Brake system

builder83
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Brake system

Post by builder83 »

My vehicles motor does not require the use of all 8 batteries. I actually exploded one by overloading a 6v motor...

So now I am curious if there are different brake systems that are more accurate than a wingnut hitting a switch since I have batteries available. I could not find any online resources showing any. I was thinking of something like a photogate system that shuts off circuit when wingnut passes by and cuts through light path... but not sure if this would work.

Anybody experiment with other brake systems?
cheese
Division: C

Re: Brake system

Post by cheese »

First of all, some sort of sensor based photo gate or something like that would be not allowed unless it was made of 3e. "batteries, wires, motors, switches, resistors, potentiometers & mechanical relays.". I personally think that wing nut is the most accurate in our constraints, just make sure that the switch is activated at the same time as the brakes. Last year for scrambler, my partner and I got to the nearest half millimeter in comp with the wing nut system.
2018 Nationals: 2nd Place Mystery Architecture || 6th Place Battery Buggy
Cheese's Userpage
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

builder83 wrote:My vehicles motor does not require the use of all 8 batteries. I actually exploded one by overloading a 6v motor...

So now I am curious if there are different brake systems that are more accurate than a wingnut hitting a switch since I have batteries available. I could not find any online resources showing any. I was thinking of something like a photogate system that shuts off circuit when wingnut passes by and cuts through light path... but not sure if this would work.

Anybody experiment with other brake systems?
Would not work
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
builder83
Has thanked: 0

Post by builder83 »

cheese wrote:First of all, some sort of sensor based photo gate or something like that would be not allowed unless it was made of 3e. "batteries, wires, motors, switches, resistors, potentiometers & mechanical relays.". I personally think that wing nut is the most accurate in our constraints, just make sure that the switch is activated at the same time as the brakes. Last year for scrambler, my partner and I got to the nearest half millimeter in comp with the wing nut system.
Appreciate the response. Makes sense. I also used a wingnut system for my scrambler last year. I am just unsure how a micro switch will work (need to order 1 still).
shrewdPanther46
State: NJ

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

Anyone have advice on how to reduce skidding and get within a millimeter of the target distance consistently using a wingnut microswitch braking method (Other than just trial and error)? Also anyone have any ideas as to what specific microswitch would benefit the vehicle (ex: hinge roller or without)?

Thanks
cheese

Post by cheese »

So for how it would work, here is a video: https://youtu.be/p9OloEYf81M?t=5m36s.

Make sure your microswitch is normally on, so that when you hit it, it turns it off.
Cheese's Userpage
shrewdPanther46
State: NJ

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

Sorry for being repetitive, but I was really wondering if there was anything that could be done with a wingnut system that speeds up the process of perfection(other than simply trial and error).
cheese

Post by cheese »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:Sorry for being repetitive, but I was really wondering if there was anything that could be done with a wingnut system that speeds up the process of perfection(other than simply trial and error).
Oh I see. Well if you calculate the circumference of your wheel (pi x diameter), thats how far your vehicle will go with one wheel spin. Say it is 25 cm circumference, for 10m, it would be 10/.25 = 40. So have the wing nut in braked position, and spin 40 times from there. It should get you fairly accurate, but you can refine from there. Hopefully you get that.
Cheese's Userpage
SPP SciO
Division: B
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by SPP SciO »

https://www.amazon.com/Linear-Motion-Le ... =350664011 Curious - has anyone experimented with something like this? With the popularity of 3D printers, it's possible to find equipment like this in a variety of sizes. I'm wondering if there's any advantage in precision over a traditional hardware store wingnut/threaded axle system
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

SPP SciO wrote:https://www.amazon.com/Linear-Motion-Le ... =350664011 Curious - has anyone experimented with something like this? With the popularity of 3D printers, it's possible to find equipment like this in a variety of sizes. I'm wondering if there's any advantage in precision over a traditional hardware store wingnut/threaded axle system
There probably would be due to better tolerancing, but those setups are way too heavy.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage

Return to “Battery Buggy B”