Capacitors

23AnthonyAhn
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Capacitors

Post by 23AnthonyAhn »

So, in the Ward's Science kit, it came with a capacitor. I was wondering if I would be able to use it based off of rule 3 e. Thanks!
shrewdPanther46
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Capacitors

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

You cannot use. Idk why Ward's science put it in their kit. You can only use the componenets listed under that rule.
vb

Post by vb »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:You cannot use. Idk why Ward's science put it in their kit. You can only use the componenets listed under that rule.
Thank you, I did not realize it until I read the rule 3e. - Participants may purchase or make components (e.g., motors, gearboxes, bodies, and chassis). Electricalcomponents are limited to batteries, wires, motors, switches, resistors, potentiometers & mechanical relays
CoraDias

Post by CoraDias »

Hi...I've seen a decent amount of articles and threads about adding a 1000μF capacitor to the electronics setup to smooth out the power and stop potential voltage spikes from damaging other electronics. However I've seen no reasoning on the choice of using 1000μF capacitor. Anyone know why this is and why most people use this aside from say a 100μF or 2000μF capacitor? Also which voltage rating would be appropriate for say a 4s setup with 35 amp ecs's.

china pcba
Last edited by CoraDias on April 25th, 2018, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheese

Post by cheese »

CoraDias wrote:Hi...I've seen a decent amount of articles and threads about adding a 1000μF capacitor to the electronics setup to smooth out the power and stop potential voltage spikes from damaging other electronics. However I've seen no reasoning on the choice of using 1000μF capacitor. Anyone know why this is and why most people use this aside from say a 100μF or 2000μF capacitor? Also which voltage rating would be appropriate for say a 4s setup with 35 amp ecs's.
I don't know if you are asking about this for battery buggy, because you are not allowed to use capacitors nor esc's for it as stated by shrewdpanther
2018 Nationals: 2nd Place Mystery Architecture || 6th Place Battery Buggy
Cheese's Userpage
shrewdPanther46
State: NJ

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

CoraDias wrote:Hi...I've seen a decent amount of articles and threads about adding a 1000μF capacitor to the electronics setup to smooth out the power and stop potential voltage spikes from damaging other electronics. However I've seen no reasoning on the choice of using 1000μF capacitor. Anyone know why this is and why most people use this aside from say a 100μF or 2000μF capacitor? Also which voltage rating would be appropriate for say a 4s setup with 35 amp ecs's.
You seem to be a robotics competitor lol
I suggest you ask your question elsewhere, as most competitors for Battery Buggy don't know about this stuff (like me).

I'm relatively sure it doesn't matter, but for a 4s setup, a stronger capacitor is probably better for regulation, but of course, you must keep safety in mind.

Return to “Battery Buggy B”