Gears

retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Gears

Post by retired1 »

Since he is talking about a 3 wheel vehicle, as he mentioned using servo city, it is not difficult to come up with the hub attachment that will fit the wheel and the axle of whatever rpm motor you think will work best for you. It avoids gears very nicely. Using their structural material and attachments , it is not terribly difficult to get the buggy to go rather straight. It will take quite a bit of testing to get it accurate enough to medal in many states.
samuel.barlow003
Division: C
State: UT

Post by samuel.barlow003 »

What size of axle should I put the gears on?
shrewdPanther46
State: NJ

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

I doubt it really matters...
I think ours are 1/4 inch. Just make sure its compatible with your parts.
Technically, a wider axle means more rotational inertia-1/2*m*r^2 (or moment of inertia whatever you guys refer to it as), so theoretically, it would be harder to start and stop the car from moving lol. But I really don't think it matters...
ASdaBEST

Post by ASdaBEST »

I'm using a 1/2 inch thick threaded axle for my battery buggy and I had a hard time finding spur gears that work with my pinion gear for my motor. Also, the pitch of the spur gear and pinion gear must be the same to work, right? If anyone knows a good website for gears, please share it.
shrewdPanther46

yup same pitch is needed. I suggest finding a local hobby store, it will always beat out some random online service.
retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

In my opinion, a 1/2 inch shaft is excessive and as you see finding gears to fit can bee a problem, as require much heavier gears.
Both of these add weight which will cause both a slower car and a longer stopping distance.
1/4" is more than enough if you do not abuse the car. I am using 4 mm for a prototype and it works fine other than doing a header down a stair well. To do over, I would probably go with 1/8" .
Most people will go with banebot wheels as they have a lot of options. They are relatively more expensive tho. Servo city wheels will work quite well when matched up with their motors, gears and mounts.
shrewdPanther46

Yea, I agree. The main thing with finding parts is just making sure everything is compatible.
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

I know some people mentioned traxxas gears, but I looked on the website and found nothing compatible with my 1/4" threaded rod axle. I am thinking of 3d printing the gears, but that is probably not the best option out there. Ideas?
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
shrewdPanther46

OOF dont 3d print your gears the PLA will get rekt

My suggestion: find a local hobby store and just pay them a visit. Im sure you will find something there. Thats what we did, and we are using a 1/4 inch drive/front axle as well. As windu said, plastic is better as it is much lighter (trust the OP experienced dudes lol). I didn't realize until I tried it.
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

Thx so much, you just saved me a ton of time by telling me this. I was ready to spend a whole day on learning how to make thread in Tinkercad. :P
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23

Return to “Battery Buggy B”