Competitive Times for Nationals

shrewdPanther46
Division: C
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Re: Competitive Times for Nationals

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

Thats a combination of time and accuracy. The time score is the time in seconds multiplied by 2. The accuracy score is the distance from the target point in cm multiplied by 4. The total score is the sum of both values, and a bonus of -25 points if you make centerline bonus.

We are discussing time score, so I was essentially asking if anyone has seen cars that cover the distance in 2 seconds or less.
jcmarcus0816
Has thanked: 0

Post by jcmarcus0816 »

RyanMist wrote:
jcmarcus0816 wrote:
shrewdPanther46 wrote:Has anyone seen time scores under 4 points at competition? What were the best times of cars you have seen where the accuracy is still competitive?

I'm getting worried that the speed of my car will not suffice after my partner and I slowed it down for accuracy, so I would like to know the kind of times we will all be seeing at nationals.

My partner and I got a time score of a little over 5 at the Michigan state competition with a distance score of 8, and we got first. At one point we did have a time score of under four but the car skid so much that the consistency was completely wack. There are some ways you can get the car to take a longer time to slow down to reduce skidding but we did not have enough time, so we just slowed our car down to about 2.6 seconds. If I were you, I would just focus on accuracy and make sure your car can run under 3 seconds.
I don't compete in this event and I am not completely sure about the rules. I think our team got a negative number of points and we got 2nd at states. Again I am not sure if this is true but I'm pretty sure
Yes that would make sense, my team's score was around -12 or so.
builder83
Has thanked: 0

Post by builder83 »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:Thats a combination of time and accuracy. The time score is the time in seconds multiplied by 2. The accuracy score is the distance from the target point in cm multiplied by 4. The total score is the sum of both values, and a bonus of -25 points if you make centerline bonus.

We are discussing time score, so I was essentially asking if anyone has seen cars that cover the distance in 2 seconds or less.
Would be sheer luck to have a 2 second car be sub 2 cm accuracy. Not to peel out the car would need to be heavy, and then there would be big skid issues.
hippo9
State: IN

Post by hippo9 »

Well if you could pull of what Troy supposedly did in EV, it could be possible.
2018: Battery Buggy, Road Scholar, Roller Coaster
2019: Chem Lab, Code, Disease, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds
2020 and 2021: Astro, Chem Lab, Code, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds

When you miss nats twice by a combined two points :|
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

hippo9 wrote:Well if you could pull of what Troy supposedly did in EV, it could be possible.
Troy's accuracy was a bit shotty, but their times were between 1.1-1.3 seconds and it was incredible watching them test they day before competition
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
hippo9
State: IN

Post by hippo9 »

I was referring to the "black magic" stop...
2018: Battery Buggy, Road Scholar, Roller Coaster
2019: Chem Lab, Code, Disease, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds
2020 and 2021: Astro, Chem Lab, Code, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds

When you miss nats twice by a combined two points :|
shrewdPanther46

builder83 wrote:
shrewdPanther46 wrote:Thats a combination of time and accuracy. The time score is the time in seconds multiplied by 2. The accuracy score is the distance from the target point in cm multiplied by 4. The total score is the sum of both values, and a bonus of -25 points if you make centerline bonus.

Would be sheer luck to have a 2 second car be sub 2 cm accuracy. Not to peel out the car would need to be heavy, and then there would be big skid issues.
That's not true at all whatsoever. If you have a heavy car with a consistent braking system, it is definitely possible to avoid skid issues as well.
NOTE: This is just my theory, as I am sure that if I really wanted to, I could push my times down.
cheese

Post by cheese »

my partner and i were discussing this a little today.

If our car goes around 4 seconds, its an 8 score.

if it goes 3 seconds, its a score of 6.

if my car is 3 cm away from the point with 3 seconds, the d + t score is 18

if it is 2.5 cm away from the point with 4 seconds, the d + t score is also 18.

It is very easy to get that 0.5 cm closer, and much more consistent, rather than boosting the voltage by a battery and having skid.
2018 Nationals: 2nd Place Mystery Architecture || 6th Place Battery Buggy
Cheese's Userpage
shrewdPanther46

yea its about balance
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:
builder83 wrote:

That's not true at all whatsoever. If you have a heavy car with a consistent braking system, it is definitely possible to avoid skid issues as well.
NOTE: This is just my theory, as I am sure that if I really wanted to, I could push my times down.
Just gonna post a few stats from EV 2016:
Score is determined by time (in seconds) x 10 + distance to target (centimeters)
1st place Mounds View: ~16 points - A score of 20 would mean that their run was 2 seconds and 0 cm from target. iirc, they had 0cm off and 1.6 second run.
2nd place Boca Raton: 20.7 with a time of 1.79s and distance of 2.8cm
3rd place Troy: ~21-22 with a time of ~1.3 and ~8cm distance
Granted in EV, we had integrated circuits and brushless motors.

Addionally, weight does NOT result in skid issues. It may increase momentum, but it also increases normal force and I found that I could control skid quite well despite the heavy device (2-3 kg's). There are plenty of little things such as cleaning the floor, "conditioning" you tires, and adjusting weight distribution that can have large effects on reducing skid.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage

Return to “Battery Buggy B”