kinghong1970
Division: B
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Springs

Post by kinghong1970 »

did not see anywhere in the rules about use of springs
i take it that it's ok to use springs as long as it is not part of the propulsion?
shrewdPanther46
Division: C

Re: Springs

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

I believe so.. however keep in mind that the forums are not the official platform for rules clarifications
shrewdPanther46

Has anyone tried using the OG wingnut spring braking so that the car slows down gradually rather than skidding(people used this a lot back in the wheeled vehicle days)? If anyone is willing to share, I would like to know how much that method costs in terms of time and how effective it really is.

Also, I wasn't sure how to look for springs of the right spring constant and whatnot, so tips would be appreciated.
builder83

Post by builder83 »

I am doing something similar. I am just having the motor off switch engage about 1 meter prior to brake. The resistance in motor slows vehicle down so there is 0 skidding with wingnut brake system. This is more exact than a spring compression imo.
shrewdPanther46

builder83 wrote:I am doing something similar. I am just having the motor off switch engage about 1 meter prior to brake. The resistance in motor slows vehicle down so there is 0 skidding with wingnut brake system. This is more exact than a spring compression imo.
edit: never mind I understand.. Thanks for the explanation!
builder83

Post by builder83 »

Well, I am rather clueless when it comes to motors also. I jacked a motor off an rc car and wired it with 2 switches (one to turn it on, and then one to turn off when wingnut hits it.) When the motor is off, the axle will still turn but with resistance. The car will stop roughly on its own in about 1.5 meters. So I set the brakes about 1 meter after the power is cut. I am using dual wide banebot wheels on my brake axle, and there is 0 skid. It works really well, I have my distances now within 1 or 2 cm consistantly, and fine tuning the steering with help of small rifle scope.

Full disclosure my car probably isnt the fastest (5 sec from .5 to 8.5) mostly because its heavy and only a 6v motor. But accuracy is much more important than speed with the scoring.
shrewdPanther46

builder83 wrote:Well, I am rather clueless when it comes to motors also. I jacked a motor off an rc car and wired it with 2 switches (one to turn it on, and then one to turn off when wingnut hits it.) When the motor is off, the axle will still turn but with resistance. The car will stop roughly on its own in about 1.5 meters. So I set the brakes about 1 meter after the power is cut. I am using dual wide banebot wheels on my brake axle, and there is 0 skid. It works really well, I have my distances now within 1 or 2 cm consistantly, and fine tuning the steering with help of small rifle scope.

Full disclosure my car probably isnt the fastest (5 sec from .5 to 8.5) mostly because its heavy and only a 6v motor. But accuracy is much more important than speed with the scoring.
lol, thats nearly identical to our setup, minus the brakes. Congrats on your scores!

Return to “Battery Buggy B”