Motor

TheWingsOfFire
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Motor

Post by TheWingsOfFire »

For the buggy we are hoping to use this motor.
https://www.servocity.com/2737-rpm-prem ... gear-motor
The only problem is that under "electrical connection" it says you need a spade connection.
The guidelines do not specifically say you can use connectors, because according to the rules, "Electrical components are limited to batteries, wires, motors, switches, resistors, potentiometers & mechanical relays." Would they allow a spade connector, since it is used to connect wires?
shrewdPanther46
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

TheWingsOfFire wrote:For the buggy we are hoping to use this motor.
The only problem is that under "electrical connection" it says you need a spade connection.
The guidelines do not specifically say you can use connectors, because according to the rules, "Electrical components are limited to batteries, wires, motors, switches, resistors, potentiometers & mechanical relays." Would they allow a spade connector, since it is used to connect wires?
That seems fine to me, especially since in this years "battery rules" or whatever it is called, it is stated that there shouldn't be bare wire connections, and everything should be properly insulated.
rajofin

Post by rajofin »

How many batteries are you planning to use? Most motors I see have nominal Voltage as 12 V though you can use between 3-12. Would it work if we plan to provide just 6V?
shrewdPanther46

That's what most of us are planning on doing(6v motor, 5 batteries)

If you mean just provide 6v to a 12 v motor yea it would work, just losing rpm
rajofin

Post by rajofin »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:That's what most of us are planning on doing(6v motor, 5 batteries)

Can you please point me to a 6V motor? Just want to make sure before I order a 12V (nominal) motor.
shrewdPanther46

I would not like to say the exact motor/type I am using, but generally, I would search for motors that are generally compatible with your vehicle and work with gears from there. If you want to go with 12V, just buy whatever motor you have in mind and work from there.
SPP SciO
Division: B
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by SPP SciO »

That's fine - I think the "spade connection" refers to the terminals on the motor itself. You can get away with alligator clips for testing, but solder the wires directly to the terminals before competing.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

And then shrink wrap or tape the bare connections.. Liquid tape works extremely well.
retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

rajofin wrote:
shrewdPanther46 wrote:That's what most of us are planning on doing(6v motor, 5 batteries)

Can you please point me to a 6V motor? Just want to make sure before I order a 12V (nominal) motor.
Pololu 25D is 6 volts and available in several rpm's. It is a bit more expensive than generic Chinese motors.
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

Hi Everyone,
I am relatively new to Battery Buggy, but I did help with Scrambler last year. I am a bit overwhelmed by the number of options I have to choose from online (I want to look at some motors before I decide. What is a good rpm for the motor, and what is a reasonable price? Also,, are there are good brands that I should look out for?

Thanks, MadCow2357
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23

Return to “Battery Buggy B”