Division: C
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wheels

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

SPP SciO wrote:
retired1 wrote:1/4- 20 all thread is 0.236" diameter
6 mm is 0.244"
It should come close to fitting if the cut ends are beveled very slightly as you would do to screw a nut onto the cut end. To reduce the rod diameter a tiny tiny bit, you put one end of the rod into a drill chuck and fold over a piece of 120 grit sand paper. Hold this between the thumb and forefinger and sand a few seconds at a time to the point that the all thread will just fit in the banebot hub. This is certainly within the capability of most middle school students.
The rod is not damaged and can be used for most other things.

The real challenge for middle school students will be trying to get the snap clip to fit into the groove. The piece that holds the wheel onto the hub. This very highly probably require a snap clip tool. (a reverse pin pliers). Plan on needing some adult help for this. It is not easy.

So what is your suggestion for a suitable wheel?
Fair enough - I was just thinking about drilling out hubs - the whole point of buying them is to get precisely machined parts. Some slightly off-center drilling could really mess things up. My suggestion would be to buy a new threaded rod that fits perfectly. Of course, that’s not always easy with time running out.
I agree. Avoid anything at all that could modify or damage machined parts.

About the snap rings, my partner got it in with two paperclips lol

Adult help can be avoided in its entirety with the right skillset and tools. It really isn't necessary, and in my opinion, in a FEW situations, can even be immoral.
retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL
Has thanked: 0

Post by retired1 »

I would love to know how he did it with 2 paperclips. I am sure that there are a few others out there that would like to know.
shrewdPanther46
State: NJ

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

Just slide an end of a paper clip into each hole of the snap ring, and pull to open.
cheese

Post by cheese »

Snap ring pliers are fairly cheap on amazon, and will save you plenty of time.
2018 Nationals: 2nd Place Mystery Architecture || 6th Place Battery Buggy
Cheese's Userpage

Return to “Battery Buggy B”