Nationals 2018

MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Re: Nationals 2018

Post by MadCow2357 »

windu34 wrote: On the subject of "speckles of dust", bring a swiffer if youre really worried and clean the track. I did this both years for electric vehilce, but honestly nearly all top 20 teams did this in division C so I really didnt end up pickung much dirt off the track
I will definitely bring a Swiffer! :lol:
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
JonB
Coach
Coach
State: FL

Post by JonB »

windu34 wrote:I did this both years for electric vehilce, but honestly nearly all top 20 teams did this in division C so I really didnt end up pickung much dirt off the track
For the sake of accuracy- you made other people do your cleaning at Nationals. haha
shrewdPanther46 wrote:We are all inexperienced compare to the legend windu so i guess my approximations aren't exactly realistic :?
This made me laugh. The man, the myth, the legend... Windu34. I can get his autograph if anyone is interested.
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by MadCow2357 »

JonB wrote:
windu34 wrote: This made me laugh. The man, the myth, the legend... Windu34. I can get his autograph if anyone is interested.
I want it!!! :D
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by windu34 »

JonB wrote:
windu34 wrote:I did this both years for electric vehilce, but honestly nearly all top 20 teams did this in division C so I really didnt end up pickung much dirt off the track
For the sake of accuracy- you made other people do your cleaning at Nationals. haha
Pro Tip: Harvard loves applicants that know their way around a swiffer
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by MadCow2357 »

windu34 wrote:
JonB wrote:
LOL will keep that in mind! :D
By the way you are at Harvard?!!!! :o Amazing!
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
shrewdPanther46
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

Is anyone planning on measuring the track there? Thoughts? I've been really debating about this because even small minute changes (like 2 cm or so) can make a big difference in the long run, so advice?
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

MadCow2357 wrote:
windu34 wrote:
JonB wrote:
LOL will keep that in mind! :D
By the way you are at Harvard?!!!! :o Amazing!
No not me, my partner who did the swiffering at nationals will be attending :lol:
Is anyone planning on measuring the track there? Thoughts? I've been really debating about this because even small minute changes (like 2 cm or so) can make a big difference in the long run, so advice?
I measured it both times at nationals and it was off by 1-2 cm in 2016 and a few millimeters in 2017 based on the laser distance meter i used iirc. I definitely would recommend double checking using a system that you use when you test just in case your way of measuring it is different than that of the supervisor because it certainly could make the difference. I would caution however if it takes more than 20-30 seconds to measure it, you might want to be careful that you do not run out of time for your runs (took us about 8 seconds to measure it)
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
shrewdPanther46

The problem is, I am not sure if a laser distance measurement thing is allowed, because we aren't allowed electrical devices for aligning. I feel like its kinda shady, so I submitted an FAQ. The way we always practice is with a standard tape measure thing, but I fear that we would either go overtime or cut it very close if we measure the track with it.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:The problem is, I am not sure if a laser distance measurement thing is allowed, because we aren't allowed electrical devices for aligning. I feel like its kinda shady, so I submitted an FAQ. The way we always practice is with a standard tape measure thing, but I fear that we would either go overtime or cut it very close if we measure the track with it.
See 3.f.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
shrewdPanther46

That rule discusses the use of electrical devices for SIGHTING/AIMING, not for figuring out the length of the track.

Return to “Battery Buggy B”