Wheels

kinghong1970
Division: B
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wheels

Post by kinghong1970 »

[email protected] wrote:Thank you all for the suggestions. I am using 1/4" rod with some plastic box cap for wheels :(
This is creating inconsistency in distance and allignment. I am planning to order and use bane bots (but felt like shipping charge is more and thought of checking for alternative with less expensive !!!)

Based on all your suggestion, looks like it is worth trying bane bots. But next confusion is which Shore value to order 30/40/50/60. I can rule out 60 Shore as it may not give good grip and lead to skid. Anyone please confirm which Shore value wheel is good or you already using
it's a tradeoff really... softer wheels, you'll loose speed, harder wheels, yea, like you said.

it took us many trials to figure out what worked best... and that's pretty much what i push the kids to do... they need to figure it out.
it's not a magic formula that you plug in and build a kit and get it done.

part of the Science Olympiad that is basically the true beauty of it is the fact that the participants need to figure it out.
research
research
research

and still quite a bit of trial and error but with each phase, identify the problem and work to solve it.

so, you should work it out because what worked for us may not work for you.
SPP SciO
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by SPP SciO »

[email protected] wrote:Thank you all for the suggestions. I am using 1/4" rod with some plastic box cap for wheels :(
This is creating inconsistency in distance and allignment. I am planning to order and use bane bots (but felt like shipping charge is more and thought of checking for alternative with less expensive !!!)

Based on all your suggestion, looks like it is worth trying bane bots. But next confusion is which Shore value to order 30/40/50/60. I can rule out 60 Shore as it may not give good grip and lead to skid. Anyone please confirm which Shore value wheel is good or you already using
I don’t think it was that long ago people used CD wheels either. A balloon is typically stretched over them for traction. No fancy hardware required if you’re pressed on time. There are a lot of videos on YouTube showing older vehicle events, and some cd wheels have done really well.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
shrewdPanther46
Division: C

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

SPP SciO wrote:

I don’t think it was that long ago people used CD wheels either. A balloon is typically stretched over them for traction. No fancy hardware required if you’re pressed on time. There are a lot of videos on YouTube showing older vehicle events, and some cd wheels have done really well.
^

Also, if you were previously running on simple plastic bottle caps, then i'd assume the top speed of your car is currently, well, slow. Thus, it really wouldn't matter what shore you pick as they would all act identically on your car (even if you are braking suddenly, you probably won't be skidding). Don't think about it too much and go ahead.
shrewdPanther46

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

Anyone in possession of four, 2 7/8 diameter, T81 banebots wheels (unused and new, and of the same durometer)that is willing to sell? I am willing to pay whatever you feel is necessary. If you do, please PM me.
A$AP

Post by A$AP »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:Anyone in possession of four, 2 7/8 diameter, T81 banebots wheels (unused and new, and of the same durometer)that is willing to sell? I am willing to pay whatever you feel is necessary. If you do, please PM me.
Lol Ikr I couldn't find any Anywhere. It sucks that they don't sell any more 1/4" or 3/8 type hubs for type 40 wheels.
retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

It is not that bad. Buy 6 mm hubs. Your 1/4" all thread will probably be a very snug fit. I would lightly sand the all thread to make a nice snug fit. All thread has a wide max thread size range, so it depends on what you have..
Another option would be to drill out the hub with a drill 1 size smaller than 1/4"
The sanding option is the safest and the fastest.
SPP SciO

Post by SPP SciO »

retired1 wrote:It is not that bad. Buy 6 mm hubs. Your 1/4" all thread will probably be a very snug fit. I would lightly sand the all thread to make a nice snug fit. All thread has a wide max thread size range, so it depends on what you have..
Another option would be to drill out the hub with a drill 1 size smaller than 1/4"
The sanding option is the safest and the fastest.
Respectfully disagreeing with this - Those strategies may be totally viable, if and only if you know how to use tools properly. Battery buggy is a B event - roughly 11-14 year olds. My experience with that age range is that they’re prone to act before thinking, and unless they are somewhat experienced, they’re likely to damage some parts, substantially narrowing opportunities for design changes in the future. I would give the opposite advice, suggesting not to modify parts permanently to meet a single need. One example, the vex plastic bearing blocks almost but not quite fit in servocity channel. I reluctantly agreed to let two students melt the plastic, smash it in with brute force and secure with liberal superglue. It worked - until they wanted to change the design - at which point they were stuck.

Of course, I’m speaking from a more novice (typical) standpoint. Readers of this thread that are looking for state medals, go on and make your dream design a reality by any means necessary but proceed carefully.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

1/4- 20 all thread is 0.236" diameter
6 mm is 0.244"
It should come close to fitting if the cut ends are beveled very slightly as you would do to screw a nut onto the cut end. To reduce the rod diameter a tiny tiny bit, you put one end of the rod into a drill chuck and fold over a piece of 120 grit sand paper. Hold this between the thumb and forefinger and sand a few seconds at a time to the point that the all thread will just fit in the banebot hub. This is certainly within the capability of most middle school students.
The rod is not damaged and can be used for most other things.

The real challenge for middle school students will be trying to get the snap clip to fit into the groove. The piece that holds the wheel onto the hub. This very highly probably require a snap clip tool. (a reverse pin pliers). Plan on needing some adult help for this. It is not easy.

So what is your suggestion for a suitable wheel?
Chameleon02
State: MI

Post by Chameleon02 »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:Anyone in possession of four, 2 7/8 diameter, T81 banebots wheels (unused and new, and of the same durometer)that is willing to sell? I am willing to pay whatever you feel is necessary. If you do, please PM me.
I bought 2 2 7/8 and 2 2 3/8 wheels about a month back. We had planned on using them to increase speed but our vehicles speed did not increase and I am considering returning them. They are unused and new. I dont know if I am allowed to sell them though through the forums.
Disclaimer: we bought 2mm hubs for all the wheels but drilled them to be 3/16 inch so they could fit our axle.
Last&SeventhYearSciolyer
2020 Events: Boomilever, Wright Stuff, Protein, Chem lab, Gravvy
The Air Trajectory nostalgia hits hard
SPP SciO

Post by SPP SciO »

retired1 wrote:1/4- 20 all thread is 0.236" diameter
6 mm is 0.244"
It should come close to fitting if the cut ends are beveled very slightly as you would do to screw a nut onto the cut end. To reduce the rod diameter a tiny tiny bit, you put one end of the rod into a drill chuck and fold over a piece of 120 grit sand paper. Hold this between the thumb and forefinger and sand a few seconds at a time to the point that the all thread will just fit in the banebot hub. This is certainly within the capability of most middle school students.
The rod is not damaged and can be used for most other things.

The real challenge for middle school students will be trying to get the snap clip to fit into the groove. The piece that holds the wheel onto the hub. This very highly probably require a snap clip tool. (a reverse pin pliers). Plan on needing some adult help for this. It is not easy.

So what is your suggestion for a suitable wheel?
Fair enough - I was just thinking about drilling out hubs - the whole point of buying them is to get precisely machined parts. Some slightly off-center drilling could really mess things up. My suggestion would be to buy a new threaded rod that fits perfectly. Of course, that’s not always easy with time running out.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep

Return to “Battery Buggy B”