Competitive Times for Nationals

hippo9
Division: C
State: IN

Re: Competitive Times for Nationals

Post by hippo9 »

No definitely accuracy is more important than time, but still if you have multiple teams who are very accurate it could come down to time
2018: Battery Buggy, Road Scholar, Roller Coaster
2019: Chem Lab, Code, Disease, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds
2020 and 2021: Astro, Chem Lab, Code, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds

When you miss nats twice by a combined two points :|
shrewdPanther46
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

Yea we kinda got carried away by speed. We are most likely not going to place high because of that. Our accuracy wavers at around less than 6-7 cm :(

Working on it though, we have plans to improve, but tbh, the teams that medal will all be under 3 cm for sure, maybe even 2. Between them, the fastest wins. I'm expecting 3 second cars under 2-3 cm will place.
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

You guys all make me feel bad :( . I have not even managed to get closer than 5cm, averaging around 30 cm off. I was celebrating when I got 9 cm off but after reading your posts :o ...

I think my accuracy is terrible because my car skids so much. It could be running straight as an arrow, but the wingnut brake engages and the whole thing fishtails. I have missed the center line bonus so many times because of this. Any ideas on reducing skid?

I think maybe reducing weight (and therefore momentum) might help. I am using T81 3 7/8 inch Banebots wheels.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
shrewdPanther46

I would say just reduce your speed. How fast is your car going? The car I'm running w/my partner rn is relatively fast but we can't notice any visible skidding, and we have no unique thing helping our car not skid
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by MadCow2357 »

About 2.7 seconds. I can't change anything right now, as my states competition is tomorrow. But if my team makes it to nationals, I may try reducing speed to increase accuracy. I went overboard with the speed, too, like you had once said before.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
shrewdPanther46

Lol I feel you man.. speed is where its at ;)
If you decrease your speed and practice, I guarantee you it will work out. Dynamic braking might help... but we aren't using it because we are somewhat satisfied with what we have.

Edit: extra note, we were stuck at around 20 cm off for a really really really really long time. over time, when u practice, pay attention to what the issue is, and just keep trying small things to change it. One thing that impacted our car's accuracy for the very first time we run it after removing it from the box was the way we positioned the wingnut in the box. Theres a lot of factors to consider and account for
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by MadCow2357 »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:Lol I feel you man.. speed is where its at ;)
If you decrease your speed and practice, I guarantee you it will work out. Dynamic braking might help... but we aren't using it because we are somewhat satisfied with what we have.

Edit: extra note, we were stuck at around 20 cm off for a really really really really long time. over time, when u practice, pay attention to what the issue is, and just keep trying small things to change it. One thing that impacted our car's accuracy for the very first time we run it after removing it from the box was the way we positioned the wingnut in the box. Theres a lot of factors to consider and account for
Thanks. You have no idea how much I have learned from you and the other guys on there forum. By the way, what is dynamic braking?

Wish me luck for tomorrow, I'll need it.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

MadCow2357 wrote:

Thanks. You have no idea how much I have learned from you and the other guys on there forum. By the way, what is dynamic braking?

I believe shrewdPanther46 is referring to introducing a braking force while the vehicle is still in motion, whether that be transferring kinetic energy into stored potential energy in the form of an elastic or spring, or turning off the motor to introduce the motors internal resistance to help slow the vehicle, or some other method other than only relying on the physical locking of the wingnut at the very end
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by MadCow2357 »

windu34 wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:

I believe shrewdPanther46 is referring to introducing a braking force while the vehicle is still in motion, whether that be transferring kinetic energy into stored potential energy in the form of an elastic or spring, or turning off the motor to introduce the motors internal resistance to help slow the vehicle, or some other method other than only relying on the physical locking of the wingnut at the very end
I have a spring between the wingnut and the stopping hex nut already, if you were recommending that. How would I have the micro switch activate earlier though? The wingnut would activate the switch as it traveled over, and then release the button as it passed over. In that case, the vehicle would slow down for a.second, and Jeep going. Or, the wingnut would completely lock against the roller part, tearing off the whole lever. Unless I use 2 microswitches...
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
shrewdPanther46

Read through the brake system thread for advice

Return to “Battery Buggy B”