I do not find the need to sand anything (axles, etc.)
salty

SahilS
State: MI

Postby SahilS » March 1st, 2018, 6:59 pm

We have been able to produce similar results. However, we are having issues with the car skidding due to the speed. Anyone have suggestions for tiny, very dense weights that we can use (obviously can't use lead). Suggestions?

Thanks!

Ok, by skidding I am going to assume you mean your wheels stop but lose traction and skid. If so then you might want to get some wheels with grippier rubber. I am using wheels from BaneBots and they work flawlessly. You could also adjust your buggy so that it goes the distance and stops precisely at the end after skidding. If you're having trouble with your braking system and want a rod to stop the wing nut then I would use a carbon fiber rod. I am using one which has a diameter of 4mm and I just cut it with a mini miter saw. I didn't wear any protective gear to keep me away from the dust but I'm fine.

MadCow2357
State: RI

Postby MadCow2357 » March 31st, 2018, 5:47 am

SahilS wrote:
Methods like ^ are great for building, because weight is so important in battery buggy. A heavy car will really restrict the maximum speed you can take it to (which is also why 6V motor cars have posted the best times i have seen so far at invis). I highly, highly, recommend building the way SahilS did.

So I finished my battery buggy today and I tested it. It worked perfectly and it goes very fast. One thing I would do is use thin carbon fiber because I got tubes that were 12mm wide. You can get 8mm ones which is what I would highly suggest getting. I should've not underestimated the strength of carbon fiber. Though with how fast mine goes right now, I don't think it will make much of a difference. Carbon fiber is so light though. I held all 3 rods which I used and they felt like I was holding almost nothing. I'll post a picture of it soon.

Were your carbon fiber tubes circular? Besides connecting them, did you use glue as well? I am kind of dissatisfied with how plain my wooden Battery Buggy looks right now, nothing like the awesome F1 Electric Vehicle that windu34 used in the 2016 science olympiad competition. Maybe I will try a 3D printed - carbon fiber one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_Fe-PyHDsg
So OP! BTW, Why hasn't the picture come yet Sahil?! :D
2017-2018 Events: Battery Buggy, Mystery Architecture, and Towers
2018-2019 Events: Battery Buggy, Boomilever, Thermodynamics, maybe ELG

"Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers." - Homer Simpson

shrewdPanther46
Division: C

Postby shrewdPanther46 » April 1st, 2018, 8:01 pm

I suggest you don't rebuild if its not to serve a specific function

Its very time consuming and not a great idea (although it does look pretty cool)
salty

SahilS

Postby SahilS » April 7th, 2018, 2:43 pm

BTW, Why hasn't the picture come yet Sahil?! :D

Haha yes. I completely forgot. I'm making some adjustments right now and replacing some foam I had before with polycarb. I'll edit this post and attach the picture this weekend.

SahilS

Postby SahilS » April 10th, 2018, 2:07 pm

SahilS wrote:

Haha yes. I completely forgot. I'm making some adjustments right now and replacing some foam I had before with polycarb. I'll edit this post and attach the picture sometime soon.

SahilS

Postby SahilS » April 10th, 2018, 2:14 pm

Haha yes. I completely forgot. I'm making some adjustments right now and replacing some foam I had before with polycarb. I'll edit this post and attach the picture sometime soon.

SahilS

Postby SahilS » April 10th, 2018, 2:15 pm

SahilS wrote:

Alright I was editing a post and then pressed submit but it created a quoted replica of the same post before... I don't know how to delete posts...

MadCow2357
State: RI

Postby MadCow2357 » April 10th, 2018, 2:18 pm

SahilS wrote:
SahilS wrote:

Alright I was editing a post and then pressed submit but it created a quoted replica of the same post before... I don't know how to delete posts...

You can't. Only board administrators can do that.
2017-2018 Events: Battery Buggy, Mystery Architecture, and Towers
2018-2019 Events: Battery Buggy, Boomilever, Thermodynamics, maybe ELG

"Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers." - Homer Simpson

Return to “Battery Buggy B”