Vehicle Mass

shrewdPanther46
Division: C
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Vehicle Mass

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

Hi guys.

I was wondering what the mass of everyone's cars came out to. I received all of my parts and am getting ready to put the vehicle together. I was wondering what everyone's masses were like and what I should target.
retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Vehicle Mass

Post by retired1 »

You go for the lightest weight possible because it has a major effect on speed.
Most people will go with rechargeable batteries which unfortunately weigh more than alkaline and probably will weigh more than the rest of the buggy.
cheese

Post by cheese »

I went sturdy over lightness, so mine came in around 800g.
2018 Nationals: 2nd Place Mystery Architecture || 6th Place Battery Buggy
Cheese's Userpage
shrewdPanther46

are you using a 6v motor? Mine with a 6V motor and 5 batteries came out to only around 500 grams (with a wooden chassis)
Almandine
State: MN

Post by Almandine »

Did you know that killing your battery buggy will make its spirit ascend, making it lighter?
I tried this, and my buggy went from 400g to only 325g
Herpetology ONLY HERPETOLOGY
cheese

Post by cheese »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:are you using a 6v motor? Mine with a 6V motor and 5 batteries came out to only around 500 grams (with a wooden chassis)
I am using a 9v motor, more torque = more speed, and overcomes the weight.
2018 Nationals: 2nd Place Mystery Architecture || 6th Place Battery Buggy
Cheese's Userpage
shrewdPanther46

You can try the set up out, but just saying speed and torque are generally inversely related... but you will get more power directly out of your motor. But that will most definitely not translate to speed in your vehicle.
cheese wrote:
shrewdPanther46 wrote:are you using a 6v motor? Mine with a 6V motor and 5 batteries came out to only around 500 grams (with a wooden chassis)
I am using a 9v motor, more torque = more speed, and overcomes the weight.
retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

1st buggy. 556 g with 5 NiMH batteries. 1/2" 90 degree aluminum frame line drilled and bolted. Went the .5 to 8.5 m in 3 to 4 seconds. 4 mm axles. Banebot shore 30 wheels. Spins tires for about .3 m. Polou 25D motor 460 rpm. About 2:1 transmission gear set up.I can make a modest change in the gears which should reduce spinning and go a bit faster.
Next buggy will be hard balsa using plastic bushings. Hope to drop the weight to 400 + g range. Will do a significant change in gear ratio.

Careless today. Steering changed a bit from all of the handling and the buggy went down the stairwell. Bent the front axle. Can remove and straighten but simpler to use new rod.
shrewdPanther46

retired1 wrote:1st buggy. 556 g with 5 NiMH batteries. 1/2" 90 degree aluminum frame line drilled and bolted. Went the .5 to 8.5 m in 3 to 4 seconds. 4 mm axles. Banebot shore 30 wheels. Spins tires for about .3 m. Polou 25D motor 460 rpm. About 2:1 transmission gear set up.I can make a modest change in the gears which should reduce spinning and go a bit faster.
Next buggy will be hard balsa using plastic bushings. Hope to drop the weight to 400 + g range. Will do a significant change in gear ratio.

Careless today. Steering changed a bit from all of the handling and the buggy went down the stairwell. Bent the front axle. Can remove and straighten but simpler to use new rod.
average accuracy?

Return to “Battery Buggy B”