Wheels

retired1
Member
Member
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:04 am
Division: Grad
State: FL
Contact:

Re: Wheels

Postby retired1 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:21 am

It is not that bad. Buy 6 mm hubs. Your 1/4" all thread will probably be a very snug fit. I would lightly sand the all thread to make a nice snug fit. All thread has a wide max thread size range, so it depends on what you have..
Another option would be to drill out the hub with a drill 1 size smaller than 1/4"
The sanding option is the safest and the fastest.

SPP SciO
Member
Member
Posts: 243
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:21 pm
Division: B
State: NY
Location: Brooklyn
Contact:

Re: Wheels

Postby SPP SciO » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:55 pm

retired1 wrote:It is not that bad. Buy 6 mm hubs. Your 1/4" all thread will probably be a very snug fit. I would lightly sand the all thread to make a nice snug fit. All thread has a wide max thread size range, so it depends on what you have..
Another option would be to drill out the hub with a drill 1 size smaller than 1/4"
The sanding option is the safest and the fastest.


Respectfully disagreeing with this - Those strategies may be totally viable, if and only if you know how to use tools properly. Battery buggy is a B event - roughly 11-14 year olds. My experience with that age range is that they’re prone to act before thinking, and unless they are somewhat experienced, they’re likely to damage some parts, substantially narrowing opportunities for design changes in the future. I would give the opposite advice, suggesting not to modify parts permanently to meet a single need. One example, the vex plastic bearing blocks almost but not quite fit in servocity channel. I reluctantly agreed to let two students melt the plastic, smash it in with brute force and secure with liberal superglue. It worked - until they wanted to change the design - at which point they were stuck.

Of course, I’m speaking from a more novice (typical) standpoint. Readers of this thread that are looking for state medals, go on and make your dream design a reality by any means necessary but proceed carefully.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com

retired1
Member
Member
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:04 am
Division: Grad
State: FL
Contact:

Re: Wheels

Postby retired1 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:20 pm

1/4- 20 all thread is 0.236" diameter
6 mm is 0.244"
It should come close to fitting if the cut ends are beveled very slightly as you would do to screw a nut onto the cut end. To reduce the rod diameter a tiny tiny bit, you put one end of the rod into a drill chuck and fold over a piece of 120 grit sand paper. Hold this between the thumb and forefinger and sand a few seconds at a time to the point that the all thread will just fit in the banebot hub. This is certainly within the capability of most middle school students.
The rod is not damaged and can be used for most other things.

The real challenge for middle school students will be trying to get the snap clip to fit into the groove. The piece that holds the wheel onto the hub. This very highly probably require a snap clip tool. (a reverse pin pliers). Plan on needing some adult help for this. It is not easy.

So what is your suggestion for a suitable wheel?

Chameleon02
Member
Member
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:54 pm
Division: C
State: MI
Contact:

Re: Wheels

Postby Chameleon02 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:31 am

shrewdPanther46 wrote:Anyone in possession of four, 2 7/8 diameter, T81 banebots wheels (unused and new, and of the same durometer)that is willing to sell? I am willing to pay whatever you feel is necessary. If you do, please PM me.

I bought 2 2 7/8 and 2 2 3/8 wheels about a month back. We had planned on using them to increase speed but our vehicles speed did not increase and I am considering returning them. They are unused and new. I dont know if I am allowed to sell them though through the forums.
Disclaimer: we bought 2mm hubs for all the wheels but drilled them to be 3/16 inch so they could fit our axle.

SPP SciO
Member
Member
Posts: 243
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:21 pm
Division: B
State: NY
Location: Brooklyn
Contact:

Re: Wheels

Postby SPP SciO » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:51 am

retired1 wrote:1/4- 20 all thread is 0.236" diameter
6 mm is 0.244"
It should come close to fitting if the cut ends are beveled very slightly as you would do to screw a nut onto the cut end. To reduce the rod diameter a tiny tiny bit, you put one end of the rod into a drill chuck and fold over a piece of 120 grit sand paper. Hold this between the thumb and forefinger and sand a few seconds at a time to the point that the all thread will just fit in the banebot hub. This is certainly within the capability of most middle school students.
The rod is not damaged and can be used for most other things.

The real challenge for middle school students will be trying to get the snap clip to fit into the groove. The piece that holds the wheel onto the hub. This very highly probably require a snap clip tool. (a reverse pin pliers). Plan on needing some adult help for this. It is not easy.

So what is your suggestion for a suitable wheel?


Fair enough - I was just thinking about drilling out hubs - the whole point of buying them is to get precisely machined parts. Some slightly off-center drilling could really mess things up. My suggestion would be to buy a new threaded rod that fits perfectly. Of course, that’s not always easy with time running out.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com

shrewdPanther46
Member
Member
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:25 am
Division: C
State: NJ
Contact:

Re: Wheels

Postby shrewdPanther46 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:57 am

SPP SciO wrote:
retired1 wrote:1/4- 20 all thread is 0.236" diameter
6 mm is 0.244"
It should come close to fitting if the cut ends are beveled very slightly as you would do to screw a nut onto the cut end. To reduce the rod diameter a tiny tiny bit, you put one end of the rod into a drill chuck and fold over a piece of 120 grit sand paper. Hold this between the thumb and forefinger and sand a few seconds at a time to the point that the all thread will just fit in the banebot hub. This is certainly within the capability of most middle school students.
The rod is not damaged and can be used for most other things.

The real challenge for middle school students will be trying to get the snap clip to fit into the groove. The piece that holds the wheel onto the hub. This very highly probably require a snap clip tool. (a reverse pin pliers). Plan on needing some adult help for this. It is not easy.

So what is your suggestion for a suitable wheel?


Fair enough - I was just thinking about drilling out hubs - the whole point of buying them is to get precisely machined parts. Some slightly off-center drilling could really mess things up. My suggestion would be to buy a new threaded rod that fits perfectly. Of course, that’s not always easy with time running out.


I agree. Avoid anything at all that could modify or damage machined parts.

About the snap rings, my partner got it in with two paperclips lol

Adult help can be avoided in its entirety with the right skillset and tools. It really isn't necessary, and in my opinion, in a FEW situations, can even be immoral.
salty

retired1
Member
Member
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:04 am
Division: Grad
State: FL
Contact:

Re: Wheels

Postby retired1 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:54 pm

I would love to know how he did it with 2 paperclips. I am sure that there are a few others out there that would like to know.

shrewdPanther46
Member
Member
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:25 am
Division: C
State: NJ
Contact:

Re: Wheels

Postby shrewdPanther46 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:33 pm

Just slide an end of a paper clip into each hole of the snap ring, and pull to open.
salty

User avatar
cheese
Member
Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:59 am
Division: C
State: MN
Location: Wherever the cheese is
Contact:

Re: Wheels

Postby cheese » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:41 pm

Snap ring pliers are fairly cheap on amazon, and will save you plenty of time.
BuildingFriend wrote:"Towers is basically a love affair- be ready to destroy your hard work of hours in a matter of minutes."

2018 Nationals: 2nd Place Mystery Architecture || 6th Place Battery Buggy
Cheese's Userpage


Return to “Battery Buggy B”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests