Gears

cheese
Division: C
Been thanked: 0

Gears

Post by cheese »

Just been looking around and have had a hard time finding gears. After doing some calculations, I need around a 4:1 - 7:1 gear reduction. Is it ideal to use metal gears or will plastic be fine? I've had a hard time finding any good metal ones.
2018 Nationals: 2nd Place Mystery Architecture || 6th Place Battery Buggy
Cheese's Userpage
shrewdPanther46
State: NJ

Re: Gears

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

I would suggest metal, as they wont shear under large forces. Plastic gears are simply inconsistent and never reliable in comparison to metal gears.
holmonsterX
Has thanked: 0

Post by holmonsterX »

Me and my school are new to this category, we were wondering how you get your calculations to get the correct gear size for the car and what material or brand is the most effective.
cheese

Post by cheese »

holmonsterX wrote:Me and my school are new to this category, we were wondering how you get your calculations to get the correct gear size for the car and what material or brand is the most effective.
There is another subtopic by retired called "build ideas" that explains it a little.
Cheese's Userpage
cheese

Post by cheese »

Ok, so metal will probably be the best. Does anyone know where to get metal gears then?
Cheese's Userpage
shrewdPanther46

You can derive an optimal gear ratio with a torque curve for the motor you are planning to use(along with desired rpm to travel a certain distance)

In terms of where one can obtain metal gears: you can't really go wrong buying gears from any source. Just make sure that the gears u buy have the same pressure angle(I think that's what it is called) so they mesh, and they have the required bore diameter.
cheese

Post by cheese »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:You can derive an optimal gear ratio with a torque curve for the motor you are planning to use(along with desired rpm to travel a certain distance)

In terms of where one can obtain metal gears: you can't really go wrong buying gears from any source. Just make sure that the gears u buy have the same pressure angle(I think that's what it is called) so they mesh, and they have the required bore diameter.
Ok, thats what i thought. (its pitch angle btw)
Cheese's Userpage
retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL
Has thanked: 0

Post by retired1 »

Actually, you need both gears to have the same pitch angle and the same pressure (14.5 or 20) angle to avoid problems.
shrewdPanther46

I did some research, and found that the factor that must match for two gears to mesh is modulus, which is the same thing as the pitch diameter (I think factors that influence DP, or P is the two things mentioned above). Can someone please clarify for me?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:I did some research, and found that the factor that must match for two gears to mesh is modulus, which is the same thing as the pitch diameter (I think factors that influence DP, or P is the two things mentioned above). Can someone please clarify for me?
A gear's modulus is a measure of tooth size - typically a ratio between the diameter and the number of teeth. Two gears with the same modulus will mesh properly. It's not the same thing as pitch diameter, but it is usually computed using the pitch diameter (as opposed to major or minor diameter).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “Battery Buggy B”